31 - "I've always wanted a sister."

It's been a tough few days. Almost a week, really. After my breakdown, I've been sick – constantly vomiting and I had a high fever. So, I've been feeling really down, not only because of my mother, but because of the sickness as well.

Everyone has been really helpful through it all – especially Sam. He would sneak into my room in the evening and kept me company until I fell asleep. He didn't care that I was sick and throwing up all the time, he was just here. And I couldn't be more grateful.

Nan has been very supportive through it all as well. She's been making me soups, and basically, just took care of me the entire time. I told her everything that has been going on with Chrissy the day after and she understood. She wasn't mad about me keeping this to myself; she was just surprised that my mom actually contacted me in the first place. When I came to the part about Chrissy cheating on dad, she surprised the poop out of me. She kept cursing the woman with all possible words. It kind of made my day.

And Nan also kept her word and sent my dad a letter the following day. No one knows if he is going to come, because that is not how things work in the military. We didn't get his letter, yet, but hope dies last, right?

There is another thing that has happened, which took me even more off the rails – Noah texted me. He said he wanted to meet up and I agreed. We have a lot to talk about. We're meeting at the beach in an hour, so I should probably roll out of bed.

I do that and go change. I've been in my room the whole day and came out only when I needed to use the bathroom or eat. I am not sick anymore, just lazy. I put on the bra and over it I pull a gray open shoulder top. I put on ripped jean shorts, and on my feet are the usual black Converse shoes.

I sit behind the desk and was about to put on a bit of make-up, but a knock on my door startles me

I sit behind the desk and was about to put on a bit of make-up, but a knock on my door startles me. "Come in." I say and Toby's head pops in. He closes the door behind himself. "What is it?"

"Are you okay, Nicky?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I ask as if nothing happened.

"I heard you crying the other night." I stop applying mascara on my eyelashes and look at him. He isn't talking about Saturday after the party. Yes, I've cried myself to sleep a few times after that.

"Um ..." I stand up from the chair and go sit next to Toby on the bed. "Things are pretty complicated for me right now."

"Why?" He questions. "You can tell me."

"You know how my mom left dad, right?" He nods and I take a deep breath. "Well, it turns out she cheated on him and had another baby." I bite my bottom lip, waiting for Toby's reaction. But his expression doesn't change. "Toby," I take a deep breath. "I have another brother." That's when his eyes widen and realizes what I am saying. "His name is Noah and he's a pretty great guy."

"You know him?" I nod.

"I am meeting with him just now."

"Is that why Nan has been writing a letter to dad, saying he needs to come home, because there was an emergency?"