Chapter 11

Warnings: Blood and one swear (but it's cut off).

~Preston's P.O.V.~

     "WE'VE GOT COMPANY!" I holler, everyone whipping around, jumping, and backing towards me.

     One green and black foot stomps down, a second one joining it soon after. Attached to these feet, three block long legs, and another set jutting out behind. Nestled on the four legs, a long thin body, neck, and head, all varying with different shades of green. And finally, on this head, a large gaping mouth, and black shrunken in eyes, drilling into my soul.

     "Looks like this battle is a mutant creeper!" Jerome exclaims.
     "NO DUH JEROME." Lachlan shoots back, quickly drawing his duel swords.

With a strong hiss the creeper is charging at us, it's long legs serving well to glide over the sand. In the blink of an eyes it's in front of us, and lashing out with its head... To try and bite us or head butt us or something... I don't know. Usually creepers explode to attack, not bite or head butt...

"MOVE!" Mitch screeches, all of us diving to the sides.

The creepers hisses in anger, spinning around as we fan out around it.

"Keep it in the middle, it can't focus on all of us at one time!" Rob hollers.

Mitch draws his bow and notches an arrow, hitting the creeper near the middle of one of its legs. I follow suit, stashing my sword away and shooting it as it tries to go for Mitch. It hisses again, turning its attention to me and creeping my way, that is until Vikk lunges forward, slashes it, and retreats before it can while around and injure him.

"Ha, this creeper has nothing on us!" Vikk exclaims, Jerome drawing its attention away when it charges at him.

The creeper hisses furiously, backing up into the middle of our circle. It narrows its eyes, eyes down each of us in turn for a few seconds. Then an evil glint flashes across its eyes.

"I think you spoke too soon Vikk..." Jerome states, all of us stepping back as the creeper shudders.

Suddenly multiple tiny creepers, only the size of a fence post, are shooting out from underneath it.

"IT HAS FRIENDS!" Lachlan shouts, jumping back as one explodes at his feet, "AND THEY EXPLODE TOO!"

The wave of mini creepers charge at us, and we all split up, trying to create distance. I spin around on my heels, quickly pulling out my sword and slashing at them before they can detonate. Luckily it doesn't seem many of them followed me, so I have a moment to look up and see that everyone seems to be managing... Except for Rob. He's taking on the mini creepers with ease, having two swords an all, but he's failing to notice the mutant sneaking up behind him.

"HEY UGLY!" I call, drawing my bow.

The creeper turns around, and I pull back the string.

"THIS IS FOR YOU!"

The arrow plunges into the creepers neck, and it hisses in anger, swiftly charging at me and a new wave of mini creepers following suit. Rob quickly glances back, mouths a 'thanks', and jumps back just as a few creepers explode at his feet.

The mutant along with five mini creepers scuttle towards me. I quickly shoot down three of the mini creepers before the rest reach me, and I whip out my sword. Deciding the smaller creepers can wait, I jump at the mutant and slash at it. But in turn the mutant, only slightly damaged, lashes out with its head and slams it into my stomach. The force is so strong I go sailing back and rolling a few blocks away.

"Definitely *cough* a headbutter..." I wheeze, hunching over on all fours.

I turn my head to the side and reach for my sword, only to find myself looking right into the face of two mini creepers.

"Oh shi-" Boom.

Again I'm sailing over the blocks, and again I'm rolling over a few times before skidding to a stop. I cough harshly, the wind knocked directly from my lungs. If it wasn't for my armour I'd be blown to pieces right now. Although unfortunately I notice I've gained a nasty gash across my arm, seeing the blood seeping through my sweater. Groaning I roll onto my stomach and attempt to push myself up, until an all to familiar green foot is slamming me back down. I wince at the pain searing in my arm, and the tight pressure as the wind is squished out of me. I struggle to look up, right into the void black eyes of the mutant creeper. It hisses smugly, lifting its head up. I turn away, trying to tuck my head in and brace for impact. When the weight is lifted.

"NO. GET OFF OF HIM."

I crack open an eye to see Rob repeatedly jabbing the the creeper, and expertly dodging its every blow. And not ten seconds later everyone else is joining at his side, taking turns in jabbing then retreating before it can slam them.

With another hiss the creeper is sending out a wave of mini creepers, but this time everyone groups together, and jump back as soon as they explode, causing the mutant to get hurt instead of them. It hisses even more fiercely and once again sends out another assault of mini creepers. But apparently it didn't learn from last time, as the five once again wait for them to explode and jumping back, the mutant caught in the explosion. It hisses in pain, and falters... Starting to flash white.

"ITS GONNA BLOW, EVERYONE MOVE!" Vikk shrieks, everyone backing away.

But it isn't going for them. It's going for me. The creeper, as fast as it can, staggers towards me while flashing white faster and faster. Still immobilized from the initial blow, I can't even move an inch. Rob suddenly catches my eye and although everyone calls their protests after him, he shoots away from them. Literally a half a second before the creeper explodes, Rob throws himself over me, crying out as the explosion hits him full on... But not me.

     "Rob!" I gasp, watching as he shudders and coughs up some blood beside me.
     He glances at me, faintly smiling, "I'll... Be... Okay. G-go get that... Cactus..."

    And just as the moon passes halfway in the sky, Rob collapses on top of me.

     "ROBERT!" I repeat, finding my strength and squirming out from beneath him.
     "Preston, Rob, are you guys okay?!" Mitch blurts, everyone coming to our sides.

     I shake my head frantically.

     "I'm fine but you need to help Rob! He took the explosion on by himself!" I explain shakily, Jerome kneeling down beside Rob's limp body.

     Jerome pulls out his arm, touching his wrist lightly.

      "He's still with us, but he needs attention really soon..." Jerome reports, standing up slowly.
     "I brought a healing potion with me that I picked up from a witch the other day. Mitch, help Preston up and get him to the cactus. I'll stay here with Jerome and Lachlan and we'll tend to Rob." Vikk orders.

     Everyone nods and Mitch comes to my side, holding out his hand.

     "Up you go big guy..." He grunts, pulling me up.

     Keeping a hand on my shoulder so I don't fall, Mitch stays by my side as I stumble towards the cactus. Reaching it I bend down to pick it up, but not before glancing sideways at Mitch.

     "If the same thing happens to me that happened to Rob I'll faint so um... Catch me would ya?"

     And with that I scoop up the cactus, a second later falling back and blackness clouding my vision.

~~~