Chapter 24

Skipping to after school out of laziness

Sam takes Gabriel's bus home from school that day. He's never been in a bus before. He's never even been on a field trip in one. It's strange to him, but he doesn't mention it to his friend, who no doubt has been taking the bus for a long time and thinks nothing of it.
The entire family gets off at their bus stop along with Sam and a few other people. No, scratch that. The entire family but Castiel does. Sam and Gabriel trail far behind the rest of the group, chatting where they can't be overheard by everyone else.
"I'm still not too excited about this," Sam mutters.
"Well, you should be!" Gabriel replies. "Come on, Sam, we get to play poker! Who doesn't want to gamble away their fake life's savings?"
Sam laughs. "Ah, yeah, true."
When Sam and Gabriel step inside the house, the rest of the family looks up from whatever it is they're doing in the living room. They get some polite greetings from most the family, though Lucifer ignores Sam and only speaks to Gabriel. Sam doesn't mind at all.
"Where's the poker thingy?" Gabriel asks, an open question to whoever wants to answer.
When no one else answers, Michael does. "Go ask Chuck. He'll probably know."
Gabriel nods as if the idea has just occurred to him. "A'ight, I'll be back. Sam, go be social and stuff." Gabriel disappears, leaving Sam with the rest of the family.
"You're gonna have to be really good to beat Gabriel," Anna tells Sam. "He's the poker master."
"Funny, he never mentioned that." Actually, he specifically said Sam might have a shot at beating him.
"He wouldn't," Anna agrees. "I think the only one about as good at poker is Lucifer. Probably because he's the only other one that plays it."
Sam glances at the boy, who's casually lying on the couch. Despite how quick Sam's look was, Lucifer still catches it, and Sam finds himself wishing he could have just looked at Anna instead.
Gabriel reappears with a metal box. He sprawls across the floor, dropping the tin in front of him. He removed a deck of cards and a bunch of poker chips, which he gives some of the Sam as he assigns values.
"Can I play?" Lucifer asks.
Gabriel glances at Sam, who wants to tell him no. Unfortunately, if he did, Lucifer would probably be pissed, and that wouldn't be good. Sam just nods slightly, defeated, and Gabriel tells Lucifer the verdict.
Surprisingly, by the end, Sam has the most money in poker chips. Lucifer isn't happy about it, but Gabriel just seems impressed. Sam proudly puts his chips away, just in time for Chuck to come into the room. His eyes land on Sam almost immediately, spotting the odd one out easily.
"Hey, Sam, didn't expect to see you here so soon," Chuck says. "I thought you were still resting from your concussion."
Sam finds himself glancing at Lucifer again unwillingly, but thankfully Lucifer doesn't see him this time.
"No, I'm feeling better," Sam tells him.
"Well, that's good," Chuck replies. "Who won the poker game?"
"Me," Sam replies as Gabriel points at him. Lucifer rolls his eyes, unsurprisingly being a sore loser.
Chuck looks impressed. "Wow, nice job. I'm making spaghetti for dinner. Do you want to stay?"
Sam is about to decline, but Gabriel cuts him off.
"Yep! Sam's staying for dinner." He notices Sam's accusative expression and smiles innocently.
"Great," Chuck says before walking into the kitchen again, probably to start dinner now.
"Trust me," Gabriel says quietly, crawling to his side in the floor. "You won't regret it. My dad makes the best sauce."
"Your dad makes the sauce?" Sam repeats.
Gabriel nods. "Yeah, and it's freaking perfect."
Sam raises an eyebrow but doesn't question why his dad makes sauce. He doubts it's any better than the store bought stuff. Surprisingly, he's wrong. Dinner is great, and Sam's actually glad he stayed.
"Hey, Chuck, can Sam sleep over?" Gabriel asks after dinner, without consulting Sam first.
"Sure," Chuck replies as he loads the dishwasher. "Just check with your parents, Sam." Sam is too busy thinking about how he didn't agree to this to mention that his dad isn't coming home until Sunday.
"Yay!" Gabriel cheers and drags Sam into his room as Sam is still processing what just happened. He sits down on his bed and gestures for Sam to do the same. Instead, Sam just stands in front of him.
"Hey, Sam, you're sleeping over today," Gabriel informs him.
"What if I have somewhere to be?" Sam asks, knowing he doesn't.
"Then tell whoever wants to steal the moose I want to sleep with to cool it."
"You might want to rephrase that," Sam says, laughing at the wording.
"The person I want to have sex with?" Gabriel tries again.
"Wait, what?"
Gabriel laughs at his reaction. "What are we whating?"
"You just said-"
Gabriel nods. "I know what I just said," he replies.
"Wha- But- Huh?"
Gabriel laughs again. "I didn't mean right now," Gabriel clarifies. "But, like, eventually. Or now, if you want. I wouldn't complain. Am I being too blunt? You look like someone just told you that you're secretly an alpaca."
Sam would have laughed if he wasn't so surprised. "So you want to..."
Gabriel nods. "Mm-hmm."
"But... What?" he asks finally, unsure what else to say.
"I like you? Is that better?"
Sam still doesn't know what to do. What are you supposed to do in this situation anyway? Wow, this is weird. Okay, um..,
"Sa-am, you're taking too long to answer me!" Gabriel complains.
"I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be answering right now," he admits, still trying to sort this out.
"Do you like me back?" Gabriel asks.
"Um... I don't know?"
"Well, can you figure it out? The suspense is killing me almost as much as the wait for season seven of The Walking Dead."
"I'm sorry, I just need a moment to... Process this," Sam says slowly.
Gabriel nods. "Alright. I'll be here. Take your time. Only don't."
And yet, two minutes later, when everything has already sunk in, Sam still doesn't know how to respond.
"Sa-am!" Gabriel whines. "It's a yes or no question!"
"Yeah, but I don't know which one to say!"
"If I kissed you, do you think that would help?" Gabriel offers.
"Um... No?"
"Then make up your mind already!"
"It's not that easy!" Sam protests. "You can't just dump something like this on me and expect me to know how to answer!"
"But I just did, so..." When Sam doesn't respond, Gabriel sighs. "Seriously, was this really a shock to you? I never really tried to hide it. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on it sooner."
Looking back on it, Sam realizes he never really did try to hide it. Still, he never made it obvious like he did today, so Sam can't be held responsible for not knowing.
Gabriel stands up so he's closer to the height of the other boy and steps closer. He's not uncomfortably close. He doesn't appear to be trying the kissing method of making Sam decide, which Sam is grateful for.
"If you don't like me like that, that's fine," Gabriel assures him. "I just want to know."
"Trust me, Gabriel, I want to know as much as you do," Sam replies.
Gabriel sighs. "Seriously, do I have to kiss you right now? Because that's what I'm leaning towards."
"I don't even get that logic," Sam admits.
"Well," Gabriel says, taking a step closer. "It depends on how you feel when I do this."
He suddenly presses his lips against Sam's, who freezes, not having expected this. After a long moment, Sam kisses him back. Gabriel makes a small, surprised noise, but he doesn't stop. Instead, he wraps his arms around the other boy, bringing them closer together.
Sam pushes Gabriel onto the bed, landing on top of him. Gabriel laughs quietly, their mouths never leaving each other's. Sam hands find their way to Gabriel's shirt. He slips his hand under the fabric, but he only gets to admire the feel of Gabriel's muscles for a second before Gabriel jumps.
"Cold hands, cold hands," he mutters, ruining the moment. The two boys sit up facing each other on the bed.
Sam laughs, embarrassed. "Uh, sorry..."
Gabriel waves it off. "It's fine. Well, Sam, do you have an answer for me?"
Sam grins as he says, "Yes, I do like you."
Gabriel pumps his fists in victory. "Hells yeah!"
Sam can't help but laugh. He topples Gabriel again playfully, their faces only inches apart. Gabriel grins, then pulls Sam's head towards his gently, kissing him again. Sam kisses back without hesitation, feeling a feeling he hasn't felt before. Love.