Chapter 11

Dean can hear the sadness in Castiel's voice. Why? What's bothering him so much? Dean had thought things were going great, but apparently, he was wrong. What did he do? Sure, Cas says it wasn't him, but it had to be. Why else would he have the sudden change of heart?
Was it threatening to hurt his brother? Probably not. Castiel doesn't seem that close to Lucifer. Actually, he seems to enjoy Dean's company more than his brother's. Seeing him with his brother makes him view Cas as a cat, in a way. Nervous and helpless, but not running away. Castiel is brave, though he's sure he never noticed that about himself. He's quiet by nature, but he doesn't run away as soon as he senses trouble. He only took Dean away when it became clear that things were going to get bad, and Dean admires that. Still, he wishes he got a chance to beat the son of a bitch, Lucifer. He would have deserved it, and Dean has no doubt he would have won. It's not exactly the first fight he's been in.
"Just tell me what's wrong," Dean says, almost begging now.
Castiel shakes his head, eyes on the book in front of him.
"Cas, look at me." He doesn't. "Cas." Once again, he's ignored. "Please tell me what's wrong."
Without looking up, Cas says, "I can't do that. I'm sorry."
Dean can hear the sadness in his voice. He wishes he could make Cas tell him what's wrong. Dean can't just sit here with him, knowing there's something wrong but unable to fix it. Dean glances at his friend one more time, then stands up.
"When you change your mind, tell me," Dean says, before walking out of the room. The teacher calls after him, but it's not the person he had hope would try to stop him, so he ignores them. He isn't sure what he's going to do now that he's out of class, because all his friends are the good kids that would never skip class.
He decides to go to the library. No, he isn't going to read a book. He isn't about that life. He's going to play on the computers and claim he's working on something. He wanders around for a few minutes, looking for the library. Anna showed him where it was this morning, but he doesn't really remember how they got there. He finds the library eventually, and heads over to the computers. He doesn't even have to explain why; there's no one at the desk. Apparently the library isn't very popular at this school.
Dean notices someone sitting at one of the computers, doing some sort of math that looks way too complicated for a high school student. Dean doesn't think much of it until the boy turns around after hearing Dean approach, and he sees its Michael.
"What are you doing?" Dean asks him, sitting in the seat next to him.
"Math."
"I can see that," Dean says. "But why are you doing math online? Shouldn't you be in class? You don't strike me as the type to skip."
"I already did all the math classes offered here," Michael tells him. "I needed a class for this year, so I'm doing it online."
"Damn, overachiever much?" Dean jokes.
Michael shrugs. "I'm assuming that's not the case with you. Skipping on the first day?"
"Yep. I've been to two whole classes today. I can't keep doing this!"
Michael chuckles. "So you came to the library? It doesn't seem like the best choice if you're sick of school."
"There are computers. I'm happy."
"Sure, there are computers, but all the gaming and social media sites are blocked," Michael informs him. "Won't do a whole lot of good."
"But you were on Instagram this morning," Dean reminds him.
"I may have disabled the program that blocks those sites on my desktop."
Dean grins. "Why is everyone so into hacking things at this school?"
"I don't generally don't hack things unless I have a reason. It's not a hobby, it's just a skill I utilize when it's convenient."
Dean chuckles. "You make it sound so innocent."
"It's a gift."
"So, if I can't do anything fun, what should I do now?" Dean asks.
"Go to class?" Michael suggests.
"Besides going to class?" Dean doesn't want to have to go back to Castiel. Not now, anyway. He wants to give him some time to realize that he can talk to Dean.
"Google dank memes?" Michael suggests.
"No one says dank memes anymore."
Michael shrugs. "Guess I'm behind the times."
"Clearly. Can you unblock some gaming website for me?" Dean asks hopefully.
"Can't, sorry. Gotta get back to my math."
Dean frowns. "Have fun. If that's possible." Dean gets up to leave, still unsure where he's going to go. He just walks out, sure he'll find something to do soon.
A/N There was literally no purpose for that scene and I'm not sure why I put it in there
In his exploration of the school, he loses track of time, only brought back to reality when the bell rings for the end of class. He's been walking around this building for over an hour? The fact that no one caught him honestly surprises him, but he doesn't question it. Knowing his last block is gym, he decides to go to it. If there's one thing he can do in school, it's sports, and he is not going to miss his opportunity to shine.
Dean doesn't bother changing before gym. He's already wearing athletic clothes, and they'll be fine for class. He locks up his backpack in one of the lockers and goes out to the gym floor. The room is nearly empty, with a few kids of varying ages scattered around, talking amongst themselves. To Dean's surprise, Charlie is there. Dean joins her, standing alone by the wall.
"Hey, Charlie!" Dean greets her.
"Dean, you have gym with me?"
"It seems like it."
"Yay!" she squeals. "I usually suffer through this alone. Now I don't have to!"
"What, no Kevin?" Dean asks, disappointed. He's grown to like Kevin.
"No, he refused to take it again. He already did his two gym classes, but I only did one, so I had to do this again. How about you? Do you like gym?"
He nods. "Gym is my best subject."
Charlie grins. "Then you better keep me safe, because we're playing dodgeball today."
Dodgeball? Dean grins. He could play dodgeball all day.