30 - "I know why you left."

This is my mom – Chrissy Wolfe.

These few words keep circling around my head and won't stop. How can this be? This is not right. It can't be.

Noah is not her son. They don't even share the same last name! Noah is not my brother!

"Nicky?" Sam's soft voice and touch brings me out of the trance. "Are you okay?"

"I have to go." I mumble under my breath and walk past everyone.

"What's wrong?" I hear Noah ask behind me while I keep distancing away from them.

My head is starting to spin more and more. This is all too much for me. It's too crazy!

"Here you are, dear." Nan catches me by the forearm. "I was just talking about you."

"It's so nice to finally meet you, Nicky. Alice told us so much about you." Some bald man with a mustache says to me. I am looking at him but I am not looking at him.

"Excuse me, but I have to go." I say and take a few steps back.

"Nicky!" I hear Nan's voice from behind me as I keep making my way through all these people.

I keep walking out of the dance hall and that's when I feel someone snatch my forearm again, making me stop.

"Will everyone just leave me alone?" I whine and turn around. My breath hitches in my throat and I snatch my arm from the woman's grip.

"Nicky ..." Chrissy starts. "Will you please calm down? It's no big deal."

"No big deal?!" I scream right into her face. "I just found out who my secret brother is! And you dare say it's not a big deal?!" A few people turn around to look at us, but I don't care. Let them judge.

"Yes, Noah is your brother. He doesn't know that, though." She says the last sentence more to herself than to me.

"He doesn't know about me?" I whisper while a few tears begin to fall. "You never told him you have a daughter?" My mother looks at the ground as if she's ashamed of herself. "No one knows about me." I say to myself. "Why would they? It's not like I matter." I sniff and wipe the tears on my cheeks.

"You do matter, Nicole." I shake my head while sniffing again.

"We both know I don't. I don't mean anything to you, so why should people know about me?"

"Nicole ..." She takes a step forward, but I take a step back. "You do matter. Why do you think I came looking for you?"

That's when it hits me. "I know why you left." Her eyes widen in horror as I say this. She knows I've figured it out. "You left because you cheated on my dad and got pregnant with Noah!" I scream out as more tears fall from my eyes like waterfalls.

"Mom?" Noah's voice sounds from behind Chrissy and she turns around the same time I look up. His expression says it all – he heard me. "What is Nicky saying?" Chrissy's lips part but she says nothing. This is a mess she can't just sweet under the carpet.

"I-it's nothing important, dear." She mumbles.

"Like I said – I am not important to you." I turn on my heel to walk away.

"No, don't go Nicky." Noah calls me back and I turn around. "What is all this?" I see Sam walk up to us and he comes to stand next to me. I waste no time in hugging him around the waist. He brings me closer and kisses the top of my head.

"Noah, dear, please don't get mad ..." Chrissy starts and he keeps looking from me, to his mother and the back to me. "The thing is that," She mumbles. "I don't want you to hate me –"