Chapter 2

Dean has no problem with making friends. It's his specialty, actually. He can walk up to anyone and get them to love him, with little to no effort. That's why, when he sees the hot redhead in the hall, he struts over to her. He'll get her to fall for him in no time.
"Hey there," he greets her with his charming smile.
"Hi!" she replies enthusiastically. "I don't think I've seen you around before. Are you new?"
"Yeah. I'm Dean."
"I'm Charlie."
"Charlie," he repeats. "I love it." It's not really true; it's a pretty normal name, nothing special. Still, he says it to every girl, and they love it.
"Thanks! Oh, hold on." She waves at someone over her shoulder. "Hey! Kev!"
An Asian boy joins them, and Dean feels a pang of disappointment. She's already got a boyfriend? She'd dump this Kev kid in a heartbeat for him, though. He's seen it happen before, and he's sure it will happen again.
"Hi," he greets them.
"Hey, I'm Dean."
"Kevin Tran."
"Hi, Kevin," Dean says.
"Hey, Kev, what did you get on the last problem from the math homework?" Charlie asks.
"Um... I think it was undefined, but that might have been the one before that one."
"Undefined or zero?" Charlie asks.
Kevin goes into this long discussion about why it would be undefined, and Dean understands none of it. He excuses himself midway through it, and Charlie tells him that she's talk to him later as he leaves. Score one for Dean! He hasn't even been at school ten minutes, and he's already got someone that wants to hang out with him.
Dean doesn't notice the boy in front of him until he's walking into them. He's shorter than Dean, but not by much. He's still taller than a lot of people here. When he glances up at Dean, he's struck by the boy's blue eyes. It almost looks unnatural to him.
"Sorry," the boy mutters quietly, scurrying off before Dean can say anything. Dean watches him go, wondering what his deal is. When he's out of sight, Dean looks for someone to help him find his class. Or perhaps the janitor's closet, if you get what he means. His eyes land on another redhead, also standing alone. Dean doesn't always go after redheads, but damn, these two are hot.
Dean heads over to the girl, once again wearing his perfect grin. "Hey, there."
She looks up at him, being a bit shorter than him. "Hi." She isn't as enthusiastic as Charlie has been, but she's still as friendly as a normal person would be.
"I'm new here, and I was hoping you could show me around," he says.
She nods. "Alright. I'm Anna, by the way."
"I'm Dean."
"Hi, Dean. Where do you want to go first?"
She leads him around everywhere; gym, lunch room, a lot of the class rooms, chatting the whole way. Finally, a few minutes before the late bell, she asks what class she should be bringing him to.
"Um... Computer something or other?" He pulls out his schedule and shows it to her.
"Oh, that is right over here." She leads him to a room full of large, old-looking computers, not far from here they're standing. "Ta-da!"
Dean grins. "Thanks."
Anna smiles back. "No problem. If you ever need help, find me, 'kay?"
Dean nods. "Yeah, sure thing." He winks at her before entering the computer lab. Looking around, he notices Charlie and Kevin sitting together, with some complicated-looking program on Charlie's computer. Charlie looks up and waves him over. Dean sits down next to her, with a shorter boy with fairly long, blonde hair next to him. Not as long as his brother Sam's hair, though.
"Hey, Dean!" Charlie greets him. "I can't believe we have first block together!"
Dean chuckles. "Yeah, it's great!" he agrees. "It's nice to know there's at least one not completely insane person in the room."
Charlie gives him a mischievous grin. "Who says I'm not completely insane?" She laughs, back to her normal self. "No, there are many less crazy people than me here. Kevin, for example. Kevin says things and they actually make sense! It's so strange!"
Dean laughs. "Making sense? Who does that these days? You and I should not make sense together more often."
Charlie's smile widens as she says excitedly, "Did we just become best friends?"
"Of course!" Damn, friend zoned already? He'll have to change that to at least include some benefits.
"Dean, if you're trying to hit on her, she's gay, by the way," Kevin says. "Just thought you should know."
Dammit! Hopefully Anna isn't a lesbian too, because he can't go his entire year with no hot girls chasing after him. It just can't happen. Dean doesn't let his disappointment about this unfortunate turn of events show.
"Hey, to each their own," he says with an uncaring shrug. "What are you doing there?" he asks, changing the subject to her computer.
Charlie shrugs, quickly minimizing the program. "Nothing, nothing." Dean raises an eyebrow. "Okay, maybe I was hacking into government files..."
Dean laughs. "Seriously?"
She nods slightly. "I want to know if they really found aliens!"
"Have they?"
Charlie shrugs. "Not sure yet. I just started working on this. I can tell you tomorrow, though. I'll be in by then."
Dean can't keep the impressed expression off his face. "Really? Do you do this a lot?"
She nods. "Yeah, I need something to do with my time. Either that or hacking into bank accounts, and I don't really want to steal people's money, so I'll stick with government files. Like, those emails that Hillary lost? They were videos of dogs doing drugs as an experiment the government did. I'd say it's horrible, but have you ever seen a high puppy? It's hilarious!"
Dean laughs again. This girl is his kind of crazy. He doesn't care that she isn't into him. For once, he'd be glad to just be friends with her. He hopes Sam is making friends, too.