Chapter 26

Warnings: None

~Preston's P.O.V.~

Three days later...

     "Okay, something's definitely wrong. They've been gone for over three days now, and that tells me I need to do something. But what...?"

     I pace restlessly around my temporary shelter, a mix of stress and worry overwhelming my brain. "If we're not back by tomorrow night... Then somethings wrong." Those are the words that keep replaying in my head, like a skipping record. Because it's currently the morning three days after they left, which obviously isn't a good sign. Honestly, why did I even wait this long before deciding to do something??

Groaning in frustration I abruptly stop my pacing and slam my head against the window, blankly staring at the snowy biome ahead. If only Obsidian, or any of the horses for that matter, would just let me ride them into the biome. But because of the stupid mutant they won't even go near the snow. I'd go myself but if any of that snow gets into my clothing... I'm done for. Which is why I need to ride on something if there's any chance of me going in there. My eyes drift over to our horses, grazing in the makeshift pen I had crafted them. And then my eyes flicker towards a wild pig hopping around in the snow. Unless...

I spring into action, jumping over to my chest and rummaging around inside.

"Cmon... I know you're in there... Aha!"

I grin widely as I pull out a singular carrot from inside unorganized chest, along with sticks and string. While I'm at it I also extract my bow, arrows, sword, and set of worn out armour. Sliding over to my crafting table, I swiftly place down the sticks and string, a fishing rod forming only a second later. Then placing the newly crafted fishing rod back on the crafting bench, I place down the carrot and combine them to make a carrot on a stick.

"I hope I don't regret this..." I mumble, grabbing a ton of food before rushing out the door.

Bursting into the horse pen, I quickly approach Obsidian and slip off his saddle. Obsidian snorts in confusion as I turn to leave. Guilt forces me to turn back and stroke Obsidian's neck reassuringly.

"I need to go and save my friends. So take care of yourself, okay? Don't go wandering off or anything, and make sure they don't either." I continue, nodding towards the five other horses, "Heh... I sound like Rob now. But I'll be back soon. I promise." I vow to my companion, scratching behind his ear.

Obsidian whinnies in displeasure, but I force myself to leave the pen and not look back.

Stepping to the edge of the snow biome, I pull out my carrot on a stick and dangle it in front of the pig. Still reluctant to step into the snow, I try and catch the pigs attention.

"Here piggy piggy piggy. I've got a yummy carrot for you!" I state in a sing song way, the pig happily trotting over. "Aww who's a good pig? You are, yes you are." I baby talk it, slipping on the saddle.

The pig oink in surprise when I hop onto its back without warning, but doesn't put up a fight when I dangle the carrot in front of its snout. I swing the carrot to the side, leading the pig back into the snow as it tries to run and nip at it. The snow crunches under the pigs feet as it continues onward, and it takes all my will power not to chicken out and turn back. They need you right now Preston, you can't turn back and just abandon them. I remind myself.

"Well... Here goes nothing..." I sigh, watching as the distance between myself and the safe and comforting grassy land gradually widens. "Now I've just got to figure out which way they went."

I scan my surrounding as I bounce along on the pig, trying to find some sort of evidence they passed by this way. It's not long before I pick out the trail of five distinct foot prints etched into the snow.

"Well that's convenient." I chuckle, directing the pig to follow along side the tracks. "Don't worry guys..." I continue, gazing confidently ahead, "I'm coming."

~~~

     "No, pig! Go that way! STOP IT YOU LITTLE CACTUS!"

     It's been what seems an eternity since I've left, and at some point along the way I guess I had started to doze off. This led to be accidentally hanging the carrot too close to the pig, and the pig easily chomping down the entire thing. So now it won't listen to a thing I tell it, and it's just wandering around aimlessly.

     "Stupid pig..." I grumble, absentmindedly slapping it.

     The pig squeals in distress, and almost instantly throws me off its back before dashing away.

     "NO, WAIT, IM SORRY!" I call after it, springing to my feet, but it's already too late.

     Speaking of too late I realize where I'm standing. Or rather, what I'm standing in.

     "Oh fUDGE."

     Pure fear immobilizes me as I eye down the seemingly harmless snowflakes scattered around my feet. But to me, these tiny snowflakes are like little daggers. Not to mention I've already had a near fatal accident involving water... And not too long ago either.

     My skin rapidly heats due to natural reflex, and the snow around my feet begins to melt into small puddles. I help and jump away from the deathly liquid, forcing myself to calm down so I don't literally kill myself.

     "It's okay Preston... You have armour on. As long as it doesn't start to snow, and you don't fall down, you'll be okay." I remind myself, although not finding it particularly helps calm my nerves.

     Trying to keep a poker face, I lift my eyes away from the snow, instead focusing directly ahead. And then I take a shaky step forward, jumping every time the snow crunches beneath my weight. But not one minute later, all my fear is replaced with curiosity as I eye what seems to be the entrance to a cave off in the distance. But from what I can tell the entrance seems to be sealed off with cobblestone. Glancing back down at the trail of footprints I've been following, I notice that up ahead they seems to branch off into frenzied patterns...

     "As if they were fighting something..."

     I perk up instantly and bound over to the area of flattened snow, after a few minutes of inspecting coming to a conclusion.

     Not only are there larger footprints than anyone owns here, signifying what I assume is a mutant, but my friends tracks suddenly stop... I glance towards the cave, and these larger footprints lead towards the cave. If I'm right then something must have gone wrong and Vikk had to teleport everyone away. But that means they could be in trouble... I need to hurry!

     With that I turn on my heels, drawing my sword and sprinting towards the cave. It's a shame I failed to notice the fish lying half covered in snow.

~~~