Chapter 61 ~ Another love

Oliver's POV

To my surprise I woke up alone and that was unusual considering V was always the type of person to not get up until the afternoon. If I was honest it didn't look like she had slept here at all, her pillow was completely smooth, not a crease in sight and her side of the mattress was cold. I rubbed my eyes and got up, my head was pounding and I groaned, walking into the bathroom to take some painkillers. I decided to go look for V, she probably slept downstairs or something but as I got to the bottom of the stairs and walked down the hall way making my way into the kitchen I saw something out of the corner of my eye.

I slowly moved backwards and looked in the living room sure enough there was Veronica, standing there emotionlessly, her skin was usually pale but this time there was a light blue tint to it, I stood watching her but she didn't move or blink. I approached her "V?" I asked skeptically but she don't reply, I reached out and my fingertips grazed her arm, I hissed at the coldness and if I was honest it was a bit worrying. "Veronica" I said a bit louder this time and I grabbed her waist and turned her to face me, shaking her a little. At first she didn't respond but then she shook her head and began to blink again, her light blue eyes were now dark with thick black circles under them from what I could only guess as lack of sleep. "Sorry? I just zoned out for a second" she mumbled and ran her fingers through her hair. Was she joking?

"What are you going on about? You've been like this for hours, you're freezing, didn't you sleep?" I asked, my eyes widening a little at how fragile she looked, she looked physically and emotionally drained. I raised my hand to stroke her cheek and she flinched away slightly, did she think I was going to hit her? My mouth opened in shock and so did hers "I didn't think you were going to..." She trailed off "I-I- sorry."

I nodded my head but in all honesty I was still hurt that she flinched away from me. "Have you been here all night?" I questioned and she thought about it for a second "I think so, I can't remember"

"You should probably get some sleep V, it's not healthy" I replied a little concerned "Come on" I grabbed her hand and started to lead her to the stairs but she suddenly stopped "No!" She cried pulling her hand away from mine "I can't! I'm fine"

I furrowed my eyebrows "Well we both know that's obviously not true..." I mumbled and she looked hurt by something. "You obviously know nothing." she snapped and I took a step back not expecting her tone of voice she sighed "Look I'm sorry, I just don't need to sleep, honestly"

Her words said one thing but the thick black circles under her eyes said another and I knew which one that I was more inclined to believe. "Then can we just lie in bed? You're freezing, you don't have to sleep, I promise" I persuaded and she looked wary at first but then accepted my offer and made her way upstairs. I followed her and watched as she climbed into bed still in last nights clothes, her eye make up was smudged around her face and her long blonde hair was rather knotted together. I grabbed one of my shirts out of the wardrobe and she took her dress off, gratefully taking the shirt and sliding it over her head.

I closed the curtains and the room grew dark, V snuggled down and tried to keep her eyes open but she was desperately losing the battle. I went to walk out of the door leaving her to sleep but she called me back "Lie with me?" She pleaded and I nodded, climbing into bed with her and pulling her into my chest which she rested her head on. I ran my fingers through her hair continuously but she remained awake, staring at the wall. "Close your eyes" I mumbled and she looked at me with tears in her eyes "I can't" she whimpered and I looked at her questionably "Why not?"

"He's coming"

"Who's coming?" I whispered but it was too late, she was already asleep and I doubt she'd be waking up anytime soon. I looked down at the sleeping woman in my arms and she looked destroyed but I just couldn't understand why, what had happened to make her stay up all night? Maybe the answer was right in front of me, maybe I was too blind to see it.