Chapter 32

Warnings: Not really a warning but this chapter is short. (Only 551 words)

     ~Vikk's P.O.V.~

"Okay guys this is it. Once we beat this mutant -which we will- then... Well, I don't really know what then. But I know that it'll be worth it!" Preston exclaims, quickly recovering from his slip.

After Jerome, myself, and Mitch got back from our trip, we immediately told Lachlan, Rob, and Preston of our discovery. Lachlan's initial reaction was nervous, which is understandable seeing as my fight is located in a pitch black cave, littered with mobs. Rob seemed more shocked than anything, it surprised him that my feeling was underground whereas everyone else's had been been a over ground. And then there's Preston. He just seemed excited to finally figure out this mystery once and for all, his giddiness prominent even now.

"What do you guys think the mob will be? So far they've only been overworld mobs, even if some of them are usually supposed to be neutral." Rob inquires, the gears in his mind visibly turning.
"It could be anything really. A zombie, slime, silverfish, witch... It could even be a bat for all we know." Lachlan lists off.
     "Whatever it is, I just want to get it done and over with. So, is everyone ready then?" I assure, receiving five nods of consent. "Good. Let's go!"
     "Also." Mitch cuts in before any of us take a single step, "We shouldn't need to bring our horses. The mine isn't too far from here. Okay now let's go."

~~~

"And now I get why you guys called it the 'pit of death'." Preston breathes, nervousness lacing his voice.

The six of us now stand facing the pit, the light emitting from Preston's skin not doing much to light up the abyss of shadows. Our weapons are drawn, but we all hesitate to approach the edge. Why is it that we had almost no hesitation at the other fights, but now, none of us want to even go close? I ponder.

     Somewhere within the darkness, a set of piercing red eyes break through the shadows, staring directly at us. These are accompanied by a hiss, and the unseen spider scuttles away.

     "I guess we should go down there now..." Rob states quietly.
     "Yeah... Let's go." Preston agrees unsurely, but none of us move.

      Suddenly, three creeper are charging out from behind us, their stubby feet letting them almost silently drift over the stone. But just loud enough to alert us that they're there. Our heads snap around as the three mobs quickly approach. In no mental condition to fight, still being unnerved by the pit, we don't go after them. But instead...

     "GO GO GO!" Mitch screeches, the six of us spinning on our heels and bolting towards the drop off.
     "UM MITCH, NOW WHAT." Lachlan yells, skidding to a stop in front of the ledge.
     "JUMP!" I shout, shooting past Lachlan a diving into the shadows.

     Falling and spinning in midair, I catch a glimpse of everyone else following suit, and the three creepers faces staring down from above. Soon enough their monstrous faces are covered in blackness, and the only light in our stomach dropping free fall is coming from Preston's skin. And then, in the blink of an eye, the world disappears with a crack.

~~~