Chapter 4

Warnings: Mention of blood

     ~Vikk's P.O.V.~

We all whip around and pull out our swords, expecting a zombie to shuffle out from behind the bush. But everyone just kinda freezes when it emerges. It's not a zombie... No... it's quite the opposite. A male appears from behind the bush and freezes when he sees us with our swords drawn. He has tawny brown hair which spikes up slightly. He's wearing a blue hoodie, white t-shirt, and black pants. A small stream of blood is trickling down from his head and his hazel eyes are filled with confusion and fear. But we immediately lower our swords when we realize he's not a threat.

     "Sorry we thought you were a zombie." Preston explains, "I'm Preston."
     "I'm Vikk."
     "The names Lachlan"
"My name is Rob..." He replies weakly and cautiously.
     "Are you okay? You look petty beat up there. Come sit down." Preston states worriedly.

      Rob nods and Preston scoots over to make room on the log he's sitting on. Rob kinda stumbles over before slumping down. I push myself to my feet and slide over to him, offering a piece of steak in my hand. He accepts it gratuitously, chomping down on it without hesitation.

"So what happened to you anyway?" Lachlan questions, leaning back against a tree.
"Well I couldn't get anywhere safe before nightfall so I was stuck fighting mobs all night... A creeper blew up and a piece of stone hit my head resulting in well... This." Rob explains, pointing at his head.
"Ouch. Hey Rob... You wouldn't happen to have a house nearby would you?" I question.
"That's just the thing... I don't actually know I got here... A couple of days ago I found myself in the middle of this forest with no clue of my past or where I was..." Rob continues, staring off into the distance.
"That happened to us too!" Preston exclaims.
"What?"
"He's not joking. Each of us has just kinda appeared here... With no memories. Let me guess, you suddenly were here at night when the fog was really heavy, right?" Lachlan guesses.

     Rob nods, his jaw hanging open.

     "I wonder how many more there are... Like us. Or maybe this is all of us?" I ponder, glancing at Lachlan, Rob, and Preston in turn.
     "This is strange..." Rob agrees, furrowing his brow in thought.
     "We need to get to the bottom of this. I can't handle not having any memories forever." Preston chimes in.
     "Well at least we know one thing... We all must have known each other before whatever happened caused us to lose our memories. I mean, the exact same thing has happened to us... At the exact same time. It's really weird." Lachlan states, all of us nodding our agreements.

     The next minute or so is filled with nothing but the sounds of the forest. We all sit there, lost in thought. I close my eyes and rest my head in my hands, thinking hard. Something seems to be telling me Rob isn't the last one. There are more... I can feel it... I note, opening my eyes and silently glancing around the area. I look back down at the ground. But even if we manage to find whoever is in this same situation... What then? Well I guess we'll have to try and get our memories back... But how? I know I have absolutely no clue, and I doubt any of the others do either. This time when I glance up everyone has shifted. Preston and Rob are discussing something quietly, what I don't know, Lachlan is sharpening his sword with a random stone, someone is standing half hidden by a tree, looking on, the wind is blowing lightly... Hold up.

I snap my head back towards the trees and freeze when I see a figure, hidden by shadows, hidden behind a tree. Preston, Rob, and Lachlan don't seem to notice them so I'm left to stare awkwardly back at them. Just for protection I reach for my sword but as soon as I move the figure bolts away and I only catch a glimpse of red and black before they've dove over a bush.