Chapter Thirty Six

Sam's P.O.V..

I felt Daryl put an arm around my waist and attempt to pull me up as the walker approached but I couldn't move.

"Come On." He growled in my ear, tugging on my body until I was finally on my feet.

"You have to do it." I stated simply, he closed his eyes and nodded in regret. I watched as he stepped forward pushing the walker back everytime it came near. "Do it." I demanded as he pushed him to the ground and hovered over the top of him.

Daryl's arm come back as a tear slipped down my cheek before he plunged the sharp object through the skull a few times.

"We need to go." Daryl said quietly pulling himself up and wiping his eyes. "I need to find him." He added walking towards me. As much as we both disliked Darren he was still part of the family from the cabin but now.. now he was gone.

I nodded slowly, wiping the tears from my face and reaching up to wipe the blood from near Daryl's eyes.

"Let's go get your brother back." I whispered, walking slowly behind him towards the old and battered buildings. I could hear movement coming from a building to the right of us and I steered off towards it. Daryl spotted my change in direction and followed behind me as I peered through the broken window.

The sight infront of me wasn't what I har expected though as I stepped back in to Daryl.

"Is he in there?" Daryl asked and I nodded weakly, looking at Merle's body on the floor right by the window. He quickly rushed in to the building and he bent down next to the lifeless body and checked for a heartbeat, lifting his head up slowly.

"It's faint. We need to move him back to the prison." He said quietly, trying to stop himself from breaking down on the spot.

I walked around the cabin to meet him at the doors, taking Merle's good arm and pulling it around my shoulders.

"We need a car."I stated simply, looking around until I spotted one. "Over there." I whispered, pulling them both along towards the black car just past all the walkers. I quickly pulled the back door open, gently pushing Merle in before both Daryl and I got in to the front seats.

"He's going to be fine." I whispered, trying to convince myself more than Daryl as he started the car up.

We started moving slowly to begin with but as soon as we got to the road Daryl pushed his foot harder on the pedal.

"Almost there." I stated as we hit the final stretch before the prison. The car remained silent as the large gates came in to view, with Carol there ready to open them for us as we flew through them.

"What happened?" Rick demanded as we pulled Merle out of the car and carried him in through the prison door.

"We found him like this.." Daryl mumbled, placing the barely breathing body on to the large table.

I ripped Merle's white tank top up the middle, revealing a gun shot wound just above the heart.

"The Governor?" I suggested looking up at Daryl and Rick as Hershel hobbled over. They both nodded at me before I turned and sat at the table. The more I thought about the situation the more confused I got, Why was Merle anywhere near that place? I questioned in my head. I was quickly brought out of my thoughts when a large tray of medical supplies were dropped on to the table next to Hershel making me jump.

I slid off the seat and made my way to the cells, not wanting to see what they were going to do to Merle.

"Mom.. You're back." Harry yelled with relief , I bent down as he ran straight in to my arms. "Ewww." He grumbled pulling his head back away from my shoulder, his cheek covered in blood. I looked down and the left shoulder of my shirt was drenched with the thick red liquid.