Chapter 6

Warnings: None

     ~Vikk's P.O.V.~

"Alright, real talk here guys. It's been a couple of months now and we don't have a single clue on how to get our memories back. We need to start playing our cards differently." I state.
"You're right Vikk... At this rate we'll live out our lives and die before we get an answer." Jerome agrees seriously.
"Who's up for an exploration then? The only way we're really going to find out anything is if we start looking." Preston says, exaggerating the 'really'.

The three of us are sitting in a small group, Rob currently tending to the horses, Mitch off hunting, and Lachlan... Well no one really knows where he went.

"So here's the game plan... That is if it's good with all of you... We start getting ready and leave together in two days time. Then if we can't find anything within the next three days after departure we return here and try again in the other three directions."
"And if we still can't find anything..." I add, "We'll extend our travelling time."
"And suppose were unlucky enough to find nothing we'll switch our base location and try again." Jerome finishes.
"Sounds good to me. I'll go fetch Rob and tell him what's happening. For Mitch we'll just have to wait for him to come back... And as for Lachlan... I don't even know. I guess we'll have to wait for him too."

Preston and Jerome nod, beginning their own conversation as I push myself up and head towards the stables.

"Yo Rob." I call, swinging open the door.
"Watcha need Vikk?" He questions, stepping away from his beautiful white mare, Winter.
"Preston, Jerome, and I are thinking of heading out in two days to explore and look for something to give us a clue on who we really are. We're gonna be gone for three days... And we were hoping you'd join us."
"Yeah no problem dude. I'm assuming we'll be taking the horses then?"
"Correct."
"Alright I'll get them all rested up and prepared." Rob promises, stroking Winter's snout.
"Thanks a bunch Rob, and if you see Lachlan me know would ya?"
"Sure thing Vikk, cya later."
"Cya."

With that I stroll back into the house, noticing Mitch has already returned. Jerome is talking to him, which I can only assume must be about the trip, and Preston is shoving a bunch of raw meat into a furnace. Probably from Mitch's hunt. I wait politely for Jerome to finish speaking to Mitch before approaching him. I clear my throat to gather his attention and Mitch turns to me, currently gnawing on a carrot.

     "Hey Mitch, you didn't happen to see Lachlan while you were out, did you?"
     "No, why do you ask?" Mitch replies after swallowing, going in for another bite soon after.
     "Well none of us really know where he went... Thanks anyways though."

     Mitch shrugs and nods, walking away to finish off his carrot. I frown, glancing at the front doors and trying to imagine where Lachlan could have wandered off to. And at the exact same moment, those doors slam open and Lachlan bursts through in a frenzie. The commotion causes all of us to stare at Lachlan in shock, Rob even poking his head through the door to the stables to determine what's going on.

     "Guys, you need to come see this. Like. Now." Lachlan states urgently, his eyes displaying a curious kind of fear.

     All of us exchange glances before we quickly rush after Lachlan to see this thing he's freaking out about. But not with out all scurrying upstairs to grab our weapons.

     Bolting out the door we follow Lachlan into the spruce forest, discussing amongst ourselves what on earth it could be. Lachlan having gained a head start is twenty blocks ahead of us, so we all increase our pace and thunder after him. Eventually Lachlan skids to a stop in a small clearing and we jump out into the open, not really sure of what to expect. And all five of us freeze. Rob, who has been trailing behind since getting a late start on the chase, lunges into the clearing.

     "What are we all loooooooooh my gosh. What. Is. That."

      Tangled within the trees ahead of us is web, upon web, upon web. The silky string stretches for what seems like forever between the trees, some of it going as far up as the leaves. The webs are so thick it's almost impossible to see through them, and not only does it look like it goes on forever, but it also stretches wide for quite a long ways. We all jump back in surprise as a spider scuttles out from underneath the mess. It gazes at us with its red eyes, hisses, and continues on its way. Thank goodness spiders are neutral in the daytime.

     "Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and even more nopes. I'm out." Preston utters, shaking his head wildly.
     "What kind of monstrosity managed to make that?" Jerome mutters, rubbing a hand nervously across his cheek.
     "I don't wanna stay long enough to find out thank you very much." Mitch comments, not moving his eyes away from the webs for a second.

     Lachlan looks like he's about to faint, his whole face pale. Although I can't blame him, because even the bravest person could get chills from this. And you're basically dead if you have arachnophobia...

     "How about we just go back... And ignore this. I don't want to meet whatever's in there." I state weakly, starting to turn away.

     Everyone mumbles their agreements, everyone except Rob. As we all start to walk away, Rob doesn't budge. He doesn't even glance back at us. If anything he actually takes a step towards the mass.

     "Rob, c'mon, literally the worst thing you could be doing right now is walking towards it." Preston comments, watching in dismay as Rob ignores him and takes another step.
     "Seriously Rob, this is no time to be playing detective." Jerome states, all of us turning to face him.
     "No guys... That's not it... I think there's something in there. Like I mean, connected to our pasts."

~~~