Chapter 12

"Please tell me you have gym next block!" Sam says to Gabriel after third block, which they conveniently have together.
"No way, you have gym next block?" Gabriel replies, sounding excited.
"Yeah, you do too?"
Gabriel nods enthusiastically. "Hellz yeah! I hope you like dodgeball, because that's what we're playing today."
Sam's smile disappears. "Seriously, dodgeball?"
"Yeah, don't worry. If we're on the same team, I'll keep you safe. If we're not, I'll get you out quick, and you won't have to do anything. Deal?"
"Trust me, if we're on different teams, you're going to regret that."
Thanks to Dean, Sam's played all types of sports, dodgeball included. Sam's never really enjoyed this particular game, though he's good at it. It's one of Dean's favorites, though, because he enjoys hurting people, and that's what the game is to him. Throw a ball at someone as hard as you can and watch as they get hurt.
"Hey, isn't that your brother?" Gabriel says, snapping Sam out of his thoughts.
Sam looks in the direction Gabriel is pointing, and sees Dean talking to a girl in the gym.
"Yeah, that is." What's Dean doing here? As much as Sam loves his brother, he doesn't really want to be involved in a dodgeball game with him. He knows that if anyone gets Sam out, Dean will go after them.
Dean looks over at them and waves. Sam waves back, and Dean and his new friend come over and join them.
"Hey, Sammy!" Dean greets him with a grin.
"Hi, Dean!"
"This is Charlie," Dean introduces the girl next to him.
"You're the infamous Sam, huh?" Charlie says, even though Dean knows she's seen him because of lunch. "Nice to meet you."
"You too," Sam says.
Suddenly, everyone goes silent. The four of them follow the states of the others and see Lucifer entering the room, a crowd of other boys behind him. Without his leather jacket, his muscles are visible, and it's clear he works out, probably by pushing other people as much as lifting weights. He walks in with an air of confidence, looking around as if he owns the school. When his eyes find Dean, they narrow menacingly, and Dean meets them just as confidently.
"Dean," Sam says, attempting to break their stares. "Dean!"
Dean looks down at Sam, his trance broken. "Yeah?"
"You literally just got here today," Gabriel observes. "How have you already made Lucifer hate you?"
"I told him to lay of Castiel and threatened to beat his head in," Dean replies simply.
"You threatened to beat him up if he didn't leave Castiel alone?" Gabriel repeats, clearly finding it strange.
"No, they're unrelated. Kind of. Cas still wasn't happy, though."
"I still can't get over the fact you spoke to Castiel," Gabriel says. "He barely talks to me, and everyone loves me!"
"Keep telling yourself that," Sam mutters in a jokingly sarcastic tone. Gabriel smacks him on the shoulder lightly.
"I still can't get over the fact that you're actually friends with Castiel," Charlie adds. "Kevin and I asked him to join our little band of misfits quite a few times, but he never really said anything. Now you're over there giving him a nickname and everything."
Dean looks down at the floor. He doesn't want to explain to them that they aren't really friends, partially because he doesn't know how to. He doesn't know what went wrong, and he can't tell them that, because they would assume he's hiding something. Besides, he's hoping it'll all blow over by tomorrow, and it won't matter anyway.
The sound of a loud whistle blowing breaks up their conversation. A guy that Dean assumes is the gym teacher comes in holding a bag of soft foam balls. He waves everyone over to him, and they all join him silently.
"Alright, today we're playing dodgeball!" He goes on to explain how it works. Typical rules: throw the ball and someone catches it, you're out. If it hits them, they're out. Head shots mean both of you are out, but the one that threw the ball is out for the day. If you're out, you go to the other side of the gym and try to catch a ball from your teammates to get back in. If someone gets the money ball, which is like a kickball in hardness and easy to identify, in the basketball hoops, their entire team is back in.
He splits them into two teams. The group of four wait anxiously, and they're split so Charlie and Sam are on one team, and Dean and Gabriel are on the other, which happens to be the one Lucifer is on.
"Hey, teammate!" Dean says to him mockingly.
"Oh, same team?" Lucifer repeats. "Too bad. I was really looking forward to getting you out."
"Ah, same here. Don't worry, though. I'll take you on later." Dean winks at him before joining Gabriel on the other side of their half of the room.
"Can you please not annoy my brother?" Gabriel asks.
"Sorry, can't make any promises."
Gabriel frowns. "Okay, for this class, can you pretend Lucifer does not exist? Just for this class?"
Dean sighs. "Fine. Just for this class."
"Thank you." He glances at his brother, who's glaring at Dean still. "Hold on." Gabriel walks over to Lucifer quickly.
"Is everyone best friends with this Dean kid?" Lucifer asks when Gabriel approaches.
"No, I'm friends with his brother Sam. He just kind of brought me over to Dean."
"That kid-he's Dean's brother?" Lucifer gestures to Sam.
"Yeah, but anyway, can you please leave Dean alone, at least for this class?" Gabriel asks.
"What, Dean wants a peace treaty now?" Lucifer laughs coldly.
"No, he wants to kill you as much as you want to kill him. But I don't feel like watching, so leave each other alone for now, okay?"
Lucifer nods. "Yeah, sure."
Gabriel raises an eyebrow. "Really, that's it?"
Lucifer nods. "Yep. I'll leave him alone today. I won't even acknowledge him if he doesn't acknowledge me. Okay with you?"
Gabriel looks at him skeptically. "Um... Yeah. Thanks."
Gabriel walks back to Dean, not noticing the wheels turning in his brain.