Chapter 31

Lucifer knows he should be paying attention to people he surrounds himself with every day-read: stealing all their attention-but he can't. His eyes are stuck on Castiel. Castiel, the little boy who could never speak, now laughing with a group of friends. Lucifer hasn't seen that from him before. He's almost positive it's never happened. It's amazing to watch, really. Lucifer doesn't care that he's not one of the people he's talking to. He's just glad to see Castiel having fun.
"Hey, Lucifer!" A voice snaps him out of his trance.
"'Sup?" Lucifer replies. Who's this again? Asasel? Azazel? Lucifer doesn't know. He wouldn't even remember the guy if it wasn't for his freaky yellow eyes. It's almost supernaturally yellow.
"Who're you lookin' at?" Yellow Eyes asks.
"No one," Lucifer lies.
Yellow Eyes smirks. "Is this no one hot?"
Lucifer know what he's thinking. He assumes the person Lucifer was looking at is a hot chick he wants to bang. Lucifer doesn't really feel like telling him the truth, so he just agrees.
"Which one?" another boy asks. Dick, or something like that. He's the fancy guy of the group, always wearing a suit, but he fits in well enough. Actually, he isn't the only one to wear a suit. So does that other guy, Crowley or something. Who names their kid Crowley? It's almost as bad as the name Fergus.
Lucifer imitates zipping his lips. "She's all mine."
"Then who should we stay away from?" Dick asks.
"I don't know her name," Lucifer replies. "And I probably never will."
"What's she look like?" Yellow Eyes asks.
"Black hair," Lucifer says, but he shouldn't be able to see anything else from someone far away, so he doesn't go into details.
Before they can ask more, the bell rings. The group gets up and walks out of the room together, Lucifer in the lead. This is how it always goes. Lucifer is the head of the group; always has been, always will be.
Azazel snickers from behind him. He nudges Lucifer and gestures to a kid nearby. He's small, probably underweight with no muscles and thick framed glasses. He's walking by nervously, his eye on a locker not far from them, probably to put his giant stack of books away. If you looked up the word "nerd" in the dictionary, a picture of this boy would show up.
"Come on, we'll show him," Dick says with a smirk.
The boy risks a glance before scurrying to his locker. He opens it quickly and shoves his stuff in there, leaving a large gap where nothing fills it.
"He'd fit perfectly in there," Yellow Eyes observes.
"Come on, Lucifer," Dick prompts him. "Before he shuts his locker!"
He's about to close his locker, and Yellow Eyes steps in front of Lucifer. "My turn, then."
He walks up to the nerd and shoves him in the locker. He doesn't fit, surprisingly, but it clearly scares the crap out of him. He yelps, then goes dead silent as Yellow Eyes tries again. He squeezes his eyes shut, though Lucifer isn't sure if he's trying to pretend it isn't happening, or trying to pretend a giant crowd hasn't gathered to watch it.
Lucifer takes a step forward and takes Yellow Eye's arm before he can try a third time. "I think that's enough," he says in a low voice.
"Oh, I'm just getting started," Yellow Eyes replies with a smirk.
"No, you're not," Lucifer says in a harsh tone. He walks up to the kid, trembling with fear by his locker. Lucifer pushes him away by the small of his back. "Go." He wastes no time in running away, so Lucifer closes his locker for him.
"What the hell was that for?" Yellow Eyes yells, outraged.
"Leave the kid alone," Lucifer commands.
"Why? You never care what we do to them. Hell, you're usually doing it yourself. They're no one. You know that."
"Yeah? Well, maybe I should shove you in a locker, too."
"What the hell is going on with you, man?" Dick asks. "Why do you care all of a sudden?"
"Because unlike you, I'm not a complete asshole!" Lucifer replies angrily. "Seriously, kid, knock it off."
"No way!" Yellow Eyes protests. "Why should I?"
"Because I told you to."
Usually, that's enough to shut him up. Now, it isn't. Yellow Eyes narrows his eyes at Lucifer. "And why should I listen to you?"
"Because I'm in charge."
"Not anymore," Dick says.
"You're out," Yellow Eyes adds.
Lucifer doesn't hesitate. "Good. I don't know why I ever wanted to be 'in' in the first place." With that, he storms away, leaving a crowd of awed spectators watching him. Including, Lucifer realizes as he walks by, Castiel.