43; struggle

"If it isn't Oikawa-san?!" you said placing a hand on your hip.

"Since when are you using a honorific? Just call me Oikawa like usual!" he looked slightly offended and uttered something else under his breath that you couldn't understand.

He sat down on the swing and you placed yourself next to him, before he continued speaking.

"I'm sorry for lunch break today. Aku-chan got really nervous, usually she's just normal and cute. She wanted to become friends with all of you. Especially with you."

"Huh? Why me?"

"I told her from the beginning that I, well... have feelings for you and that I'm trying to move on. And you said yourself that I'm a precious friend, right?"

"She told you?" 'She went out with him knowing that?'

He nodded smiling and your gaze shifted into the night sky.

"...Oh look! The summer triangle!"

"Where?"

"Just up ahead, the three brightest stars!"

"Ah I can see it! I think... then that means Iwa-chans birthday is coming up soon!"

"Oohh when is it? Let's celebrate it big! I wonder what I should give him for a present..."

"It's on the 10th next month, so... in about two weeks."

You chatted about what you could do for your friends birthday before heading back home.

Staring into the night sky you lift your hand towards the summer triangle.

"That's Deneb,.. Vega,.. and that's Altair. Whenever I look up, they're the first thing I see."

"Mmh~" he hummed peacefully "It would be nice if we were like those stars. I mean, Iwa-chan and us two. Always together, shining bright..."

"That would be weird... You don't know the tanabata legend? Altair and Vega are lovers..."

It was quiet for a while until he awkwardly coughed it off.

"I don't think I do, maybe you could tell me about it then?"

"...It's a legend that Vega is a weaving princess, called Orihime. She falls in love with Hikoboshi - Altair - and they both forget their work because of each other.
Her father, the king, was really mad because of that and he separated them through the milky way.
But his daughter fell into depression so in the end the king allowed them to meet at the 7th day of the 7th month."

"Now that I'm hearing it, I remember. My mom read it out to me when I was a kid."

"You're still a kid." you giggled and he pouted.

It was still like before, as if nothing happened.

"The tanabata festival, you want to go together?" you asked, not getting an immediate answer.

Looking at him he seemed to be overthinking.

"With Iwa-chan, Miura, Akuzawa-san and let's ask Kageyama too!" you added.

"Why Kageyama?! What's with you two lately, you seem to get along. Don't always hang around him!"

He's jealous...?

"We're just classmates, he helps me out quite often too."

"I can help you out as well! You can come to me anytime, I already told you to rely on me more!"

This seemed to be more about him and Kageyama than about him and you.

"Well whatever... Then I'll just go with him and Iwaiura." you sighed.

"FINE then! Do what you want, I'm not your boyfriend anyway." at his pouting expression you could only sigh once more.

---

"Honey, you're back? Where have you been?" when your mom heard the door click she called out to you.

"Oikawa says any food is fine."

"Hello, good evening~. I'm sorry for the sudden intrusion!"

In the end you made up by asking him if he wanted to come over for dinner.

You actually meant any other day but his sparkling face made it hard to say no. Besides, he probably would have been upset if you did.

"So you're the son of the Oikawa's, right? Do you mind if I call you Tõru-kun?"

"No not at all! It's a pleasure to meet you."

Since dinner wasn't ready yet you walked up to your room. Oikawa was beyond excited, trying to etch every inch of your room in his mind.

It made you kind of nervous how much attention he gave every little thing.

"So you like manga, huh? Wait, almost every one of them is romance themed."

"Eh, well I just happen to like those." you shrugged and he took the chance to tease you.

"You should have said so if you want to know about love so badly."

And so until dinner was ready, Oikawa scanned the room thoroughly, taunting you in the process.