Chapter 9

Warnings: None

~Back to Vikk's P.O.V.~

     "Presssssssssstonnnnnn I require your assistaaaaaaaaanceeee." I call out, knocking on his door lightly.

     From the opposite side of the door I hear a groan, and shuffling. Stepping back I wait until the door creaks open a minute later, revealing an extremely exhausted Preston. He grumbles a 'what is it Vikk...', yawning widely a second later.

     "Think you could warm this up for me?" I question, drawing the bucket of water into vision.

     The water sloshes about, a single droplet sailing over the edge and landing in front of Preston. He yelps and jumps back, staring at the water likes its a bomb about to explode.

     "Are you trying to kill me Vikk? I'm pretty much made of lava, water is a death sentence for me!" Preston huffs as I lower the pale slightly.
     "Really? I always thought you were made of slime." I comment sarcastically, Preston rolling his eyes. "But seriously jokes aside, I need some warm water so I can get a hot cloth and give it to Lachlan. He's getting a bit better but he told me has a headache so I thought a hot towel might work."

     Preston eyes the water warily, inching forwards. Finally he sighs, taking a hold of the handle.

     "Fine but if I turn into stone I'm blaming it on you." Preston grumbles, withdrawing into his room and huddling up on his bed, the water bucket nestled against his stomach.

     He wraps his arms around it and leans back, closing his eyes. I stand there awkwardly in the doorway, shuffling my feet. Eventually though he straitens out and hands me the bucket once again, the water inside now steaming.

     "Thanks Preston!" I holler, meandering down the hall to Lachlan's room, bucket in hand.

     I gently push open Lachlan's door, slipping into the room. Lachlan is still in the exact same position he was yesterday,  rolled onto his side with his legs tucked in and arms hugging around his chest.

     "Hey Lachlan, I got the warm water for you." I state softly, Lachlan stirring to peer at me through one eye.

     Dipping a peice of cloth into the bucket I let it absorb the hot liquid before drawing out the fabric and wringing it tightly to drain the excess water. Creeping over to Lachlan's side I gently splay the cloth over his forehead before stepping back.

     "Thanks Vikk, I appreciate it." Lachlan mumbles faintly, shifting his position slightly so the cloth doesn't slip off.

     I nod, lifting the bucket into my arms and starting back towards the door. Taking one last glance to make sure Lachlan isn't going to randomly start having a seizure I quietly click shut the door. But as soon as I turn around I bump right into something and jump nearly three feet in the air before stumbling back and falling onto my backside.

     "Someone's a little jumpy today, eh?" Mitch chuckles.
     "You scared, the living life outta me." I state, laughing breathily.

     Mitch chuckles again, reaching out a hand to help me up. Once on my feet I brush off my pants, thankful that I put the water away in my inventory before exiting Lachlan's room.

     "So how's Lachlan doing?" Mitch inquires, tilting his head towards Lachlan's door.
     "He's getting a lot better. He should be good either today or tomorrow... Why?"
     "Oh that's great cuz Preston, Jerome, Rob, and I were thinking of heading out again soon to see if any of us can catch onto the feeling of another item that could trigger our memories. We decided that we'd wait till Lachlan recovers before going... So since, according to you, he's feeling better how about we leave tomorrow? We're thinking of heading off through the plains because I have a feeling the next item won't be too near the first one. So how about it?"
"I'm in." Lachlan's faint voice calls through the door before I can answer.
"Well I guess that settles that then." I chuckle.
     "It sure does... We leave tomorrow as soon as the mobs burn, so be ready." Mitch reminds me, before turning and strolling down the staircase.
     "Hey Vikk!" Lachlan calls from inside his room, just barley audible.
     "Yeah, what's up?" I ask, cracking open his door to peek my head in.

     This time when I see him he's managed to seat himself upright and is leaning against the wall, holding the cloth to his forehead.

     "Y'know... I'd be absolutely wonderful if you could uh, grab me a bite to eat." He states cheekily.
     "You're sure there is no way you can get up and walk like, I don't know, forty blocks?" I challenge.

Lachlan leans over in a dramatic way, using the back of his hand to lean against his forehead and the other arm to clutch at his stomach.

     "Oh but I am so very hungry Vikky," he leans even more, "I don't think I can bear it much longer," he leans until he's hanging with his entire upper body hanging upside down off the bed, "I... I see the light..." He reaches out with one hand before flopping limply over the edge of his bed.

     I burst out laughing and Lachlan peeks at me through one eye, smiling slightly. He giggles too and then proceeds to fall limp again, which only causes me to laugh more, so much so that I'm crying. Finally I calm down enough to speak, and I wipe away a tear collecting in my eye.

    "If you can put on an act like that, you're well enough to get yourself some food." I state matter-of-factly.
     "Oh come o-"
     "But." I interrupt, "Because I haven't laughed like that in who knows how long I'll be your servant just for this one thing."

     Lachlan smiles warmly.

     "Thanks Vikk. Oh and, here, I don't think this serves much use anymore..." Lachlan trails on, handing me his now cold cloth.
     "I'll be right back with your food." I promise him, backing out of the doorway and shutting it gently behind me.

     Once again when I turn around I bump into something, jump out of my skin, and fall backwards. I glare at Jerome who is standing there with an amused look on his face.

     "Sorry Vi-"
     "WHAT IS IT WITH YOU PEOPLE AND SCARING ME!?"

~~~