Chapter Forty Four

Sam's P.O.V..

I could hear Daryl's faint voice, over the soft cries of Maci as I slowly opened my eyes and rolled over.

"Good Morning sweetheart." He whispered, pulling her up in to his arms. Harry was still sleeping silently beside me, even when Daryl sat on the bed he didn't stir. "I think somebody is hungry.." Daryl stated, rubbing Maci's belly a little.

I tried to pull myself off the bed to go and make up a bottle, but instantly I was pushed back down.

"I don't think so Sam.. I'll go and do it." Daryl w

said quietly. I held my arms out and he gently placed Maci in them, heading out the door and straight down th steps. I held our little girl closer to my chest and she wrapped her hand quickly around my little finger.

"Hello baby girl.. I'm your mommy." I whispered.

I felt Harry sit up beside me, just as Maci started to cry again.

"Okay.. Okay..Daddy will be back now." I soothed. Even though she couldn't understand me, It felt good to finally talk to her and forget about the world outside.

"Can.. Can I.. try?" Harry asked, nervously holding his hands out as Maci's cries got louder.

I made sure he had a hold of her properly before turning to face him, sitting indian style. I wasn't expecting her to stop crying but within a few seconds of Harry holding her, there was complete silence.

"This is so special." I whispered to myself, watching as they both stared in to each others eyes. I was too busy watching them to even notice Daryl coming back in to the cell with a ready made bottle.

As soon as Harry noticed Daryl he handed Maci back to me and shot off the bed, heading out of the door.

"Do you want to feed her?" Daryl asked, handing the bottle over to me when I nodded. We both lay our backs against the wall and he slipped his arm around my waist pulling me in to him as I started to feed her. Daryl raised his other hand and gently stroked Maci's head whilst smiling down at her.

I finally looked up from them both when I heard a sigh from the doorway. I could see Harry's shoulder slump as he dropped his head, slowly walking down the steps.

"Strange..." I thought out loud.

"What's wrong?" Daryl asked quietly. I looked up to meet his gaze and resting my head on his shoulder.

"It's just Harry.. He.. He's been acting really wierd this morning." I sighed.

First he rushed out of the room, ignoring Daryl and then he acted like that.

"Maybe he.." I started but quickly stopped myself when I realised there was no way it would be true.

"Maybe he what?" Daryl quizzed. I thought about it for a minute and shook my head in response to him, setting Maci's now empty bottle down at the side.

"Never mind." I answered. I slowly sat Maci up on my lap anr gently rubbed and tapped on her back.

It fell really quiet in the room with the only noise coming occasionally from Maci.

"I'll go and talk to him in a bit." Daryl stated, noticing the worry behind my eyes.

"Thank You." I sighed in relief. I cuddled closer in to his side, letting the baby lay down peacefully in arms.

"You know.. She looks exactly like you." He said with a small smile.

I knew he was right, she did look like me but she had the main Dixon feature on her face.