Chapter 4

After my head is stitched, the doctor sends me off with some gauze and a strong pain pill. Shauna drives me home.

It's pretty silent, how I like it, until we pull into our street. "Before I drop you off, What's with the number boy?" She asks.

I smile at the mention of him,"We met at my meet and greet. Four is really sweet. And he just happened to be there when that pizza guy pulled me out." I explain. She smiles,"Sounds like a keeper."

I grin,"And I just met him. But yes. He does sounds like a keeper."

°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●°•○●

I still feel a little guilty for ruining the pool party, but I figured they would get over it. When I got home, I changed into a sports bra and fleece pajama pants.

I grab my phone and a large quilt my mom made for me, and snuggle up in my bed.

"Genevieve!" I call. My head stings a little from yelling, the headache still throbbing.

She responds, quickly, and makes sure not to hurt my headache,"Yes Miss. Prior?" I can tell she's out of breath.

"Could you request some burritos or some thing for me? Then take the rest of the day off. Also, request 4 dozen cookies for your kids."

The gratefullness on her face makes me overfill with joy."Yes! Of course Miss! Thank you!" She waddles off excitedly.

I grab my TV remote and switch on a movie. Maybe I can text Four, he was so sweet earlier. I pull up his contact, and test a dozen texts before sending, Hey Four😎

I smile, hoping he replies quickly. I see the three dots saying he's typing. I think I'm anticipating this too much. He finally replies. I can't talk. Helping my dad.

I frown. I wish he would be able to talk. I need someone different to talk to. For now, I settle for talking to Christina.

Hey Loser. Can we talk? I wait a few minutes before she replies. Sure... U ok?🤔 I am glad someone answered. I'm just scared. What if this happens again?

I know its not very likely it will, but I don't doubt anything. Don't worry. I'll help you. So will number man. I giggle. He's so tough, I think he would hit her  if she said it in front of him.

I hope. He's busy now though. Can I talk to you later, I'm going to go soak. I turn of my phone and start running warm water in the tub. I drip some lavender oil and Epsom salt in to relax me, and lock my door. I put my phone in a lifeproof case for if I need to use it.

The staff knows not to bother me when the door is locked. I leave the bathroom door open to keep it from steaming up, and undress. When I dip my body in the water, I instantly feel soothed.

I turn on some music and close my eyes absorbing into my thoughts. Breath in, out, in.

The water switches off automatically. Its so calm for maybe twenty minutes, when someone bangs on my locked door.

"BEATRICE PRIOR! IT'S YOUR MOTHER!" She tells through the door. "DO NOT LOCK YOUR DOOR ON ME!" I hop out, yelling as I dry off,"I was in the bath! Be right there Mama!" I yell excitedly.

I haven't seen my mom in a year and a half, I can't believe she made it! She has been a designer since her early twenties. She married my dad when they had me. Now, they are both 45, and rarely have time to meet with me.

I throw on pajamas, seeing how it's already rounding up on nine pm. I unlock the door and run out into my mother's arms, squealing like a teenager.

"How'd you find time to make it!" I exclaim. She pulls me away as we head down the stairs.

"I have a collection showing my new designs. I want you to show my star garment!" She says.

My face lights up,"Of course Mom! But, does that mean dad isn't here?" I wuestion. Her face terms solemn. "Unfortunately, yes, darling. He's gotten sick, and wasn't fit to travel."

I look down, "It's ok. I get it hard on him now that..." I stop. Last year, my father was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. We never told the media, and he ended up getting better. But I'm guessing his symptoms are getting worse.

She pulls my chin up,"Its ok honey. I know he means a great deal to us, but he loves us. Don't forget that."  I smile,"Thanks mom. Now, how about a night snack?"

Mom rubs her stomach,"That would be great." We walk to the kitchen, and I see Chef (He does insist we refer to him as Chef , though his real name is John), taking a nap.

It's ok. He can go to his room here. I insist that my staff have there own quarters, for when they work late. I have people visiting even when I'm not in the house, so they are constantly working to keep the house tidy.

We tip toe into the kitchen, and I go through my personal junk food stash. Mom grabs some Oreos, and I grab a bottle of coke and Doritos.

We go to the home theater, and I turn on Elf, even if Christmas is two and a half months away. Elf is by far my favorite comedy.

I pop the cap off my drink, and take a sip. Mom settles in,"So, about my garment. They are avante garde. I have different cage overlays and such. Your particular piece is a long black strapless dress, with a beaded bodice. It has wire cage shoulders. Very unique." She pulls out her sketchbook.

I admire the drawing. She does quick sketches, but they always look amazing.

"I couldn't be more excited! Could Shauna and Chrissy model?" I ask. Her eyes light up,"I was just going to ask if you had any friends to recommend!"

I smile. My mom is so sweet, even when she doesn't try. She stated at me lovingly, before she suddenly turns grim.  "Tris what happened to your head?" She finally noticed the stitches in my scalp.

I clear my throat,"I, I tripped. And um. I hit my head on the bricks." She raises an eyebrow,"Beatrice tell me the truth. You are an absolutely awful liar."

My eyes water a little. I dont want her to be scared. "IF I tell you the truth. You promise not to kill someone?"

She jokingly taps her chin, like she is thinking,"Fine. Unless it was a murder attempt."

I breath heavy,"I was in my bikini, waiting for everyone else so we could have a pool party, and the pizza guy came. He tried to.... he tried to kiss me. I wouldn't let him, so he hurt me. Until a man named Four came and saved me."

She looks horrified. "I'm so sorry baby. I'm sorry I wasn't there." I smile,"Its ok mama. It isn't your fault."

She gives me a bone crushing hug,"I'm so glad baby. Just so glad you are here."