Chapter 3

Sam manages to find his way to his first class by himself just as the late bell rings. The only open seats are in the back of the room, so he goes to the one closest to the door. He usually like the front, because the obnoxious kids generally hide in the back, but he doesn't have much of a choice this time. He sits next to a kid with long hair like his, only it's slicked back more. He turns to Sam as he sits down.
"Hi!" he greets Sam, too enthusiastically for Sam's taste. "You're new, right? I'm Gabriel. What's your name?"
"Sam," he says quietly, not really wanting to talk to him.
"Hi, Sam! It's nice to meet you! How are you?" Sam shrugs. "Okay, where are you from?"
"Kansas."
"Oh, I've never been to Kansas before! What's Kansas like?" Sam shrugs again. "Well, you're gonna love it here. See-" He pauses as someone enters the room. He's tall with short hair and the looks of a thug. He stands in the doorway, ignoring the teacher telling him to get out. I guess he's not in this class.
"Hey, Gabe," he says lazily, looking at the boy next to Sam.
"What are you doing here?" he asks, not unkindly.
Lucifer shrugs. "I got bored. Figured I'd check up on my little bro."
Gabe rolls his eyes. "You're one year older. I'm not that much littler."
"You're literally over half a foot shorter than me," he reminds Gabriel. "Yeah, I say you're a bit littler."
Gabriel shrugs. "Yeah, that's fair. Are you joining our class for today, or...?"
"Nah, I'm just class hopping. See ya at home. I'm going to go visit Michael now."
"No, Lucifer, don't-and you're gone." Gabriel sighs and turns back to Sam. "So, that was my brother Lucifer."
"Seems cool."
Gabriel shrugs. "He sure think so," he says with a laugh. "I just wish he wouldn't go bug Michael. They're pretty close, by Michael standards anyway. Still, I think he wishes Lucifer would leave him alone at school."
"I doubt it. I don't mind when my brother talks to me at school."
"You have a brother?" Gabriel says, glad Sam actually contributed to the conversation.
"Yeah."
Gabriel tries to hide his disappointment at Sam's return to simple answers. "What's your brother's name?"
"Dean."
Gabriel nods to show he's listening as he thinks of more things to say. "What's Dean like?"
Sam shrugs, unsure how to describe Dean. "Probably a lot like Lucifer," Sam says. "Um... Thinks he's the big thing, hits on all the girls but never has an actual girlfriend for more than a week, likes to cause trouble, rarely shows up to class."
"I feel like we're talking about the same person," Gabriel laughs. "They're going to be best friends, I can tell."
"Yeah, looks like it. You have two brothers?"
"No, I have five," he replies. "And a sister. There's Michael and Lucifer, who are seniors, me and Balthazar are juniors, Castiel and my sister Anna are sophomores, and Samandriel is a freshman. There are seven of us total, and everyone but Samandriel has someone in their grade to hang with."
"Wow! That's... Wow. Your parents must be busy."
Gabriel nods. "Yeah. Chuck, my stepdad, is a some type of medical person, so he spends a lot of time at the hospital. Luckily, Michael and Castiel help out a lot."
"But Castiel is younger than you, right?"
"Yeah, second youngest next to Samandriel. Easily the second most responsible, though. Only reason I'm putting Michael first is that he's older."
"And thanks to those two, you don't have to do anything?"
Gabriel nods. "Yeah, basically. Well, and Chuck. So those three. The other five of us get to chill and watch pranks online."
"Are you into pranking?"
Gabriel nods enthusiastically. "Oh, yeah. Big time. Not at school, since I don't want to be held responsible for anything that may go wrong. Or right, which is sometimes much worse."
Sam's glad to hear he's safe, at least. "What type of pranks do you do?"
"Everything! Um... Once, I threw a knife at Lucifer, who pretended to die, just to freak Anna out. We got ketchup on his new shirt, but it was worth it. It was a retractable knife, by the way. Oh, and once, I got Balthazar, Anna and Samandriel to help put little cups full of water all around Lucifer's room when he was sleeping, and he couldn't move because there were cups everywhere. Anna added food coloring to all of them because she thought it looked cooler. It was great. Once, after Anna's first year of Latin, all of us only spoke in Latin. Even Michael joined us for that one. Samandriel was so confused, since he hadn't taken Latin."
"What about Castiel?" Sam asks. "Did Castiel speak in English?"
"No, he doesn't talk much. He kinda laughed when he heard it, but that was about it."
"Well, that's still awesome!" Sam laughs. "Do you prank each other a lot?"
"I prank people a lot," Gabriel tells him. "They only try to get me back if my prank was really good. Fortunately, I'm well-versed in the world of pranks, so I can usually figure it out pretty quickly."
"Your family sounds awesome," Sam says.
"Yeah, they're pretty great," Gabriel agrees, mostly just glad he got Sam to talk to him. Maybe he'll have a friend in this class after all.