•C h a p t e r T e n•

"I need you by my side, don't know how I'll survive. A day without you is like a year without rain." -Selena Gomez

C h a l l e n g i n g T h e A l p h a

C h a p t e r T e n

///

I open my eyes only to shut them instantly due to the harsh light that blinds me. The light illuminates the room reminding me that I'm in Rowan's bedroom. I turn around and come face-to-face with a sleeping Rowan. He looks so young and adorable! His eyes are closed and his long black eyelashes twitch every now and then. His plump lips are slightly parted as he breathes evenly. His hair is tousled everywhere but he still looks incredibly handsome.

It frightens me to think about what Jay could possibly do to Rowan once he discovers the decision Rowan and I have made. Jay made it pretty clear that he wants me but why? What could he possibly want me for? I know Jay is similar to me in the area of not wanting a mate, I know this. There's a motive behind his decision and I'm determined to discover what that motive is.

"Thinking about me?" A husky voice asks, breaking me away from my thoughts.

I giggle and playfully seat his bare chest. "You wish."

Rowan's eyes are still drenched in sleepiness but it's not unhealthy which relives me. Rowan's eyes avert from the bed to my eyes. His eyes shine with curiosity. "What's up?" He asks.

"Jay will do something to you." I murmur.

Rowan's eyes darken slightly and his jaw clenches. "I hate that this male has so much power over that pretty little head of yours. I swear when I get the chance I will destroy him."

I giggle softly and shake my head unknowingly. "You can't kill him."

Rowan raises an eyebrow at me but doesn't push for me to elaborate my demand. "Quit worrying Maddi, I'll be okay, and so will you."

I nod at his words and get off his bed and walk into the bathroom where I brush my hair with his comb and then I take a spare tooth brush which belongs to me when we were younger and brush my teeth using Colgate toothpaste. I reject the idea of a shower knowing full-well that my thoughts will drift towards my mate.

I exit the bathroom and flash a smile to Rowan who is playing some game on his Ps4. "I'm going to go down and eat something, you coming?" I ask Rowan while watching him push buttons viciously on his controller.

Rowan's head snaps up at the mention of food and completely abandons his video game and leads me downstairs to the kitchen where my pack members are.

I spot Alana and Bryce amongst the crowd who hasn't already eaten. The two mates are chattering anxiously between one another causing a spark of curiosity to ignite within me.

What're they talking about? I wonder.

Alana notices my gaze on her and looks at me and offers a small smile before going back to conversing with Bryce. I decide to ask her later but in the meantime I begin to search for my mother among the crowd. Panic consumes me as I don't spot her.

Please say she isn't going back to her old ways. I beg silently.

I ignore the negativity and walk into the kitchen and I nearly cry of in relief when I see my mother and two other women her age standing in front of the stove with aprons on.

"Mom." I breathe out whiling advancing towards her.

My mom whips her head around and smiles brightly at me. "Good morning Maddi."

I bring her in for an embrace which catches her off guard. She snaps out of it and hugs me back gently before pulling away and raising an eyebrow at me.

"I thought you weren't going to be here." I whisper softly while casting my head down and averting my eyes to the ground.

My mother sighs very softly and uses her index and middle finger to raise my chin up to meet her gaze.

"I'm here Maddison, I'm not goi-," before she can finish a panicked voice interrupts her.

"Alpha! We spot five wolves that reek of alpha Jay's pack!" Panic floods within me as I try to wrap my head around the idea of the war starting now!

I snap out of it and immediately begin barking orders.

"Mother, make sure all women and children and the elderly are hidden downstairs in the cells! Hurry!" I rush out while turning around and rushing back to the dining room where the wolves are anxiously waiting.

"All women and children and elderly go follow my mother! Others who are eligible to fight, remember your defensive moves and your attacks. Be alert and be prepared!" I bark out.

The fighting wolves and I all rush outside to the battlegrounds where Jay and four other wolves stand. I nearly loose my breath at the sight of him. His black hair is tousled on his head while his electric eyes blaze into mine causing shivers to spiral down my spine.

Rowan is right by my side lightly growling at Jay. I can tell Rowan hates this as much as I do.

"Maddison Holt, how nice to see you again." Jay says in wicked tone while smirking.

"Jay." I growl in rage.

Jay shakes his head, "tsk, tsk, tsk, really Maddison? Is that how you greet your mate? Or has that mutt beside you already made your forget me?" My blood drains from my face as Jay grins evilly at me.

He knows! That means Rowan is a target.

Did I make Rowan a player in Jay's vicious game?

"Well as you can tell, I am not here to throw a party, I want war, I will fight you and your pack and once I win I will take over with you as my Luna; if I feel generous enough that is." Jay explains his plan while scanning my army I've assembled.

"You won't win!" I growl as I take a threatening step towards him.

"Now, now, Maddison is that so? Remember this is my game, I make the rules, I choose the players, therefore I will win and I have decided that by winning I will destroy that mutt beside you, if I destroy him I win."

As fast as one can blink and arrow is shot out from the forest and is plunged into Rowan's stomach causing a gurgling scream to escape his mouth.

"No!" I scream as I rush over to Rowan who staggers slightly before dropping on his knees and falling on his side.

"No Rowan stay awake!" I plea as I touch his face.

Rowan smiles sadly at me before lightly shaking his head. "I love you Maddi, please remember that. Remember who you are and remember that strength comes from within." I cry out as he quotes my fathers last words.

"I love you so much don't leave me." I beg as I begin to ball like someone on the titanic.

I watch the life drain from Rowan's face as his eyes flutter close and heart stops beating, signaling that he has died.

My best-friend is dead.

///

Don't kill me! I almost cried while writing this:(

Next chapter will be violent!!

I'm sorry for all you Rowan and Maddi shippers but don't give up yet ;)

Please vote and comment to show your support for Rowan :)

Lots of love challengers:)