•C h a p t e r T w e n t y F i v e•

"How do you love someone without getting hurt?"

C h a l l e n g i n g   T h e   A l p h a

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y   F i v e

///

Choosing something that will make you win something and lose something is very difficult. It makes you think long and hard about what you're winning and what you're loosing. It makes you wonder if the price you pay for the item you win is worth the thing you loose, if it's worth the risk. Life and death is something that is more like a game when you think about it. Because certain things will make you one step closer to living but one wrong movement can make you fall to your immediate death. You're the player, you're the one in control, you control your fate and the end of it.

Which is what I did, I choose my fate. I accepted Leva's deal. It may seem irrational of me, to risk my life to free myself from my diabolical mate but put yourself in my shoes, this isn't what I want. I don't want a mate and pups. I want to rule my pack, be the best alpha I can.

I want to be free, not some prisoner.

I want to be a leader, not a follower.

       "Is this your ultimate choice? Once we start there is no going back." Leva says cautiously. Her voice holds trances of fear which makes my heart pound. Is this really a good idea?

"Yes, this is my ultimate choice." The way I see it, we die in the end anyways.

Leva sighs deeply but says nothing further.

"Will this work?" Alana asks nervously. Her hands are ringed together; a sign of nervousness.

"It should, I've done this a few times in my life and nothing has ever gone wrong." Leva says as she begins to grab stuff from her bag that she was given from a guard of hers. Leva grabs many stones that are like crystals, beautiful white crystals. She grabs a pouch that most likely is magic. As she continues to unfold everything I look around the pack grounds. The beautiful trees that stand so tall and proud, the grass that sways in rhythm  with the wind, the flowers that dance with the grass and wind. I look up at the sky and admire the grey canvas, a storm is coming. The clouds cluster together as if preparing themselves for the storm that they help create. Birds fly swiftly through the sky, most likely preparing for the storm as well.

I realize that if I die I will never see any of this again, I will never feel the grass between my toes, the rain dancing on my skin, the wind soaring around me. I will never smell the forest again, see the large trees again. I will never feel the wind in my fur again, never feel my paws on the forest ground as I run. I will never sing to the moon again....

So much is at cost but if I stay I face so much as well.

Jay will find me and force me back to his pack. I will never lead a pack again, I will never attend a pack meeting as alpha, I will never bond with a new pack member as they join my pack. I will never fight in war as leader, I will never taste the blood of a worthy ranking like myself. Instead, I will be mates with an alpha, my fathers killer, the destroyer to all. 

"Maddi." A soft voice calls causing my thoughts to crash down.

"Huh?" I ask while shaking my head. I look to see Leva and Alana looking at me in confusion.

"I asked if you were ready?" Leva asks in a calm voice.

"Yes, sorry, I am ready." I say while shaking my head and plastering a fake smile. Truth is I am not ready, but I don't think I ever will be. It's now or never.