Chapter 5

The next morning, Mom wakes me up at seven. I rub my eyes, and sit up. "Come on darling! It's time to help me with the garments." I groan,"Why this early?" She laughs,"Fashion waits for no one, and no thing. Especially sleep." 

I reluctantly get up and put on a black tank top and a black high waisted skirt. Of course, I go with flats. Being in heels all week is killing my feet. I pull my hair into two braids, and put on a little bit of concealer. I stick to Christina and I's promise of no makeup but concealer. 

I walk out, still drowsy. Mom grabs my arm and drags me down the stairs. Chef tosses me a muffin and mouths,'Good luck'. I chuckle, letting mom pull me outside into the limo. "Quickly darling! I have a dozen TOP models waiting for us at the studio!" Mom exclaims. 

"How much coffee have you had this morning? Or do you really have that much energy?" I question, giving her the,'It's to early for this shit' look. She smiles like a hyper 3 year old,"I started on my caramel frappe, and I got you one. Please don't fall asleep at the studio!"

I give her a small smile, grateful. I take a little sip, and let the warm frappe trickle down my throat. "Well thanks for this. Besides Christina and Shauna, will I know anyone?" She shakes her head,"Nobody you are friends with, but you will for sure know their names." 

Great, I won't have to socialize too much. The ride to her studio is quick and quiet, how I prefer it when I'm this tired. 

When we walk in, her studio is buzzing with activity. Mom brings to my own room, where the gorgeous garment I am to be adorned with, is displayed on a mannequin. I gawk at the silk fabric, not yet pieced together, but pinned in place. 

The shoulders of the garment lay on another table, formed out of wires. They are shaped like pyramids. "That is so elegant!" I exclaim. She smiles,"I'm glad you like it."

We go out of the room, into another area where models are hustling around. Mom grabs a chair, and climbs on top. "Ladies!" She says, with a clap of her hands.

The movement slows, and stops. "Welcome, to our studio. You have been here for a few days, and I'm hoping some of you get to try on garments today."

Some of the girls cheer. After all, wearing these garments is their job. "I would also like to introduce the model wearing my star garment, my beautiful daughter, Tris Prior!"

Some of the girls clap, and some give me looks of jealousy. How petty, it's only a garment. "Now, I'd like you to all go to your areas, today I have stylists experimenting with hair styles. Thank you ladies!"

I give her a hand and she hops off the chair. "Now, Tris, I need you to help with the design of your friends dresses. They are waiting near your room." She explains, dragging me on.

When we walk in their room, Christina and Shauna squeal. "Thank you Mrs. Prior!" they both say in unison.

I laugh at how excited they are. I guess I got used to the buzz of models. My mom has been doing this for a long time.

We start by getting all of our measurements, so Mom can tailor to our sizes. Christinas garment is similar to mine, but mermaid style. Her hips are caged, similar to my shoulders.

Shaunas dress is knee length and tight the whole skirt is surrounded by a cage, and the bodice is caged.

We all help with the dresses, until Shauna, Christina and I's hair stylists arrive. They usher us out to try hair styles. Mom walks out and starts helping deciding on styles.

After what seems like hours, Mom dismisses us all. She stays afterward to help everyone putting up.

I wait for her in the car, and cool down the car. She walks out after 15 minutes or so, and locks the studio behind her.

She gets into the car, and wipes the beads of sweat from her forehead. "I'm glad your friends were so helpful. At this rate we will be done says early!"

I smile,"No problem mom. You know we all love you." She puts the car on drive and we start back for downtown.

"Do you want to go downtown? I haven't gotten to just walk around in so long." I suggest. She shrugs,"I'm fine with that. We can grab some lunch on the way in."

She turns on the exit and we are starting to approach the extravagant buildings. I will never let go of the beauty of this city. We can here the hustle and bustle of the heart of the city as we get closer.

We find the cheapest parking garage we can, and she parks as far from other cars as possible. I grab my bag and phone, and hop into the perfect L.A. air. We both put on our sunglasses.

We parked pretty high, so I suggest taking the elevator. Mom gladly agrees. The air in the elevator is stale, and I pucker my nose at the scent of body odor.

"I love Hollywood, but the stench is either wondrous or awful. " Mom laughs,"I've never heard such a true statement."

The elevator dings, and we step out. I try to get to the first store I see, a hat store. "I have some hairbands, how about some big floppy hats to keep away the parasite paparazzi. I insist.

"I'm down, but your old mother is too out of date to be dazed and followed by the paparazzi anymore." I laugh,"Please. You are amazing Mom."

She smirks,"Thank you, Beatrice. " I give her a stink eye, she knows I hate my full name.

She giggles, and we begin looking through the rows of hats. We keep on the glasses, that being the only protection at the moment. I find a cute sparkly black hat, with a huge rim that flips over my face just enough. I can see, but my face is covered.

Mom picks out a similar one in white. She pays for them both. I notice the second glance the cashier gives us. Thankfully, she shakes it off.

We immediately put on the hats and walk out. The sun is toasty on my skin, and makes me shiver with delight. The streets are, as always, crowded with people.

I glance around. We walk wordlessly, just enjoying the feeling of the city. "Chipotle!" Mom says. She grabs my hand, and drags me in. "God mom, you are gonna make me fat."

She shakes her head,"Picky picky." In here, the servers grab our arms without saying anything but,"Inside or outside." We both reply with outside.

The server is so rough. He sets us out side and throws menus on the table. You must know one thing in L.A. It may be a dream, but the people are not.