Epilogue: New Beginnings*

Max's POV: 1 year later...

"Yes Director Vasquez, the mission in Chicago went smoothly," I said into my phone and I heard Director Vasquez chuckling on the other end of the line.

"Why am I not surprised Agent Evans," he said, "Are you on the jet right now?"

"Yeah, we are landing right now," I replied while looking out of the window of the private jet.

"Is Agent Walter there?" Director asked and I frowned.

"No, apparently there was an emergency at the New York Bureau, so he left early to see what was up," I explained.

"Alright, make sure that you will send in a detailed mission report to me as soon as possible," Director reminded and I rolled my eyes.

"You know I will Director," I retorted and Director laughed.

"See you soon Agent," he said.

"See you soon Director Vasquez," I said and hung up the phone. I saw the private jet come to a complete stop before getting my stuff ready. As I walked down the aisle, I saw the pilot standing at the door.

"Have a good rest of the afternoon captain," I said politely and the pilot smiled.

"Have a great afternoon Agent Evans," he responded and I smiled back. I walked down the steps of the plane and inhaled in the fresh air. While I was walking over to the entrance of the New York FBI base, I admired all of the new planes and helicopters they were preparing. Over the year, I saw so many improvements to the New York Bureau and I hope that my ideas had made an influence on the system. A couple of the mechanics greeted me as I passed and I waved to them back. I will admit that I missed all the agents back at the D.C. base, but I have made many new friends and gotten closer to most of them. As I walked inside, I passed by the lobby and saw everyone hard at work and I went over to where the safe houses were to put my stuff there. I opened the door and expected John to be sitting on the couch, but I didn't see him there. I will probably ask Ace to pick up my suitcase and bring it back to our apartment later. I went over to the kitchen and grabbed a banana to eat. Simultaneously, I looked over at the clock to see that it was 3:00 p.m. Soon, my phone rang and I saw that it was an alert saying that I needed to report to Facility A immediately.

"Guess I am not going to get the rest of the day off," I said while sighing. I rushed over to Facility A and noticed that it was the new warehouse that was supposedly empty. While I opened the door, I made sure that my gun was within reach so I could pull it out if I needed to. As I walked to the middle of the room, I saw many agents emerging from the shadows and circled me. John was one of the agents.

"Draw your firearms," John ordered and all guns were pointed at me.

"What is going on?" I asked before I saw Ace enter the room and walked to me.

"Max-" he said before I interrupted him.

"What is going on Ace? You know that I can take you down in three seconds right?" I asked before he knelt down on one knee. He opened a velvet box and it revealed a stunning diamond. The band was simple and there were two small diamonds to each side of the diamond. My hands flew to my mouth.

"Maxine Evans, I haven't known you for a long time, but I feel like I know you inside and out. You continue to surprise me everyday with your beauty, intelligence, courage, and persistence. I love you with all my heart and promise to do so every single day of my life," he said and I could clearly see the tears in his eyes. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks and I chuckled in embarrassment.

"So Maxine Evans, will you make me the happiest and luckiest man in the world by marrying me," Ace asked, "-and these guns will not go down until you say yes." I laughed lightly and smiled.