Chapter 16

Warnings: None

~3rd P.O.V. (As seen from ?????????)~

~~~

     "Alright time for a couple new adjustments..." Jerome mumbles to himself, tacking up some new pictures on the board of residents.

      A male with a black suit, electric blue hair, and goggles. Dan

     A male with a full suit of grey armour, with an opening to the face where two glowing blue eyes are visible, and a navy blue cape falling over his back. Pat.

     A guy with a checkered hoodie similar to Mitch's, but grey and red and its short sleeve with no hood, jeans, a white shirt, and wide rimmed glasses. Also apparently Adams brother, his name is Tyler.

     A male with some sort of grey armour, but that doesn't fully encase his entire body (although it has at least one piece on every part of his body), and a metal headband of sorts. His name is also Tyler.

     Jerome sighs as he puts up the last picture, which is Tyler. His hands shoved in his pockets, he starts to shuffle away. Today is his birthday, but it seems like no one has remembered. Letting out another sad sigh Jerome decides to go see what Preston's up to, perhaps he would remember since his birthday wasn't too long ago.

     Jerome finds Preston in his favourite spot, the parkour course. He's sailing from block to block with ease, a gift of constant practicing. Also hopping around with him are Martin, Adam, Jason, and Ty.

     "Hey Preston!" Jerome calls, Preston turning to face him.
     Preston turns and waves at the other four before pointing at me and hopping down to greet me. "Sup Jerome?"
     "Oh nothing, just thought I'd stop by and see what you were up to."
     "Well hello then, my bacca friend, how's your day going?"
     "It's going good." I lie. "What about you? Got anything special planned for today?"
     "Nah, just feeling like parkour today, nothing much else. Hey I gotta get back now cuz everyone's waiting for me. Wanna join?"
       I shake my head, "No, but thanks though. Parkour really isn't my strong suit. I'll go see what the others are up to."
     "Sure thing, and I think I saw Mitch by the mine if you wanna see him... And I'm pretty sure Vikk's at our house working on something. Cya Jerome!"
     "Bye Preston..."

     Jerome, his head hanging low, strolls away to go find everyone else. But, it seems no one has truly remembered. Vikk was busy with a project, Lachlan... Well he couldn't actually find him, Mitch was mining, like Preston said, and Rob was busy gathering things, and too busy to talk.

    So now abandoned by his closest friends, Jerome decides to go for a walk. By himself... On his birthday.

~~~

     Jerome's been gone almost the whole day, and the sun is almost touching the trees by the time he returns to the village. He passes silent dark houses along the dusty paths, noting that strangely not one single soul was out. Maybe they all went to bed already... Jerome reasons. Although he's still a bit uneasy knowing that a few people usually liked to stay out past sunset like Jason. Upon reaching Mitch's, Rob's, Preston's, Lachlan's, Vikk's, and his own shared house, he notes it is the only building with the lights on.

     Slowly cracking open the door, Jerome steps into the empty main room. He shuts the door quietly behind him and glances around. They really did forget... I guess I'll just head to bed then... Jerome, sighing inwardly, takes one step forward. And confetti is blasting in his face. In the blink of an eye, every single person in the village is popping up from somewhere in the room.

     "HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEROME!!!"
      "Wha..." Jerome states, his jaw hanging open. Everyone chuckles and Lachlan steps out holding a cake.
     "Happy birthday Jerome, sorry we ignored you all day. We wanted to surprise you earlier than this... but you left so we had to delay it till now. But anyways, even though it's late let's celebrate!"
     "But wait, first, I think Mitch has something to give to you on behalf of all of us. I mean, of course we all got something for you but this is pretty special." Preston declares, Mitch stepping forward with something hidden behind his back.
     "Happy birthday Jerome." Mitch states simply, holding out what was behind his back.

     Jerome gasps as Mitch places the brand new, shiny diamond axe into his hands. Is obviously razor sharp, and the wood is nicely polished.

"I.. I don't know what to say... Thanks guys-"
"ALRIGHT! Enough with the mushy stuff, let's get this party started!" Martin shouts, everyone exploding into cheer.

Needless to say, Jerome is literally dragged into the crowd. And they all stayed up until the morning sun broke over the horizon. Though the next night, an unusually large horde of mobs attacked the village. Luckily no one died, although a few were injured. But Jerome thought nothing of it. He was just happy to slice them up with his next axe, which he for some reason names Betty.

~~~

     ~Jerome's P.O.V.~

"Woah this is so cool! Look at this Lachlan! I can pick up blocks with this... Without even touching them!"
"Can you throw them at things?"
     Whoosh, "HEY, Why me?!"
"Because you're a cactus, that's why he threw it at you Rob."
"Can it do anything else?"
"Umm... Let's see."
"AHHHHHH! VIKK WHAT THE FUDGE."
"So it can let me teleport too... I'll make a a note of that... It feels really weird though, and hurts a tiny bit. Oh and um... Sorry Rob."
"Guys..."
"So now you have a hand that lets you teleport and throw blocks at stuff?"
"Guys...?"
"I want a cool purple hand like that!"
"Guys...!"
"I mean you can have one if your actual hand gets chopped off and we find another mutant ender-"
"GUYS!"
"What?"
"Jerome's up."

     I groan and clutch at my throbbing head as everyone gathers around me, bombarding me with questions like 'you okay?' And 'What did you remember?'.

     "Woah, woah guys. Give the bacca some space! He just passed out not too long ago..." Lachlan commands, everyone drawing back with guilty expressions. "Alright so the first concern is, are you okay?"
I nod briskly, "Yeah, just a bit scratched up."
"Good." Lachlan continues, "Next, did you remember anything else?"
"Yeah but it's more so about the origin of my axe... Nothing really too helpful as to how we actually got here. You see... *Insert Jerome's memory here*"
Rob nods thoughtfully, "Yeah you are right Jerome. It seems it was focused on your axe. But then again, correct me if I'm wrong, you said there was an unusually large horde of mobs the following night?"
"Yeah...?"
"Well..." Rob continues, "I was thinking maybe that has something to do with our past. How many mobs do you think there were Jerome?"

I tilt my head back, drawing on my memories.

"Well it was quick, but I'd say at least a thousand..."
"ONE THOUSAND?! Like, one and three zeros?!" Preston exclaims, as Mitch chokes on air.
"Okay, that definitely has something to do with us." Vikk states warily.
"No one, er... Died... Did they?" Mitch questions.
"No. I mean, I don't think so..."
"Okay so it seems we're getting a bit closer now. But seriously, at this rate, someone's gonna be fatally injured... Seriously, VIKK, YOU LOST YOUR HAND. If it wasn't for that mutant Enderman drop..." Lachlan trails off, everyone falling silent. "There's some major veins there..." Lachlan adds in, barely above a whisper.
"On a lighter note... Let's start heading back." Preston states, cutting the grim silence.
"One problem..." I state, watching bemused as everyone's faces gradually transform into urgency. Seriously, their looks are priceless.

"THE HORSES!!!"

~~~