Chapter 2

Warnings: None

~Vikks P.O.V.~

BOOM.

     I jerk up from my bed, literally falling out of it in panic. I fight with the blankets that had tangled around my limbs until I'm finally released. Standing up I whip out my sword and warily approach the wooden door. My heart is thumping so hard it might beat out of my chest. Then kicking open the door I jump into the night, fully expecting a wave of mobs to be storming my house. That's when I gasp, the light of the torches outside illuminating a figure. He's laying motionless on the ground, and a rugged hole is blown out from the ground about seven blocks away from him. He has white skin, and blonde hair. A slightly torn red hoodie hangs over his upper body and plain black pants cover his legs. I also note along one side of his body, the right side, the red fabric and side of his head is covered in black soot. While I'm examining him, shocked to see another living person, I fail to see the spider scuttling towards him.

     Snapping back into focus I lunge into action, kicking the spider away from his body before it can bite him. Then I repeatedly hack into it with my sword until it withers away, leaving a single piece of string in its place. Before another mob can wander into the area I quickly put away my sword, hooking my arms under the strangers arms and dragging him back into the safety of my shack. Why do I feel like I know him? I shut the door just in time to hide us from the vision of a zombie.

     Grunting, I hoist him onto my bed, noting that he looks to be like... a foot taller than me maybe. Which would explain why he's so heavy to me. Luckily it doesn't look like he's bleeding so I decide to leave him alone. After all, there isn't much I can do at the moment... Until he wakes up that is. With nothing to do since it's night and I can't exactly leave this guy here by himself, I scoot into a corner. Leaning my head against the dark wood, I steal another glance at the person to make sure he's not having a seizure or anything. When I see that he's okay I huddle up and rest my eyes. I'm super tired but I don't want to risk having him wake up, and freak out and kill me or something like that... Unlikely? Yeah. But is it impossible? No. And who knows, maybe he had someone with him and they'll come looking for him. I try to keep these thoughts in my head, but before I realize it, my body basically shuts itself down and I'm asleep.

~~~

     "Uhm... I don't really know your name, but it'd be nice if you could wake up right about now."

     I groan and rub my bleary eyes. I glance around the area, my eyes still trying to focus. But after they do I find myself jumping up when I see the stranger is sitting up, two blue eyes locking with my own. I clutch my heart, chuckling.

     "You scared me!"

      I push myself to my feet, he shifts in the bed so he's sitting crossed legged.

     "Alright so I suppose the first question is... How did I get in here?" He asks, gazing around the room.
     "Well I was going to sleep when I heard an explosion. So I went out there and saw you lying in the ground. A spider was coming to eat you so I fought it off and dragged you in here. And now voilà, here we are."
     "Oh... Yeah I remember now... I saw a light through the trees and thought someone, or I guess you, could help me. That's when a creeper came outta nowhere and blew up. Most likely that's when I blacked out."
     "I see... By the way my name is Vikk. What's yours?"
     "My name? My name is... Um. My name... I can't.... I can't remember my name..." He mumbles, furrowing his brow.

     He can't remember his name? Wait... I had trouble remembering my name too at first... I wonder...

     "Say, you wouldn't happen to remember appearing in this forest last night, when fog was covering literally everything, and then not remembering how you got there... Would you?"

     He looks at me in shock.

     "It happened to you too then? Because that's exactly what happened to me."
     "Yeah! I guess the only difference is that I remembered my na-"
     "It's Lachlan... My name is Lachlan." He interrupts, staring off into a wall.
      "Lachlan you said?" Lachlan nods. "I feel like I remember that name for some reason... But why?"
     "I don't know, but you're right. I feel like I know you too..."
     "Something strange is going on... This couldn't have just been a coincidence. Do you think there's others?"
     "I guess the only way to find out is by looking."
      "Good idea. Here, take these. I have extra." I state, handing him a stone sword, axe, and pickaxe. Along with two pieces of cooked chicken.

     Lachlan nods his thanks and we exit the little shelter. Once he steps out from the doorway, I confirm my suspicions from earlier. He is indeed about a foot taller than me... making me feel like a dwarf. After collecting a tiny bit more wood, we abandon the shack once and for all. It isn't really needed for Lachlan to ask if he can tag along... It's just sorta a given. Because it would totally make sense to meet someone in the exact same situation you're in, and then just leave them. Or maybe I knew him before this happened? I mean... It does seem like it. Ugh how I wish to get my memory back...

     We continue wandering through the forest aimlessly, taking breaks where needed. My thoughts are a mess, all tangled up with ideas on how we can get our memories back, where should we even go, and the like. But I can't solve any questions, and it only results in me having a headache. I don't even want to guess what Lachlan might be thinking, for it would only confuse me more.

At the moment we're resting in another small clearing. A small patch of red roses are growing at the base of a tree. I stare at the cluster of flowers p, and it seems to be triggering something in my memory... But what? Before I can dwell on the thought any longer Lachlan taps my shoulder, gaining my attention.

"I don't know why but... I think we should go that way." Lachlan states, nodding towards an area where a few trees have parted to reveal the mouth of a cave.
"And..." I add, "The sun is going to set soon. A cave could be a good shelter for tonight."

Lachlan glances into the sky and nods, seeing the rapidly darkening sky above. Without another thought we step into the cave, traveling down its rocky halls.

Along the way we encounter many veins of iron and coal, the occasional redstone or gold block appearing here and there. And instead of wasting torches by placing them down every seven blocks or so, we simply hold one each to light our path. The cave isn't silent though, almost every corner wields a mob, whether it be a creeper, skeleton, spider, zombie, or Enderman. To bad we haven't found any diamonds yet. I realize, throwing away my now burnt out torch and pulling out a new one. Rounding the next corner we find ourselves in a section of the cave that gradually slopes down until it curves left sharply. And the only reason we can tell this is because around the corner, a bright warm light is glowing.

     "There must be some lava down there. Let's mine up all these ores and then check it out. Who knows, maybe we can get some diamonds."
     "Agreed."

     And so we slowly make our way down the dark mine, driving our pickaxes through the variety of ores embedded in the walls. And every so slowly we approach the turn, but for some reason, something feels off. At twenty blocks away I realize why. Someone's crying... I realize, pausing in my trek to listen to the soft sob from around the corner.

     "Lachlan, come over here. I think someone's over there... And it doesn't sound like they're doing too good."

     Lachlan looks up from his current mining, a confused look on his face as he approaches my side and picks up on the sobs. We exchange a wary glance and slowly round the corner. I screech and backpedal directly into Lachlan at the sight, causing both of us to tumble to the ground.

~~~

Haha cliffhanger until next week >:D