Chapter Twenty One

Sam's P.O.V..

I sat at Harry's side for hours just hoping he would be okay, it was probably nothing but I could feel him burning up more every hour. Every member of the group came in to our room at some point but still I sat there right by his side refusing to leave. The thought of losing him now was a lot more scary than giving him away all those years ago.

*FLASHBACK*

"Oh Sam he is Beautiful." Helena exclaimed as she wrapped her arms tightly around my body.
"He sure is." I whispered just loud enough for me to hear.
"Can... Can I hold him?" Joseph(Jo) asked looking me in the eye.
"He's your son." I stated simply, trying to sounds confident with my decision. I knew I had to go through with giving him up but after going through this whole pregnancy and finally having him here I just wanted to keep him for myself.

I watched closely as Joseph gently lifted the little bundle of joy out of the bake do crib he was in and brought him to his chest.
"Hello there my baby boy. I'm your daddy and that beautiful woman over by here is mommy." He whispered whilst taking hold of Helena's hand.
"And we love you more than you'll ever know." Helena added.

I shifted slightly on the bed and sucked in a sharp breathe as pain shot through my body. Helena and Jo didn't seem to notice I was in pain as they stood there in awe looking at their new baby.
"What's his name?" I asked quietly. They both lookes at eachother and smiled.
"Harry." They said in unison. I smiled politely back and nodded my head as the nurse from earlier came in.

The nurse walked around my bed and stopped next to the little make do crib for Harry and looked up towards Helena and Joseph.
"I'm sorry to interupt but visiting time is over. You can come back first thing in the morning though." She said sweetly.
"Okay. Thank You." They both whispered before saying their goodbye's and leaving the room. I sighed and fell back against my pillow which caused more pain to surge through my body.

The nurse walked back to my bedside and began to check my notes.
"Excuse me.. uh.." I stopped realising I didn't know her name.
"Tessa. Tessa Jenkins." She said holding out her hand. I gladly shook her hand and sat up really slowly.
"How long will the pain last?" I asked quietly.
"Which pain?" She said giving me a slight glance. What did she mean 'which pain?'. Maybe the raging pain that was going through my body everytime I moved I thought to myself.

I watched as she checked Harry over before turning and facing me fully.
"The pain that I get everytime I move?" I answered simply.
"Oh just a couple of days, a week tops." She replied. Everything went quiet for a few minutes and the silence became very awkward in that moment.
"It gets easier." She said as she placed Harry back down to sleep.
"I know. A few days to a week and the pain will go." I said repeating what she said earlier to me.

I looked up and Tessa gave out a small chuckle shaking her head.
"Not that sweetheart. Giving him up, it gets easier with time." She whispered looking down at the floor.
"How? I don't want to leave him go. I can't do it." I said defeated.
"Trust me I felt the same way. My little girl meant the world to me but I couldn't give her what she needed, So me and my boyfriend gave her up." Tessa sighed as she sat on the side of the bed.
"What happened to your boyfriend?" I questioned nervously.
"He stood by me, really stepped up and became a man. We're married with 3 kids now." She said sweetly.

I nodded my head and I dropped the subject, I knew it was hard for her to talk about you could see it in her eyes. Tessa gave me one last check over before saying goodbye to me and Harry then leaving the room, leaving me and him alone. I pushed myself to get up despite the pain raging through my stomach and legs, and I walked over to were Harry lay wrapped up.
"Goodnight baby boy." I whispered giving him a small kiss on his cheek before making my way back to bed and slowly lying back down on the bed and closing my eyes drifting off in to a sleep.
~~
A few days went by and Helena and Jo came here everyday to learn how to bath, change and feed Harry properly but all I could do was watch. Finally it was the morning of the day I had not been looking forward to, I had to give Harry over today. Tessa came in and helped me get ready, seen as I was still in pain and I quickly plucked Harry out of his little basket and held him close.