12 - "It is firm!"

I woke up a little before noon. Actually, Toby woke me up. He was running around the house who knows why. I get up from the bed with a grunt. I hate mornings.

"Toby!" I call my brother. "Shut up!" I open the door of my room and caught Toby running around the house with his friend Ian. They run down the stairs and I do my business in the bathroom after.

I go downstairs and to the kitchen where Nan is making lunch. "Good morning." I greet her with a smile.

"To you too." She continues to stir the sauce.

"Thank you for taking care of Alec yesterday." She's been his nurse while he was there and took care of him.

"It's my job, honey. Plus, I wouldn't let anything bad happen to him. He's your friend." I grab a glass of orange juice. "But let this also be a lesson to you. Never drink alcohol, well at least not as much as he did."

"Does that mean I am allowed to drink alcohol?" I smirk.

Nan looks at me with a stern look. "Not until you're 21." I laugh and nod, agreeing with her. "I am serious, Nicky. Do you know how many teenagers have their stomachs pumped a month? I see it all, so be careful with alcohol. And never do drugs, ever!" I nod, a bit afraid of my Nan's voice. She can be scary at times.

"I promise I will never do drugs." Nan nods.

I drink the juice in peace until I remember I still haven't told Nan about my plans today. And I haven't even texted Nina if she wants to come.

"Hey, Nan?"

"Hm?" She turns off the stove and I think she's done cooking.

"Can I go to the beach with Sam, Chace and Nina today?"

"Toby! Ian! Lunch!" She calls for the two boys. They both run into the kitchen and sit at the table while Nan sets all up, so we can eat. Plates filled with the delicious spaghetti with Bolognese sauce make my mouth water.

"So, can I?" I bring up the beach theme again.

"Have you done your homework?" Nan asks.

"Yes." I tell the truth. "I only had English homework and even that wasn't a lot, plus it was easy. I was done in 15 minutes, not even." Nan nods. "So, can I please go?"

"Sure." I grin from ear to ear like the Joker from the happiness.

"Where are you going now?" Toby asks me.

"The beach." I say with a smile.

"I want to go, too." Toby whines.

"No way. You are not going with me and my friends." I continue to eat.

"Why not?"

"First of all, you have company over," Nan says before I could. "And second, these are Nicky's friends. They are older and will do their own thing; they won't want to look after you." Thank you, Nan.

"Ian can come with me; I wasn't going to go without him." Toby whines once more and I roll my eyes. "And I know Nina and Sam."

"You are staying home, twerp." I say. "I am not going to look after you, I want to enjoy myself."

"Nan ..." He whines.

"She's right, Toby." His face sunk and I smirk to myself, that Nan took my side. "We'll go to the beach some other time, I promise." Toby smiles when he hears that.

The rest of the lunch went by in mostly silence and now I am in my room, texting Nina. I asked her if she's coming. She instantly replied that she is on her way to my house and will be here in half an hour.