•C h a p t e r T w e n t y T w o•

"Your words in my head, knives in my heart, you build me up so then I fall part, cause I'm only human."

C h a l l e n g i n g   T h e   A l p h a

C h a p t e r   T w e n t y   T w o

///

Dawn comes by quickly and my pack and I are off on our adventure to home. We are in our wolf form so that if an enemy comes and tries to harm us we are prepared.

My heart wants to trust my pack and know that they're loyal to me but my mind, my mind screams at me and warns me that they could easily turn their backs on me.

--

Hours past as we journey through the long and endless woods. The forest is awfully quite which has me more alerted and attentive.

We are closer to the pack but not close enough. I need to get back to them, they can't fend without a leader.

"Shift." I command to all my pack members. Instantly fur is replaced with bare skin. My pack and I are tired and need rest, much to my dismay.

"Alpha, how much longer do you suspect until we are home?" A young female asks.

"Soon." I answer her calmly.

I can feel their anxiousness to be settled into our home where weapons and more warriors are, I too am anxious to get home. Unfortunately not for the same reason, I need to see my family.

"Rest for five and then we head back again, we can't waste any time." I snap.

My pack members only nod and talk amongst one-another. My bones are tired and screaming at me to leave them be but I can't bring myself to oblige to their pleas. I have to keep going.

"Hey Maddi." A soft voice says from beside me.

I turn my head to see Rowan's she-wolf staring at me nervously. "Kloe." I acknowledge.

"Look, I know I shouldn't have challenged you. I'm sorry, I really am. Also, I'm sorry for Rowan's harsh and uncalled for words, he had no right to say that." Kloe says in a sincere voice.

I look at the girl and raise an eyebrow at her sudden attitude change. There's something wrong here and I don't like it. I don't trust her nor her sincerity. She's hiding something, and whatever it is could destroy us.

"Thanks!" I say in a gleeful tone.

My strategy is to play along in her game. I've become awfully good at these games.

Kloe nods with a forced smile and walks back to where Rowan and a few other pack member are standing and chattering.

Four hours later.

It's been a few hours and we finally have reached the pack house. What we find, isn't what we expect.

The pack house is destroyed, burned. Windows are shattered, weapons scatter the ground, injured and deceased bodies loiter the floor like a piece of trash.

Chaotic screams escape my pack members as the rush from behind me and to their friends and family. I stand in place staring in horror at my dead pack members, dead family members, dead friends.