Chapter Forty Three.

Daryl's P.O.V..

I started to panic as Carol handed our tiny baby girl over to me and there was nothing but silence.

"Rub the back Daryl.." She said and I quickly did as I was told. After a few gentle movements I heard the soft cry and felt my whole body relax.

"You did it Beautiful." I whispered, kissing Sam's red cheek as tears started to flow freely down my cheeks. "We've got our baby girl." I added proudly, looking in to her beautiful eyes and standing up at the side of the bed.

I could see Sam try to smile but I knew there was something wrong when she started to close her eyes.

"Sam... Don't close your eyes.." Hershel demanded, trying to gently shake her body. I noticed her face draining all of it's colour and I dropped to my knees.

"Nooo." I cried out at the same time, holding the small bundle in my arms closer to my chest.

I reached my hand out and laced my fingers with hers. I felt her give my shaking hand the lightest squeeze ever as she grew even weaker.

"I Love You.." She whispered before her body went limp and she wasn't moving. I didn't move as the room fell completely silent and Hershel started to check her over.

"Please.." I whispered, struggling to even finish the sentence. I felt myself being lifted off the ground and Merle gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze as he sat me down against the wall.

I was just staring at Hershel and Carol as they worked around Sam's body trying everything to keep her alive.

"Daryl.." Harry sobbed and I knew he was feeling just as bad as I was if not worse.

"Come here.." I whispered, trying to comfort him as he snuggled in to my spare side.

"There's a pulse.." Carol shouted in relief, filling me with hope.

"But it's very faint and.. and she's.. lost a lot of blood." Hershel added, looking over to Merle.

I shifted my gaze from Sam's body over to Merle with pleading eyes.

"Take as much as you need." Merle responded, sitting down on a small chair and holding his arm out. Carol rushed out of the room and I felt Hershel lightly shake my shoulder.

"Take the next cell over.. There are things in there for the baby." He told me, holding his hand out for me to take. I slowly let go of Harry before getting up and picking him up in to my other arm.

I went to turn and say something but Hershel put his hand up to stop me.

"No Daryl.. He doesn't need to see any of this. I'll call you if anything changes." He assured me before lightly pushing me out of the door. I walked in to the next cell and just as Hershel had informed me, there was a sleeping basket for the baby, clothes, bottles and everything else we would need.

I set the baby down in her crib and set Harry down on the floor.

"Now.. What should we put on your sister?" I questioned, trying to smile but he could see straight through me.

"This.." He whispered pulling out a tiny one piece. I looked down at him and ruffled his hair slightly when I read the front of the suit. 'I Love My Mummy.' it read and I fought to keep the tears back once again.

I grabbed a diaper as well and slowly picked her up and we all walked over to the bed.

"Have you ever done this buddy?" I asked Harry as we both stared at the clothing, trying to figure it out.