Chapter 10

Warnings: None

~Preston's P.O.V.~

     "Is everyone ready to go then?" Rob questions.

      We all look amongst ourselves and when no one objects Rob nods approvingly.

     "You got the horses ready, right Rob?" Mitch inquires.
     Rob nods, "They're all ready to go. So let's saddle up and head out!" He declares.

      Trailing after everyone I wait for them to all file through the stable door before bringing up the rear. Everyone walks to their respective horses and I approach Obsidian, my beautiful black horse.

     "Ready to go Obby?" I ask the horse, stroking his neck lovingly.

     Latching one of my feet into the stirrups I swing myself up and over his back. Vikk, Rob, Jerome, Mitch, and I turn towards the gates as Lachlan kicks them open before mounting his own horse, Sandstorm. Once again we all trot out of the gates, and again myself beginning up the rear.

     "Off we go!" Vikk shouts.

     Lashing Obsidian's reins we charge forwards to who knows where. Our horses thunder across the plains, snorting occasionally and not faltering in their speed. I've never really ridden this fast on a horse... Well from what I can remember that is... So needless to say I'm a bit unsure of my balance. But I know if I let my heat get up it would burn Obsidian and then he would most likely buck me off and run off into the distance... Leaving me to ride with someone else. Although eventually I find if I rock my hips in time with Obsidian's strides it's easier to cope with the fast speed.

The grass is smushed underneath our horses hooves, and we continue in in a large unorganized group. Up ahead crystal clear blue water is flowing three blocks wide. My heart starts beating wildly and I can feel myself start to heat up, Obsidian whinnying in discomfort. Breathe Preston, breathe. I take a shaky breath, watching as Mitch-who is in the lead- sail over the stream easily, Jerome right on his tail. Lachlan leaps next, Sandstorm easily clearing the river. A few seconds later Vikk, and now the gap is closing swiftly between me and my likely deathbed. Rob, the only person to jump the stream besides me, thunders towards it on his bulky mare, Winter. Winter neighs and clears the stream successfully, but not without kicking up a few droplets of water. One glance at those droplets, now merging back into the stream, and I harshly tug back on Obsidian's reins.

"Woah Obsidian!"

Obsidian skids to a stop, only a block away from the stream. Obsidian snorts, trotting in a circle as I nervously eye down the water, sloshing calmly against the banks. My eyes get captured in the flowing water and I start to get dizzy, having Obsidian back away from the banks.

"Preston we need to get going, the rest are already far ahead!" A voice calls from across the stream.

I looks up to see Rob mounted regally on top of Winter, motioning to Mitch, Jerome, Lachlan, and Vikk who are already three chunks away (a chunk is 16 blocks). I gulp, realizing that I'm viewing the stream much larger than it probably actually is. Rob groans and launches across the stream, landing beside me.

"It's not that hard Preston, look..." He trails on, once again crossing the river. "Now come on, we're gonna lose everyone!"
"But Rob..." I try to protest, but he's already galloping away.

Suck it up buttercup, this is important! I scold myself, lining up with the river.

"Hiyah!"

Obsidian rears up before speeding at the water, leaping over the stream with a burst of strength. I squeeze my eyes shut, expecting to sail off and land directly in the water. But when I feel the familiar bounce of myself on Obsidian's back, I peek open an eyes to see we've cleared the river and are gradually catching up with everyone else. Rob glances over his shoulder, smiles, and waves at me. I smile sheepishly back, returning the gesture. Rob flashes another toothy smile before returning his attention ahead, now caught up with Vikk, Lachlan, Mitch, and Jerome.

With another lash of the reins Obsidian is bolting forwards at full force, easily starting to gain distance on everyone else ahead of us. Letting out a long loony whoop I laugh at my own outburst and rush ahead, filled with determination.

~~~

"The Suns going to set soon, we should find shelter!" Jerome calls back to everyone, having taken the lead.
     I perk up, "Wait no Jerome! I'm starting to feel something!" I shout back, all of us slowing down to a trot and grouping together.
     "What way?" Vikk inquires, sliding to ride beside me.

     I close my eyes, trying to pick up on the faint sensation currently resonating within my brain. I turn my head notice that straight ahead it's the strongest. I open my eyes, letting them graze over the landscape ahead.

     "That way." I state, nodding ahead.
     Mitch looks off into the distance, "The desert then?" He hums.

     I nod to confirm, shifting in my saddle. But then Lachlan frowns.

     "Jerome has a point though, it's almost night. Is it really gonna be safe to cross the desert at night?"
     "You guys are both right, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing and mobs..." Rob trails on, glancing sideways as Vikk.
     "Are you trying to hint at something?" Vikk questions.
     "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're implying we're gonna meet another mutant mob... Aren't you Rob?" Jerome pipes up, shifting his horses position to ride beside Rob.

     Rob nods, all of us gazing uncertainly into the quickly approaching desert. The sky is painted with reds and oranges, the bright square sun almost halfway under the horizon. I glance around as the landscaped and find Rob's claim to be true... There aren't any mobs. Not for a long ways behind us, and definitely not ahead of us for an extreme distance. But as soon as our horses reach the borderline to the desert they start whinnying and rearing up.

     "Hey, hey, Arrow what's wrong?" Mitch says through clenched teeth, Arrow neighing and rearing up, backing away from the sand.

     I glance over and see Cocoa, Jerome horse, actually trying to buck him off. Obsidian joins in with the chorus of neighs and retreats away from the desert.

     "Twilight calm doOOOOWN-" Vikk shouts, Twilight rearing up so steep Vikk slips and falls back.
     "Guys I think we should leave our horses here." Rob states uneasily, sliding off Winter before she can replicate what happened to Vikk.

     Vikk groans and stands up, dusting off his clothing. Lachlan, Jerome, Mitch, and I slip off our horses which in turn they snort and back away a few blocks.

     "Now you stay there, and don't you dare move." Lachlan commands Sandstorm, stomping his foot down for effect.
     "It's a lot stronger now, I think we should get going." I comment, leading the way as we wander out into the desert and away from our steeds.

     The sand shifts under my feet as I lead us into the eerily silent desert. Cautiously I draw out my iron sword, hurriedly equipping my armour too. Keeping our eyes peeled we scan the empty desert for anything other than a cactus or dead bush. Every block we step, the stronger the feeling gets, so I assume we are traveling in the right direction. And then my eyes catch an abnormal shape, silhouetted against the sandy ground.

     "There!" I exclaim, jogging towards it.

     After I'm twenty blocks away I can tell that is a potted cactus, but not like a normal one. This cactus is longer, and has two arms sticking from it. Right before I scoop it up I turn back to everyone to tell them of my discovery.

     "Guys I think this is what we're supposed... To... Um. You guys might wanna turn around right about now..."

~~~