•C h a p t e r T h i r t y T h r e e REWRITE•

"Things fade with time as do many things in this world. But, there are some things that we cannot let disappear." —Lucrecia Crescent

C h a l l e n g i n g T h e A l p h a

C h a p t e r T h i r t y T h r e e

*Rewritten

///

I let out an enraged scream that was being pent up inside me. My fist crumpled the letter, I allowed the letter to drop to the floor.

"We need to get Ella back." I snarled through gritted teeth. I didn't understand why I was so possesive over the young pup who did not belong to me, but in that moment it was as if I lost my own.

"I know, we will. I have already sent patrols out to try and track where your mother took Ella." Jay said apathetically. His tone wasn't uncaring, it was emotionless.

"No, we must do what my mother wants. She wants me to meet her at midnight and so I will do so." I said coldly.

The look on Jay's face was pure terror. I then realized what I said. "That is not what I meant, I will not leave anyone. I will stay with you, we will have to assemble a small army to hide in the woods. Then, when the moment is right they will strike."

Jay's face relaxed and went back to its cold state. "Okay."

I got off the bed and began to pace back and forth. Nothing was every supposed to happen like that. It was supposed to be easy. I realized in that moment that nothing is easy, everything comes with a price and every battle is filled with tricks and secrets. No game is ever a fair fight, Jay taught me that.

Jay left the room causing the silence to suffocate me. I've grown close with the silence since it was all I had for a while. I began to think of Alana and how disappointed she must be that I lost her daughter. Then my thoughts go back to Bryce, I wondered how he was, did Alana find him? Is he alright?

I stopped my pacing and decided to go downstairs and talk to Jay. I stumble down the stairs and used my senses to smell him out. I found him in his office the sight was heartbreaking. Papers were scattered everywhere. His head was in his head and he was rocking back and forth.

"Jay." I called out. His head snapped up and I nearly gasped at his face. He looked so tired and hurt. Purple bags decorated underneath his eyes and his eyes were bloodshot. I had just seen him minutes ago and I didn't even notice.

"What Emma?" He asked gruffly.

"What is wrong?" I asked but after thinking of my question I felt stupid and the look he gave me didn't help. "Sorry, ignore that." I squeaked.

Jay nodded and started to flip through some papers. I couldn't tell what they were but I assumed it was something to do with the pack. I wouldn't lie and say that it didn't irritate me that his sole concentration wasn't on finding Ella, because it did.

"Jay, we need to start preparing the warriors." I said coolly.

"Emma, I already did okay? Now please if your just going to stand there go do it somewhere else." Jay snapped.

I flinched slightly at his tone of voice. I didn't like it, I didn't like how he was acting towards me. I sounded pathetic but for a second, I thought that what he said earlier was true, that he meant it when he said he would try, I guess I was wrong.

Jay ran his fingers through his hair and sighed deeply before looking back to me with a raised eyebrow. "Well? Aren't you leaving?" He asked in a cocky tone.