Chapter 20: Stuck In Wonderland?*

Max's POV:

I couldn't stop thinking about Ace and the way he gets me. I guess he just brings out the best of me.

"Stuck in wonderland?" Alex asked laughing.

"Shut up," I said.

"Well I wouldn't care, but you're driving right now," Alex said and I rolled my eyes.

"You should trust my driving skills; I race," I said.

"Yeah, but I don't want to fear for my life when I am in a car with you," Alex said and I laughed.

"That is so mean," I said.

"So were you thinking about Ace?" Alex asked, "Max I know you think that you still like Caleb, but I don't think you do anymore. I think that you have grown feelings for Ace."

"That's not true Alex," I said.

"The way that you look at him says otherwise. Martin and I agree on that," Alex said.

"I really don't Alex. I like him as a friend. So how about you and Martin then?" I asked and Alex groaned.

"I am still with Ken remember? And I just met Martin, how could I sprout feelings that fast?" Alex asked.

"You never know," I said my voice trailing off.

I walked into the house and saw my Mom on the couch sleeping with the TV on. I went to get the remote and turned the TV off. I went over to her and shook her awake.

"What? Oh hi Max. How was the party?" she asked yawning.

"You need more sleep Mom," I said, "Take on less shifts. You know that I also make money."

"I don't want you to worry about the house and necessities," Mom said, "You already worry about your car insurance and clothes."

"I can take on more responsibility Mom. I am 21 years old and I am pretty sure that I have to go through that in the future," I said.

"I don't want you to get stressed honey. You are young; just live your life while you can. And I don't want you to take long hours at the café and other places to earn money," Mom said.

"Mom, I can do it. Just let me help with the bills okay? I can do it," I explained, "Or at least get more rest Mom. You won't be a good nurse unless you are a good nurse to your body."

"Okay Max," Mom said and hugged me, "I am going to go to sleep. Goodnight honey." Mom walked upstairs and I sighed. She doesn't know that I earn thousands every night. I walked upstairs and went into Macy's room.

"Max?" she asked.

"Did I wake you up honey?" I asked.

"No you didn't Max, I just woke up because I couldn't sleep. Can you sing me the lullaby?" she asked yawning and I nodded.

"Of course Macy," I said and started to sing.

Ace's POV:

I got inside and saw my Mom and Jayden on the couch sleeping. I went over and carried Jayden and walked upstairs to tuck him in bed.

"Ace?" Jayden asked sleepily.

"Shush bud, I am just moving you to your bed," I said and pulled the covers over him.

"Did you have fun?" he asked and I nodded.

"I did, lots," I said.

"Can you tell me about it?" Jayden asked.

"In the morning," I said.

"Okay, goodnight," Jayden said and went back to sleep. I walked downstairs and saw Mom awake.

"Did you have fun at the party sweetie?" Mom asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, it was really fun. I actually saw Max there," I said.

"Max? What is she doing there?" Mom asked.

"Well her uncle is the owner of Flex Fitness," I said and Mom nodded.

"Makes sense, Max is a nice girl isn't she?" Mom asked and I nodded.

"Yeah she is," I said.

"And beautiful," Mom said.

"Yeah, she is," I said.

"Well I am heading to bed, don't stay up too late alright?" Mom asked and I nodded.

"Of course Mom," I said.

***

The next day, I got off my bike and went inside the Big Apple Café where Max works. I didn't just go here to see Max, but I also like the café. I walked inside and went to the register and decided to order lunch.

"Hi, how may I help you?" Alex asked, "Oh hey Ace."

"Um can I get the BLT and a vanilla milkshake?" I asked and Alex nodded.

"Max is over waiting tables by the way," Alex said while typing into the cash register.

"Um, I wasn't-" I said.

"No, but you were thinking it," Alex interrupted, "Don't test me."

"Okay," I said putting my hands up in surrender.

"Max should be by your table with your food," Alex said handing me my receipt.

"Okay, thanks Alex," I said and walked to a table and sat down.

"I have your BLT and your milkshake," Max said while placing my food in front of me.

"Thanks Max," I said, "Do you have time to talk later?"

"Yeah during my break which is in 20 minutes," she said looking at her watch, "Can you wait that long?"

"Yeah of course," I said and took a bite out of my sandwich. I pulled out my phone and checked my racing schedule. Soon Max was on her break and she sat down in front of me.

"Hey, so what did you want to talk about?" she asked with a smile.

"Um, well I just wanted to talk, friends talk right?" I asked and she chuckled.

"Yes they do. So you are saying that we are friends?" she asked and I nodded.

"Of course we are," I said, "So um, Martin actually is interested in Alex."

"Yeah, I can tell. Alex has a boyfriend, but they have been distant lately," she said and I nodded.

"What do you mean distant?" I asked.

"Well he hasn't spoken to her in a while and she is pretty worried about it," she said, "I want her with a guy that is good for her."

"Yeah, but I can assure you that even though Martin seems goofy, he is really nice and honest," I said.

"I can tell Ace, I am on Martin's side rather than Ken's," she said.

"Ken is the boyfriend?" I asked and she nodded.

"Ken Ramos," she said, "He lives in LA, where Alex and I went to school."

"Oh," I said nodding, "So New York is your home?"

"Yep," she said.

********************************

Hey guys! I am back with another update and I look to see that we have 933 reads? Oh my gosh, we are so close to getting 1000 reads! My goal for votes is going to be 60 votes and I really hope that you guys could help me get there. So.....

Vote

Comment: Are you #TeamMaleb or #TeamMace? Also could you guys think of better ship names for Max and Caleb or Max and Ace?

Share

Follow

Instagram: cpearl89.writer

Episode: Endless Fighting by CPearl

Have a great day/night fighters!

-C