Chapter Forty Two

Author's Note..

There is going to be a time jump in this chapter and I'm going straight to the start of season Four :)!

Just to let you all know..

I hope you all enjoy this one :)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daryl's P.O.V..

I slowly made my way back in to the prison after being on a run for a couple of days. It was quite light outside and I knew it wouldn't be long before Sam got up, ready for the day.

"Baby brother.." Merle greeted. "How long are you planning on staying this time?" He asked from the doorway of his cell.

"Not long." I grunted.

"Daryl..." He trailed off and made me look up at him. "You need to be here more.. It's fine that you're helping the group but.." He added, looking down at me.

"But what Merle?" I snapped, moving closer to him and stepping in to his cell.

I knew what he was getting at but I didn't know what else to do. Over the last few months I hadn't really been in in the prison and I definitely hadn't seen much of Sam.

"You need to spend some time with Sam.. You got her in this situation, you need to be there for her now." He mumbled, trying to hide the fact that he actually cared.

"I know.. but.. but it's not that easy." I whispered and positioned myself against the wall.

I knew how awful I had treated Sam and Harry over this length of time and there was only one way to put it right.

"It is easy!" He shouted. "You're not the one sitting up with her at night as she cries on your shoulder. You're never here Daryl.. Do you know how scared she is? .... Do you?" He questioned, gradually raising his voice with each word.

"No.." I whispered.

"Exactly.. You are not doing this anymore. I'm taking the next run.. You are staying here and you're going to speak with Sam." He demanded, pushing me out of the door towards the steps.

I didn't have any time to respond and the group were slowly making their way around the prison.

"Daryl.." Rick called, making me spin around on the step. "You ready to take that run in to town?" He asked.

"I'll take that one.." Merle shouted from his door and glared at me, telling me to get a move on. Rick looked uneasy with the decision but when I shook my head he reluctantly agreed to let me stay.

I turned back on the steps and made my way up to mine and Sam's cell.

"Morning Beautiful." I whispered, kissing her cheek lightly. I felt her move slightly on the bed as I sat down and finally she opened her eyes.

"You're back." She exclaimed, pulling herself up quickly and wrapping her arms around my neck.

"I'm Sorry." I breathed out before burying my head in her hair. Neither of us said anything else for a while we just sat there in eachother's arms.

I could feel her stomach pressed against mine and then I felt a few kicks.

"I think someone is happy to hear your voice." Sam whispered and pulled my hand to the side of her stomach. I could feel the movement a lot more now and I watched as a tear slowly slipped down Sam's cheek.

"I'm not going to leave you again." I promised quietly.

"How long will that last?" She responded, looking me right in the eye.