Chapter 42: Maybe We Can Be Friends Again*

"Hey Ace, we need to talk," she said and I nodded.

"Come in," I said and she came in and we sat on the couch.

"I wanted to tell you the real story of what I had been up to these last two years," she started with her eyes on her fidgeting hands, "But you have to promise me not to say anything until the end."

"I promise Max, you can trust me," I said and saw her eyes softening up.

"It started the day after we went to the hospital. I was at the park when I met John..." she said. She started to tell me about how John wanted to recruit her as an FBI agent and how she accepted his offer. She told me about some experiences she had training to become an agent. It turns out that she continued classes to study Criminal Justice and Investigation to help with her job. Along with her past missions, I found out that she was only in New York for a mission to take down the Viper Gang for good. I was glad that she was able to tell me all these things and I respected her when she said that something was classified.

"Why did you want to become an FBI agent?" I asked her and she sighed.

"I saw it as my calling Ace. I know now that street fighting and racing is something I could never do for the rest of my life. I didn't see business as something I wanted to do as well. You know that I want to help people and this is a way that I could. This is also how I could get help to stop the Viper Gang," she explained, "I wanted to protect you and everyone else."

"Is this the career you see yourself doing in the future?" I asked.

"Yes, I see myself very clear with this job," she said.

"I am sorry about assuming things earlier. That was something I shouldn't have done..." I said trailing off and she chuckled.

"It's fine Ace, I understand your position. I mean it was kind of stupid of me to say goodbye to you through a letter. I mean, was I thinking straight at that time?" she joked and we both laughed.

"I still have your letter Max," I said.

"Why?" she asked with curiosity.

"I don't know, just a way to remember you," I said and she blushed.

"It feels like old times Ace," she said and I agreed.

"Maybe we can be friends again," I said and she smiled to herself.

"Yeah that would be great," she said, "I don't think I can live my life without you in it."

"Well I guess I am quite awesome and handsome," I said and she laughed.

"Yeah don't push it," she said and I chuckled, "Well it's getting late, I should get home."

"It's past eleven Max, just stay over here. I can always take the couch and you can take my bed," I said.

"No, I don't want to impose," Max said and I gave her a look, "Then let me take the couch."

"Nah, I am fine on the couch, I insist," I said and she nodded.

"Fine then," she said.

"Let me get something you can change into," I said and walked into my bedroom. I got one of my long t-shirts and gave it to her, "There are extra toothbrushes in the bathroom that you can use."

"Thanks," she said before wrapping her arms around me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and inhaled the familiar vanilla scent she always wears. She soon pulled away and went into the bathroom. I took this time to change into gym shorts and a t-shirt to sleep in. Knowing that the tension between Max and I were gone made me happy. There was one thing that bothered me though, why didn't she bring up our relationship? Why didn't I say anything?