Prologue

The garment slides onto my body, a flowing sea of light red silk. One thin strap goes over my shoulder, and the bottom ends in a mermaid style. 

"It's gorgeous!" I gush as Penina zips it up.

She smiles sweetly, "I'm glad you love it. Now come on Miss! You must get your hair and makeup done before the carpet!" 

She snags a pair of shining pumps, and grasps my hand. We rush into the next room, stumbling. I fall behind a little, my short stature not able to compete with Penina's long strides. The second I plop down in front of the vanity, my face is attacked with a plethora of brushes and powders. 

My ears ring with, "Pucker your lips sweetie!" and, "Bat those eyelashes for me!" 

I execute each action they demand, knowing the process will be over as soon as it started. The feeling of bristles against my face disappears, and instead, Fernando, my hair stylist, gets to my hair. He pulls each strand back tight, designing a braided crown atop my head. 

Amidst the chaos of making me read carpet ready, somebody busts through the door. 

"We have to leave right now!" Christy shouts. 

In one last puff of powder and steaming of my dress, my body looks like something out of a fairy tale. 

I grin at the image in the mirror,"Perfect! Now let's go!"

I rush down my grand staircase, holding my heels in my hand. The last thing needed right now is a broken ankle. Fernando and Penina hold my dress up as I load into the limo, keeping the fabric from getting messy. 

My long time best friend, Christina, giggles like a schoolgirl as I jump in, "Really Tris, could you not be late for one event?"

I roll my eyes, a playful grin itching at my lips, "I couldn't do that without destroying the balance of the universe." 

My eyes skirt over her outfit, a gorgeous navy blue gown, strapless, with an intricate beading pattern on the bodice. 

"Well, you look gorgeous." I admire, gesturing to her elegant persona. 

She laughs, "That's because my stylists start on time, you should try it out!" 

I roll my eyes, "Like you haven't been late before. You're 23! It has to have happened before!"

She stubbornly shakes her head, "It's one of my life goals to always be on time. Fame waits for nobody." 

We both giggle at her stupid comment, letting loose before we arrive at the red carpet. 

Everyone is expected to be so prim and proper somewhere like that, a tiny mistep could be caught by the hundreds of camera's tracking your every step. 

"We are approaching the carpet ladies!" The limo driver shouts back to us.

The car rumbles onto the side of the carpet, our cue to get out. 

I hold my dress back, and the door is opened for me. The second I am able to stand, there is a tornado of yells and flashes of the press and paparazzi. And so it begins.