Chapter 27

Warnings: Minor violence

~Lachlan's P.O.V.~

Three days. It's been three days since the snow golems defeated us. Three days we've been waiting in this gloomy cave, on a seemingly lost hope that Preston will find us. Three days of hiding in fear as the constant bashing against the cobble stone walls reminds us of the dangers lurking outside. Two days since Jerome has woken up, and one day since Rob came around... But then there's that magic three again - Three days since Mitch was responsive. Three days of no sleep, for the fear the mutants might break in. Three days of starving... The food we collected didn't last long at all. To put it simply, it's been three days of absolute misery.

Every once in a while the banging of the snow golems trying to break in would stop. But just when we thought they might have given up, and gone to check, all we'd find is a pumpkin face staring right back. Even now the banging has stopped, but we all know they're still there. I groan loudly in frustration, rising to my feet in an aggressive way. Rob's, Jerome's, and Vikk's eyes all lock onto me as I hastily draw my swords.

"That's it. I'm sick and tired of waiting around. We're gonna starve here anyway if we don't do something... Preston's obviously not coming and I'd rather take a risk getting out of here than wasting another second sitting around and wasting time!" I rant, all the while approaching the protective cobblestone wall.
"No Lachlan! Mitch is still not doing good, and those things are probably still waiting to ambush us!" Jerome exclaims, the three of them hopping to their feet in alarm.
"And Mitch is gonna die if we don't get him healed up soon!" I exclaim, Jerome's stern expression wavering slightly.
"Lachlan, Preston will come! It's been three days! Even if it's super dangerous for him to wander out here, I know he'd do it to save us." Rob states firmly, trying a different approach.

I scoff and give Rob the cold shoulder, pulling out a pickaxe and preparing to strike the cobble. But then a hand is grabbing at my forearm.

"Lachlan you'll kill yourself! This is ridicul-" Smack.

The air is filled with nothing but shocked silence as Vikk stumbles a few steps back. Vikk reaches a gentle hand up to lightly touch his cheek, still slightly reddened. Tears prick to his eyes as he catches my gaze, where as Rob looks absolutely distraught and Jerome edgy and tense. The emotions swelling up inside me quite literally take control, and I spin around without a second thought and start hacking at the cobble.

But only a second before the stone shatters, Jerome has sprung up behind me, and bear hugs me from behind.

"LET GO OF ME JEROME." I practically screech, trying to twist myself around.

But although I am the tallest of us, Jerome is definitely stronger than I am. So no matter how much I thrash about, Jerome manages to keep a tight grip on me. I continue to try and struggle free, desperate to break down the wall and just get out of this forsaken cave.

"Lachlan's going mad!" Rob exclaims fearfully.
"You think?!" Jerome grunts, struggling to keep me still.

Vikk is still silent, taken aback of my harsh action, a mix of emotions upon his face and a few tears streaking down his cheeks. I cry out in rage, trying my best to wrench away from Jerome's grip. Rob, who now has fearful tears streaming down his face too, rushes to Jerome's side. Together they forcefully pin me down on the ground, Jerome having to lean his fully body weight on my while Rob contains my kicking legs.

"LACHLAN, GET IT TOGETHER." Jerome shouts, obviously reluctant to harm me. "LOOK AT WHAT YOU'RE DOING."

Although still squirming, I lift my head enough to see Jerome's worried and desperate expression, torn emotions visible in his demeanour. Rob, who has frightened tears streaming down his face, as he tries to help Jerome pin me down. Mitch's unmoving form off in the corner, making me imagine what he would do if he was awake right now. And finally Vikk... Poor Vikk is still dazed, which is understandable since I slapped him. I slapped Vikk... My own friend. What am I doing?! I'm literally being pinned down because I was trying to single handedly take on four mutant snow golems! And for what? Because we've been in this cave for a mere three days?!

My own thoughts seem to snap me out of my crazed state, and I stop all my struggles. Instantly tears pool up in my eyes and begin to spill.

"I-I'm so sorry!" I cry, "Jerome, Rob, Vikk, I am so, so SO sorry! I don't know what came over me..."

While I continue on repeatedly apologizing, Rob and Jerome let me go, pulling me up into a sitting position. Ashamed, I hide my face within my arms, not wanting to catch anyone's eye. But even after everything I just did, they don't abandon me, but instead kneel down beside me and start rubbing my back.

"It's okay Lachlan... We're all stressed out right now..." Rob soothes.
"Trust me, I don't want to be here anymore that you do... But we just have to keep holding out until Preston gets here." Jerome sympathizes.

I nod shakily, sniffling and wiping away my tears. And then Vikk approaches, kneeling down in front of me. I frown and guilt stabs directly through my heart.

"Vikk I really didn't mean to hit you! I... I just..."
"It's okay Lachlan. I forgive you." Vikk reassures me, all three of them hugging me tightly.
"So... Um. Anyone wanna tell me what's happening?"

All four of us jump up at the weak voice, pulling away from the tight group hug and whipping around. Mitch is now sitting up, propping himself up against the wall with a slightly concerned yet amused expression.

"Mitch!" We all shout in unison, scrambling over to him and pretty much tackling him all at once.
"Mitch you scared us! You were out for three days!" Vikk exclaims happily as the four of us back up to give him some space.
"Really I was out that long...?"
"Yeah you were! We actually thought you might not make it!" Jerome explains.
"Cmon now Jerome, you really think I'd let you guys get all the fun? After what they did to us, I'm ready to smash their ugly pumpkin faces into a pulp!" Mitch states confidently, driving his fist into his palm.
     "That's great and all Mitch, but right now we're going to get you some food. And I guess it's worth mentioning that we, as in the five of us, aren't going to take out the mutants."
     "Why?"
     "Well why don't I just tell you everything since you got knocked out, alright?"

     With that I begin to relay the past few days to Mitch. I tell him what happened after he, Jerome, and Rib got knocked out, and how Vikk all teleported us here to save us. Next I relay the plan Vikk and I made, about waiting for Preston to come so he can melt the snowmen. Then I tell him about how miserable these past three days were, and how once Jerome and Rob got up, we started to fear the worst for him. And although I hesitate at first, I even tell him about my breakdown just minutes ago. The entire time Mitch nods along thoughtfully.

The moment I finish Mitch opens his mouth to speak, when suddenly the cobblestone starts to break.

~~~