Chapter 4

"Hey, guys!" a voice shouts from the doorway. Everyone whips their heads around to face it, including Dean and his new friends. The room becomes silent immediately. In the doorway is a tall man with short blond hair and an awesome leather jacket that Dean can't help but envy. John would never let him spend so much money on one jacket.
"Who's that?" Dean asks Charlie.
"Lucifer," Charlie replies quietly. "Probably not someone you want to get involved with."
Lucifer. Well, the name seems to suit him fine. He seems like he's going to be the Satan of this hellhole.
"Hey, Michael!" Lucifer says, leaning on his arm that rests on the doorway.
Dean looks around. Who's this Michael person? No one responds to the name.
"Am I a ghost?" Lucifer asks. "Can you not see me? Hey, you, am I a ghost?" He points at Dean.
"Not sure. Maybe you should try walking into a wall. If you're a ghost, you'll go right through. If not, well, at least it'll be entertaining for the rest of us."
If he expected that to annoy the kid, it doesn't work. Instead, Lucifer just grins.
"New kid, I'm assuming?"
Dean nods. "Yeah, what of it?"
Lucifer puts his hands up as a sign of peace. "Nothing, just wondering how you got Michael to hang out with you. Even I can't do that, and we've been living together for 18 years!"
Dean raises an eyebrow. "I don't even know who Michael is."
"Me," the kid next to Dean says. "Ignore him. It's better for all of us."
Lucifer clutches his heart in mock hurt. "From my own brother."
"Unlike you, some of us are trying not to fail school. Mind letting me work in peace?"
Lucifer frowns. "You're not fun. Alright, see you later. I'm gonna go bug little Cassie."
Michael sighs. "Leave the kid alone. Go find Gabriel."
"Already did that."
"Balthazar?"
"Not sure where his room is this block."
"Anna?"
Lucifer rolls his eyes. "Fine. See you after school."
"Unfortunately."
Lucifer laughs as he leaves, not finding his brother's words hurtful at all. When he's gone, Michael turns back to his computer silently, continuing to work on whatever he's doing. Dean realizes immediately that that's not what they're supposed to be doing.
"What's that?" Dean asks him. Is he going to answer? Lucifer said he was surprised when he thought Dean and Michael were chatting. Maybe he only talks to his brother.
Michael glances at him, then seems to register that Dean is talking to him. "I'm attempting to change the script for Instagram so it goes back to its old format for my brother."
"That's nice of you," Dean says.
"No, my brother wants to get back at my other brother for a prank he pulled, so I'm going to change his Instagram back to the oldest format it had."
Dean laughs. "Even better."
Michael just shrugs as he gets back to his editing. He opens up Instagram on the browser, but it crashes. Going back to the script, he starts muttering to himself that he can't figure out what he did wrong.
"Typo," Charlie says suddenly. "It says 'lf' not 'if.'"
Michael finds that spot and fixes it. "Thanks," he says, opening up Instagram. Sure enough, it's completely different than the current version. Michael grins and copies the script to email to himself, probably to somehow edit his brother's phone. He starts doing something else silently, and Dean doesn't bother to ask what it is. Clearly Michael isn't very social. He's a lot like Sam, apparently, and Dean knows Sam isn't faking it when he doesn't talk. Unless it's required for a grade, he does not want to talk to anyone. Michael may be the same way. Or he could be shy. Could go either way with that.
"Charlie, help me!" Dean whines, not sure what he's doing.
"What do you need help with?"
"Everything."
Charlie sighs as if she's disappointed, but he can see the smile on her face. "Alright, let's go."

Castiel sits in the front of the room, attempting to hide from the obnoxious people in the back. He does that in all his classes, knowing that the people in the back are generally the troublemakers, and those are the people he wants to stay away from. Actually, he wants to stay away from everyone, but the loud people especially.
Castiel doesn't look up from his book when he notices someone sit down next to him. They probably just don't want to sit with whoever they were sitting with before. Castiel can't blame them. There isn't a single person in this class he would want to talk to, even if his people skills weren't so rusty.
"Hey, Cassie!"
Castiel looks up now, but he already knows who it is. Only his brother calls him "Cassie," and he knows Lucifer rarely goes to first block. Or any block.
"What, no 'hello?'" Lucifer says in mock hurt.
"Hi," Castiel mutters, avoiding Lucifer's stare as he buries his head in his book.
"So, how's class?" Lucifer asks, not really caring about the answer. The only reason he asks is the reason he's in the room in the first place. He knows Castiel doesn't like to speak in public, so he likes to make him.
"Fine."
"What class is this again?"
"Economics."
Lucifer nods. "Right. Of course. Little Cassie's going to be a doctor just like Chuck and get all the money, so he better learn how to keep it."
"Actually, it's a required course," Castiel says. "I did all your work when you were my age, remember?"
Lucifer nods again, remembering what he considers happy times. "I never thanked you for that, did I?"
"No."
"Yeah, well, I'm not. Perfect little Cassie does whatever he's told. You don't need a thank you, because you'd do it anyway."
Castiel clamps his mouth shut and remains silent. One day without his brother. Is that too much to ask?