Chapter 44

3 months later

I rock Noah back and forth, rubbing his soft cheek, "It's okay baby boy, you're okay." I coo, making his wails diminish. 

He sniffles, and his eyes flutter shut. Fits can sure wear out a baby. I gently set him down in his crib, and he snuggles with his teddy bear. 

I quietly tip toe out of the room, and close the door behind me. I let out a deep breath, and rub my temple. It's 4 in the morning, I have to get back up at eight to prepare for the wedding, and I just had to spend two hours getting Noah back to sleep. I'm just glad that we are in Chicago already, and don't have to deal with people hoarding my babies with cameras. 

I walk groggily back to my bedroom, and push the door open. Tobias is passed out, snoring, and for some reason Ava is sleeping on top of his stomach. I shake my head, and crawl into bed next to them. I put a hand on Ava's back, and snuggle into my blanket. Slowly, I drift back to sleep. 

------------------------

I wake to a little hand smacking my face. I open one eye, and Ava has a big grin on her face. 

"Good morning little one!" I say, grabbing her hands. 

She blows bubbles from her mouth, and I laugh, "Where's daddy?" 

She rolls over on the bed, still blowing bubbles. I grab her, laughing, and hold her on my hip. She plays with my hair, as I get up. A small piece of paper is taped onto the door, and I know Tobias must have written it. I tear it away. 

Dear Tris,

I woke up early, and grabbed Noah. We are over at Zeke's house getting ready. The girls will be over at eight to help you get ready. I love you, and can't wait to see you walk down the aisle today. 

Your soon-to-be husband, 

          Tobias Eaton

I bounce Ava, "Are you excited?" 

She sticks out her tongue. 

"I take that as a yes!" I say, holding her arms out. 

She claps, and leans forward, trying to get out of my arms. 

"Hold on baby! We have to get you all changed, and then I can feed you!" I say, leaning her forward.

She settles down, and leans her head on my shoulder. I carry her over to her nursery, and set her on the changing table. She rolls around, and pulls at the diapers as I take off her onesie. 

"You are just a wiggle worm!" I exclaim. 

She smiles, and starts blowing bubbles again. 

I take off her diaper, and immediately gag. I think she had an explosion overnight, how did I not smell this? She keeps smiling as I wipe her little bottom. 

"You are so stinky!" I laugh, putting baby powder on her. 

She laughs. She...laughs. I gasp, "Ava! That was your first laugh!" I exclaim, picking her straight up. She laughs again, pulling at my hair. 

I set her down gently, smiling, and finish putting her diaper back on. In hindsight, I probably should have done that before picking her up. 

I take off her bed clothes, and replace it with light purple onesie that says, "Daddies Little Princess", and black leggings. Finally, we go downstairs, and I warm up a bottle of milk for her. Thinking of that makes me laugh, yesterday, Tobias found my pump, and thought it was some kind of medieval torture device.