Chapter 56 ~ Unfinished business

Oliver's POV

Four months later - Christmas eve

"Ashley can you please eat your breakfast a little bit faster." I pleaded as I finished dressing Alexandra, he had more on the floor and the table rather than in his mouth. It was Christmas eve and I promised to take Ashley to see Santa as well as buying a few last minute presents for some people. There was a knock on the door and I groaned, I didn't need any more distractions, I placed Alex on the floor next to her toys and opened the door. My eyes went wide at the woman standing in front of me "Hello Oliver." She smiled "Can I come in?" I didn't have time to reply before she moved me aside and stepped in the front door quickly making her way over to Alex. I closed the door and leant on the doorway "Veronica isn't here at the minute Karla." I stated as she picked Alex up, I looked down at my watch wondering how long this would take "What a shame." she replied, her voice drenched in sarcasm "Have somewhere to be do you?"

"Yes actually, why are you here?" I replied, generally interested

"I'm here to see you and my grandchildren." she answered and I just stood staring at her "Just because me and my excuse of a daughter don't get a long doesn't mean that we can't, I've always thought you were a nice boy Oliver, I hold nothing against you."

"I know it's just I don't think V would be too happy with you being here and being with the kids." I said honestly and she wrinkled her nose at the sound of her name "Speaking of her, where is she anyway, I thought she'd be protecting these two with her life." My mind started spinning on whether I should lie or not "She's away on business, she didn't want to go but I practically made her." I laughed hoping she'd believe it, Karla raised an eyebrow as a disapproving look crossed her face "Anyway I have to go into town, Ashley wants to see Santa." I told her, hoping this would be a good enough reason for her to leave. Karla looked over to the table at the sleeping boy with food round his mouth, she chuckled lightly. "Oliver, I know it's probably unreasonable of me but I want to come with you, I want to spend time with my family and life's too short to miss out on the important things, so please can I?"

I looked deep into her eyes and I saw nothing but a genuine plead to see her grandchildren, was this a good idea? Veronica would hate me if I allowed it but she wasn't here "Yeah, come on we better get going."

----------

Ashley fell asleep not long after we visited Santa so I allowed Karla to take Alex while I carried him around. "Where are we going now?" she asked 

"I have to get a few things for my mum, last minute I know." I chuckled as we walked down the street and passed several clothes shops which Karla took an interest in every one of them, I doubted we'd get the jewellery store at this rate. "What do you think to that scarf Oliver?" she cooed and pointed to a purple silk scarf hanging in the window. "Erm...it's a scarf...?" I hesitated, not really sure how to compliment a scarf. Karla hit me lightly on the arm "You men, you're all the same when it comes to fashion, this is rude of me but can I go and buy it?" she asked

"Sure, We'll wait out here though it's too busy inside." I told her, Karla quickly nodded and rushed off inside. "Women." I mumbled to Ashley who had recently woke up "You'll have this all to come little man." he laughed even though he understood nothing that I was saying. The snow began to fall and Ashley reached out grabbing the tiny snow flakes "Look!" he said, looking down at his hand completely amazed "Gone"

"Yeah, gone." I laughed, catching a few myself. The air seemed to get colder, I shivered "Where's your grandma." I mumbled, wrapping my coat around me tighter 

"Gone!" Ashley laughed

"Oliver?" A voice disturbed me from my thoughts, I looked down to see Karla putting on her scarf "Sorry I was in my own world." I muttered "Ready to go?"