•C h a p t e r O n e•

"Somewhere along this path that's choosen me, I know I'm going to fall down, feel lost, feel weak, but wherever it leads." -Olivia Holt

///

My mother used to tell me that I was always destined for greatness, that I was special. I always thought that was just her being my mother and making me feel good about myself. I never really thought it would actually be true. I learned that this was true when my father died in a war against the vampires and other wolves. When my father died my mother became weak, too weak to rule a pack as luna. Since I am their only child I was put into the alpha position at age fourteen. Not only was I the first female alpha in that pack, I was the youngest alpha ever.

Today I am turning sixteen, meaning I am able to find my mate. The whole pack is estatic but I am not. I don't want a mate. Not because I don't want to loose my position, I don't want to leave my mother nor my pack. This is my home, and I know having a mate will cause me to uproot and leave. I couldn't do that. I saw firsthand what having a mate does to you, my mother was nearly destroyed when my father died. I couldn't go through that.

***

"Alpha, we need you to hurry up and come down for your party." A young pup says with an excited gleam in her beautiful auburn eyes.

"I'll be down in a few minutes." I say while smiling down at her. Her blonde curls bounce along with her as she skips out of my office.

I sigh softly before exiting the lonely office that once belonged to my father, and his father and so on. I wander down the halls of my abode and into my mothers room. I'm surprised to see she isn't in here. Panic overwhelms me and I begin to frantically search for her. My mother always is in her room. She never leaves her dark room of pity.

I rush out of her room and down the steps. Once down the steps I see nobody is down here. Confusion overwhelms me as I look around. Before I can move a step all my pack members fly out from random places yelling "Surprise!"

I laugh loudly as my pack members embrace me. I feel warmth spread throughout my body at the affection my pack shows me. I say soft 'thank you's' to them as I search for my mother. I finally find her standing beside the table with a large grin plastered on her once tired and sad face. The woman isn't the same person I saw a few days ago, no this woman is the woman I knew when I was younger, the woman who baked me cookies, who read to me at night, who would play games with me. This woman was my mother before my father died.

"Mom!" I cry as I rush into her arms. She engulfs me tightly while patting my hair softly.

"I'm here, I'm back." She coos softly. "You don't need to fear any longer my child."

I sob loudly into her shoulder as my body begins to shake violently. I can hear some sniffles from the pack telling me they feel my pain and sorrows.

My mother gently lets me go and looks me in the eyes with her green ones. "Happy birthday little wolf." My mother says with a small smile when she says the nickname my fathe gave me.

I smile at her and look at my pack members as they smile at the renuion.

"Let's get this party started!" My cousin, and beta, Alana says with a small fist pump.

We all laugh at her as she begins to blush fiercley. Her mate; Bryce, walks up behind her and hugs her from behind causing her to blush even more.

"Presents?" I ask with hopeful eyes. Everyone chuckles whilst my mom playfully slaps me and sends me a playful glare.

"Rude." I mumble as I rub the spot she hit.

The pack members scatter around and gossip to each other.