Chapter 26

Sam and Gabriel attempted to share a bed, neither of them wanting to be the one to sleep on he floor. Unfortunately, Gabriel's bed is too small, and they kept accidentally kicking each other. That's what they said, anyway, but the reason Sam decides to sleep on the floor is that Gabriel is a blanket hog.
Sam wakes up early the next morning, but Gabriel is already gone. He's about to go out to find his friend-boyfriend?-when he remembers the rest of the family. He doesn't really want to wander the house, because he doesn't know who he'll end up finding.
Bored, he does it anyway. He walks out to the dining room, hoping he'll find Gabriel waiting there for him, eating. Unfortunately, the only person out there is Lucifer, eating waffles at the table. Sam tried to leave before he's seen, but Lucifer glances up, noticing Sam in the doorway.
"Hey," Lucifer greets him casually.
"Hi," Sam replies quietly. Why is Lucifer being nice right now? Lucifer isn't nice to him. Ever.
"Stop being so nervous," Lucifer says, rolling his eyes. "I'm not going to smash your head in or anything."
"What?" Sam replies, his brain still not functioning correctly by being around this guy. His brain seems to stop functioning a lot lately.
"You look like you think I'm going to kill you," Lucifer says with a laugh.
"Oh, sorry," Sam mutters.
"It's fine," Lucifer assures you. "I don't blame you. Hey, want a waffle?"
"Um... Sure?" Sam responds, more of a question than an answer. Why is Lucifer being so nice to him? It's actually more nerve wracking than Lucifer being mean, because at least he knows what to expect from mean Lucifer.
"Oh, cool, you're up," Gabriel observes, walking into view. "We've got waffles. Want a waffle? Come on, I'll go get you a waffle."
Lucifer chuckles, watching his brother who is somehow still energetic this early in the morning. He almost looks... Caring. But Lucifer isn't caring. Lucifer doesn't care about anyone but himself. Gabriel drags Sam into the cooking side of the kitchen, presumably to get him waffles.
"Waffles!" Gabriel says proudly, pulling some waffles out of the fridge. "How many?"
"I'll just have one," Sam replies, still in a daze about what just happened.
"Kay," Gabriel says, putting the waffle in the toaster over to cook. "So, how'd talking to Lucifer go?"
Sam shrugs. "I'm still alive, so that's good," he replies jokingly. Okay, maybe he wasn't joking that much.
"Yeah. He's way more fun at home," Gabriel says. "Hey, where's Cas? I just realized I didn't see him come home last night."
Sam shrugs. "Probably still with Dean," he says. As if on cue, Sam's cellphone begins to vibrate, the caller ID saying it's Dean. Sam answers it immediately. "Hey, Dean. What's up?"
"Um... Dad's home," Dean tells him. "I figured I'd give you a heads up."
"I thought he was coming home tomorrow," Sam says. Not that he really cares that his dad is a day earlier, but he finds it a bit surprising his dad cut a hunting trip short.
"Yeah, I did, too," Dean agrees. "Anyway, I'm bringing Cas back now. Want me to pick you up, too?"
"Um... Maybe? I don't know. I'll figure it out when you get here. I don't like decisions."
Dean chuckles. "Clearly, cuz you suck at making them."
"Jerk."
"Bitch."
The last thing Sam hears is Dean laughing before he hangs up the phone. They don't need to say "goodbye" or "love you," partially because Dean hates chick flick moments, but mostly because "bitch" "jerk" is their brotherly "love you."
"Dean's bringing Castiel back now, so I may or may not be leaving," Sam informs Gabriel.
"Aw," Gabriel complains. "But I don't want you to go!"
Sam shrugs. "Maybe I'll stick around then. I don't know."
Gabriel beams. "Yay!"

"Are you sure you want to go back now?" Dean asks Castiel after he gets off the phone with Sam.
Castiel nods. "Yeah."
"With Lucifer?" Dean adds, remembering what happened last time they spoke to each other.
Castiel nods again, but it's more hesitant. "I can't just not go home," he says. Dean had a feeling this wouldn't be an issue for him right now if John hadn't come back, but he doesn't ask.
"Alright, let's go," Dean agrees reluctantly. He drives Castiel to his house, chatting the whole way there. Finally, they arrive, and Castiel is silent as they walk up to the door. Dean can see his nervousness as he opens the door, as if he'sexpecting Lucifer to pounce on him as soon as he's in sight. When no one greets him at the door, he and Dean walk into the dining room, where Dean is told they can eat pie.
To Dean's surprise, Sam is chatting with both Gabriel and Lucifer at the table, eating a waffle and looking genuinely happy here right now. He looks up when the two boys enter the room and smiles at them.
"Hey, Dean!" Sam greets him excitedly.
"Hey," Dean replies with a glance at Lucifer.
"Castiel, you're home!" Gabriel says, energetically as always. 
Castiel nods silently, his muscles tense with what Dean assumes is fear of his other brother. Dean doesn't blame him. He's waiting for Lucifer to throw a fit, too.
Lucifer just laughs. "Honestly, the amount of power I have over you guys is hilarious," he says. "Guys, calm down. I'm not killing anyone. Probably."
Although it seems to calm Castiel down a bit, Dean is still on edge. After all, this is the guy that endlessly torments his brother at school, and gives people concussions without remorse. He isn't about to let it go just because Lucifer told him to.
"Seriously, Dean, it's okay," Sam adds, walking up to his brother. No, skipping up to his brother with how giddy he is. "Lucifer's cool."
Dean raised an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah, totally," he says sarcastically. "It's not like he just gave you a concussion for no freaking reason or anything."
"Okay, I had a reason," Lucifer protests. "You're annoying but I couldn't hit you."
Dean rolls his eyes. "Yeah, because that makes it so much better."
Lucifer shrugs. "I've got a reputation to uphold. I can't let the little people get in the way."
"That doesn't mean you had to give my brother a concussion!" Dean practically screams.
"Calm down," Castiel advises him quietly.
"Gotta side with Castiel on this one," Lucifer agrees.
"Bitch, I'll calm down when I want to calm down," Dean snaps.
"Would it help if I said I'm sorry?" Lucifer asks.
"You're not sorry."
"Yeah, but would it help if I said it anyway?"
Dean clenches his fists, his fingernails digging into his palm. He holds them by his side tightly, willing himself to keep them there and not let Lucifer get to him.
"Okay, I'm just gonna take my brother and go now..." Sam says, dragging Dean away before he can do anything stupid.
"Bye, Samwich!" Gabriel calls after him.
Sam drags Dean out to the car, where he finally relaxes in his familiar seats. He grips the steering wheel tightly, enjoying the feel of it. If there's one thing he knows, he can always count on his car to calm him down.