Chapter 40: Help Me Understand*

"Max?"

"Ace?"

"You are back?" he asked and I almost thought that I heard a stutter.

"Yeah, you work here?" I asked.

"Yeah, I ran into Ty a while ago," Ace said awkwardly, "So when Ty described a talented mechanic, he meant you. That isn't a surprise." I felt a smile tugging at my lip and looked at the ground for a little bit.

"Well could you get the box for me?" I asked and he nodded. He went into the back and soon remerged with a couple boxes in his arms. He set them on the table and I signed the form that I had received my tools.

"So are you racing again?" Ace asked.

"Yeah and fighting. Isn't it obvious?" I asked and we both chuckled. I took one box and Ace took the other two.

"Where's your car?" he asked following me. I lead him to my Lamborghini and he put the boxes in the back seat.

"Thanks for helping me Ace. I really appreciate it," I said.

"No problem," he said wiping the dust off his hands, "You look great by the way."

"Thank you," I said fixing my bandana, "So I guess if you are working at Ty's, I will be seeing you often?"

"Yeah I guess," he said and I smiled.

"Bye Ace," I said getting into my car, "It's nice seeing your smile again." You are probably thinking, wow, aren't I straight forward, but it's true. It was nice seeing Ace's smile again and I didn't care. Ace looked speechless when I pulled out and I didn't know if I regretted saying that. Honestly, I wasn't even thinking, I just said what was on my mind. I pulled into my garage and saw that John was already there.

"That was quick," John said and I smiled.

"It's not that far if you wanted to go next time," I said and he shrugged.

"Nah, I rather hang here," he said rolling up his sleeves.

"Ready to get started?" he asked.

"Always yes," I said and we both got to work trying to improve my motorcycle. This time, I wasn't going to let my dad ran away, I was going to catch him and he was going to be punished for what he had done wrong.

Ace's POV:

I can't believe that Max is back in town after 2 years. I got to admit that she is still as beautiful as ever. Her being back brought back so many good memories, but also the memory of her farewell letter that I still haven't thrown away. I have tried to though. After a couple months of her leaving, I found myself renting an apartment so I could have space to myself. I wanted to be more independent and now Martin and Alex are going to be my neighbors. That day that Martin came to me asking if I forgave Max, I said that I didn't know if I could. I wanted to forgive her because I knew that she probably had a good reason for leaving, but another part of me thinks that she probably has an amazing life without me. Was it selfish of me to think this?

"Hey did Max come by to pick up her stuff?" Ty asked as he entered his shop. Ty Blackwell is in his thirties and is a pretty cool person.

"Yeah, except you could have mentioned that Max was the person," I muttered.

"I am guessing that you know her?" Ty asked and I nodded.

"She is my ex," I said and Ty nodded.

"Oh, was it a bad breakup or mutual? If you don't mind me asking," Ty said.

"It wasn't bad, but it was pretty awkward between us," I said.

"Do you still like her?" Ty asked.