Only Friend - Not

ARBAAZ’S POV

Note to self: While travelling, always wear shades. Today, hell broke loose at the airport because someone recognized me at the King Burger. I had only one bodyguard with me, and the airport security took a few minutes to get the situation under control. Till that time, my shirt was in shreds and I had nail imprints all over. Malaika was gonna get pissed. 

I walked in and plopped on the couch. It was unusually quiet today. Oh yea, my baby sis was at school. I was used to her blasting music and jumping around randomly. I missed her and everyone else when we had to shoot outside the studio. That’s kinda in the job description. Being gone for long periods of time. But now, I was gonna stay with my wife till our baby came into the world.

“Umm, excuse me?” a low voice said and I looked around to see Nidhi standing nervously. I was sure it was her. I’d never met her, but I’ve seen her in photos and heard about her a lot. And also about her and Lee’s fight. Did they make up?

“Yes, sweetie? Lee isn’t home yet.” I answered, and she sat down on the bean bag.

“I know. She must be at Baskins. I think I saw her going in to get ice cream after school.” She fidgeted with her fingers. She was tensed up, not sure what to do. Did she make up with her? I didn’t think so. Or Lee would have invited her for ice cream too. And if so, what was she doing here?

“Kay, I’ll text her to hurry up. Would you like to have something?” before she could reply, a woman in her early 40s came in.

“She’s my mother.” Nidhi said as I shook her hand. She was beyond nervous. She was gazing around at each corner of the house, awestruck. Many people did that, only because their idols live here. I didn’t mean to make fun of them, but then it was kinda amusing. But maybe I’d do that too, if I was to visit Elvis Presley’s house back then.

The maid got some snacks and drinks. Nidhi smiled and accepted one sandwich. She had been her, so it was better for her. But her mom’s hands were trembling. She couldn’t quit gazing at the crystal chandelier either. I had to get the situation under control.

“Uh, I’m Arbaaz by them way.” I smiled and she looked at me.

“I know.” she forced a smile. Awkward situation.

“Mom, why do you have to be here?” Nidhi asked.

“Because I don’t want you to cross your limits like the last time.” She replied. Cross the limits? I knew that she and Liz fought, but I never got the details. Was that why she was being terrible the entire day later? Maybe.

“Sohail I swear if you don’t gimme the ice cream back I will kick you gymnast style!” Liz yelled and ran behind Sohail who was carrying an ice cream pack. Classy sister, classy.

“We have guests.” Sohail stopped mid track, and Liz collided against him and stumbled down. She was about to open her mouth to complain, and then she saw who it was sitting on the couch. Her eyes widened and then she sat down next to me.

“Hey.” She smiled. Hope, I could see hope in her eyes. She is always the most optimistic one in our family. She’d never give up, no matter how south things go. And she loved her friends dearly, she’d do anything to get her back.

“Hi.” Nidhi answered, looking down.

“Hello sweetie.” He mother smiled genuinely. She got a bag up that I didn’t notice before and gave it to Nidhi. Nidhi hesitated before clutching it, and then looking up at Lee.

“This is your stuff. I came to give it back.” She kept the bag on the table and got up. Lee was frowning, she didn’t expect this. I knew she was crying inside. Her mom was sitting there, astonished. She got up and ran behind her daughter, giving Liz a last ‘I’m-Sorry’ look. And they vanished out the door.

ALISHA’S POV

What just happened? I opened the bag to find some of my accessories and shrugs in the bag. It also had stuff I gifted her. It broke my heart now. She thought we were a lost cause? She returned everything that I gifted her, with so much love, with so much joy. She just gave it back like it didn’t mean anything to her. Did she think that because we fought all those precious memories were nothing?

“Lee I’m so sor…” Sohail placed a hand on my knee. But I pushed it aside and got sat there, clutching the bracelets in my hands. They were meant to be a symbol of our friendship. Something she was denying now. When did everything go so damn south? Just days back everything was normal.

“Come let’s have some lunch.” Arbaaz tried. They were trying so hard to get me to react. But I couldn’t. She just threw away our friendship. That’s how much she valued it? Didn’t it have any meaning for her? I couldn’t even think about giving Selena’s or Hailie’s or Aryan’s stuff away. It just felt wrong. But she did it. She basically told me that it was over. Forever over.

I got up and ran to my room. I could hear people calling my name, but I didn’t turn back. Slamming the door, I threw open the laptop. I logged onto Skype, only to see some of the people I didn’t want to chat with online. I frowned and grabbed Destellar. I strummed a random tune faintly. After a few minutes, Joe logged in.

(Joe) Uh oh, my Lee is not smiling. Who’s face to I need to break?

(Liz) Paparazzi would be ok, I guess.

(Joe) I know they can be annoying. And we are not even all that famous yet!

They were officially on tour now, with the Veronica girls for some anti-drug campaign by Disney. They had their album out, and yes it wasn’t a platinum. But I loved it, especially year 3000. Rockstar song! All the travelling did no good for Nick’s blood sugar. The funny part was, even Joe turned to me when he couldn’t take Nick’s d-session anymore. He didn’t blame or hate him, but it was natural for him to get frustrated at times.

(Liz) You will be. How is Nicky doing?

(Joe) Low all day.

(Liz) He’s cured.

I winked and he laughed. But somewhere it hurt to know that the only way out was death. He had to deal with it all his life. And I thought my life was hell.

(Joe) Now, tell me what happened?

So, I filled him in. When I needed someone to make me laugh, he was the one. Out of the Jonas guys, Nick was the serious one, Joe the silly one and Kevin the gentleman. And I liked them like that. Joe did make me laugh, by falling off trying to balance the spinning chair.

(Joe) That hurt dudette!

(Liz) Yea, I’m sure it did!

Before he could reply with a silly Joey comment, Denise (Mama J) came in and ordered for Joe to sleep. They had a concert in a few hours, and didn’t want him to be tired or hurt. She’s a great mother. I’m saying this again, but I do envy the guys sometimes for having parents.