Chapter 33

To make up for the last chapter, I made this one longer than normal :)

Warnings: Blood

~Vikk's P.O.V.~

     "Nngh..."

     Well. That's a surprise. I'm not dead, which really should be a good thing, but being dead doesn't sound too bad right now. I inwardly grumble, pain encasing my entire body along with a pounding headache. After all, if I was dead, I wouldn't be feeling this much pain. At least... I don't think so. I haven't been dead before, so who's to say? Whatever... I guess I should probably open my eyes.

     The moment I crack open my eyes, I think with a start that I might be blind, seeing nothing but darkness all around. But upon turning a bit more, I can see two light sources. One being a bright light off in the distance, and the other a dull warm glow directly in front of me. The first light I recognize to be daylight, which only confuses my more seeing as last time I checked, we were underground. The second light on the other hand, is unmistakably coming from Preston's skin. I'm about to approach him to check if he's okay when I hear shifting to my right, in an area where no light can reach.

     "Ow my head..." A pained voice mumbles.
     "Jerome? Is that you?" I question in the general direction of the voice, trying to pick out its distinctiveness.
     "Yeah, is that you Vikk?" Jerome asks back.
     "Yes, hang on a sec, I think I might have a torch."

     I reach into my inventory, and as I guessed, find a single torch. Pulling it out, the flames instantly light up the area. Jerome is sitting near a corner, a scowl on his face as he rubs his head. Preston is sprawled out on his back near the opposite wall, his skin glowing less bright than it would if he was in good condition. Rob and Lachlan are in the middle of the floor, Lachlan unmoving on his stomach and Rob just beginning to stir. Mitch is out cold near where I am, his arm bent at an odd angle. It seems we're at the bottom of the pit, in a hollowed out area with a hallway stretching in front of us. At the end of this hallway is the daylight I saw a few minutes ago.

     "That was quite a fall..." I comment, glancing up at the drop above us.
     "Jerome? Vikk? Where are we?" A weak voice sounds, which we soon discover to be Rob, now sitting up.
     "The creepers chased us to the edge of the pit and we fell down." Jerome explains, pushing himself to his feet.
     "Oh..." Rob says frowning, "Not exactly what I was thinking in terms of getting down here."
     "Well it's a good think we didn't break anything." Jerome states, cracking his back.
     "You spoke to soon Jerome, look at Mitch." A fourth voice joins.

     Lachlan's now awake too, he seems to have caught enough of the conversation to figure out what's going on. He nods towards Mitch, and we all glance at his bent arm, which is clearly broken.

Just then Preston's skin glows a tad brighter, and he too is regaining consciousness. He groans and rubs his back, pulling himself into a sitting position. Preston's eyes flicker around the room, between the four of us all massaging our head, Mitch still sprawled out on the floor, the hallway to our right, and the drop above within three seconds.

"I'm assuming you put two and two together?" Rob comments when Preston doesn't ask any questions.
"Yep."

The next few minutes, which seem to drag on for an eternity, are filled with nothing but silence. Not even a single ghastly call from a mob rings out. And then finally Mitch shifts, clearing up some unseen tension in the air. Mitch yelps out in pain the second he tries to push himself up, leaving him once again on the ground. His eyes drift our way helplessly, and he opens his mouth. But I decide to cut in before he wastes his breath.