28 - "How short?"

"Nicky?" Toby's voice wakes me up from the much deserved sleep. I open my eyes and see him standing in the doorway of my bedroom.

"What is it?" I yawn and sit up in bed, stretching in the process.

"Lunch is on the table."

I look to my right at the digital clock on my nightstand and see it is past midday. "I'll be right there." Toby nods and exits my bedroom.

After a good minute, I manage to get up from the bed. I open my curtains and the window, seeing Sam's shades are open and I can see him sleeping in his own bed. He's lying on his back with all 4 of his limbs outstretched over his bed. But the best part is that he's shirtless. I can't help but bite my lower lip while smiling to myself like an idiot. Next, I put my hair up in a ponytail and go to the bathroom where I do my business.

"Good morning." I greet Nan when I enter the kitchen, where the wonderful smell fills my nostrils. The food is on the table and I take a seat.

"Hello to you, too." Nan smiles and passes me the bowl with mashed potatoes in it. I fill my plate with food and we all begin to eat. "Did you have a good night sleep?"

"Yeah, it was so nice to catch up on my sleep."

"Nan, you said you need to tell Nicky something." Toby says to Nan and it catches my attention.

"Oh, that's right," Nan grabs her forehead. "Thank you, Toby." She gulps down water and then looks at me. "There is this event this Saturday that I need you to attend with me." I raise my eyebrows, clearly surprised my Nan is invited to that, too.

"What is it about?" I try to act like I don't have a clue about anything.

"Some charity thing ... you wouldn't be interested in the details. But there's the thing that people are bringing their children to show them how things go and whatnot about the future. Anyway, I obviously can't invite your dad or your uncle, so I need you to come with me."

"Sure, no problem, Nan." I nod my head and Nan smiles in appreciation at me. I want to mainly go, because Sam is going and I need to have an eye on this "date" of his. "What will I have to wear?"

"A dress, preferably." I scrunch up my nose. I really am not a girly girl and dresses aren't my strong point. "I'll give you the money for it."

"Thank you, Nan." I take another gulp from the glass. "Will I have to bring a date?"

"Since you're asking, you already have one." My eyes bulge out from their sockets and I almost choke on the mashed potatoes.

"W-what?" I cough due to the food.

"My co-worker has a son and you're going with him." My jaw drops onto the table and I feel like I will not be able to close it. What is it with my Nan and Mrs. Hale for hooking Sam and I up on dates for this charity party?! I wouldn't mind if they hooked us up together.

"What's his name?" I try to keep it cool and under control. But inside I am screaming and kicking at the chairs.

"Noah Hathaway." Again, I almost choke on my food and begin to cough like an old tractor.

"Is everything alright, Nicky?" Nan sounds concerned and I nod with tears stinging in my eyes from the pain from coughing.

"Yeah, I am just excited about Saturday." I lie, but it makes my Nan smile. "Where's Toby going to be?"

"Ellen Hale and I hired a babysitter for the twins and Toby for the night."

=

"You're going with him?!" Sam paces up and down the beach. I just told him what my Nan planned for me on Saturday. He isn't too happy with Nan's choice.