Chapter Forty

Sam's P.O.V..

I slowly sat down on the bed and Daryl sat beside me, gently resting his hand on my stomach.

"We have some important news for you all.." I began and everyone turned their attention to us both.  I laced my fingers with his, I knew I had to tell them but I really didn't know how to do it.

"Well?" Dale questioned, after a few minutes of complete silence between us all.

"Well.. I'm.. I umm.. We're having.." I stuttered, stopping when I noticed Merle's eyes shifting from my stomach to Daryl's eyes.

"She's having a baby.." He stated quietly, looking to me for confirmation.

I shifted slowly under his powerful gaze and slowly nodded my head.

"You're pregnant?" Dale questioned, his voice full of confusion. I couldn't find the words to answer so I just nodded again. The room fell silent, the only noise coming from the group outside the cell. I looked around at each of them individually, Dale had a look of complete shock on his face, Harry had a slight smile forming on his lips but Merle, he had an unreadable expression and it slightly worried me.

I cleared my throat and held my arms out towards Harry and he jumped on to my lap.

"Are you okay with this?" I whispered and he nodded eagerly with a smile on his lips.

"Is it a girl?" He asked quietly.

"We'll have to wait and see buddy." Daryl chuckled along with me and Dale but Merle was still silent.

"I hope it's a girl.." He stated more to himself than us but it left me confused.

"Why?" Both me and Daryl questioned at the same time.

"So.. So I can kick someone's ass if they mess with her." He said proudly.

"Excuse me?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him as his face started to turn red.

"Sorry mom." He whispered.

I let out a slight chuckle and wrapped my arms tightly around him before kissing his forehead.

"Big brother Harry.." He stated confidently and I nodded my head. "This is so cool." He muttered.

"Yeah.. and we have.. Grampa Dale.." I said pointing over to Dale, looking to him for approval and a huge smile spread across his face as he nodded. "And.. " I started but Daryl looked over to him.

"Uncle Merle..." He said, finishing off my sentence which made Merle finally look up.

I waited for an answer but he got up off the bed and walked out of the cell door, heading for the exit of the prison.

"I'll go." Daryl whispered, stopping me from following Merle to find out what was wrong. I nodded in reply and watched him make his way out of the cell leaving me with Harry and Dale.

Daryl's P.O.V..

I pushed the outside gate open and looked around to see where Merle had gone and I finally spotted him, kicking stones with his boots.

"Hey.." I called, slowly making my way towards him but he turned his back to me. "What's with you?" I asked, stopping right behind him.

"What do you think?" He scoffed, turning to face me, his face red with anger.

"You were happy for us this morning.." I stated in confusion.

"That was before..I.. When I didn't know she.. she was.. pregnant." He growled and kicked the fence.