Chapter 37: Goodbyes and Hellos*

I sat in the park watching the kids play and their parents running after them. It reminded me of when I was younger. I would always love to go on the monkey bars and climb on top of them. I guess I was a pretty active child when I was younger. Dad was always there for me; I remember the first time I went on the bars, I fell, but he was there to catch me. He was always there to catch me. I still remember the times when we would have picnics in the park. My mom and dad would follow me making sure that I didn't fall. We made so many memories together and I won't ever forget them, no matter what.

"What is a pretty girl like you doing in the park alone?" a guy asked while sitting down next to me.

"Just enjoying the scenery," I replied to him. He nodded and continued to look at me.

"I am John Walter," he said and stuck out his hand.

"I am Max Evans," I said shaking his hand.

"So Max, are you okay?" John asked nicely.

"I just made a mistake and now I am really regretting it," I said and John nodded.

"Was street fighting the mistake?" John asked and I put up my guard. How did he know about this?

"Uh," I said trying to think of something to say. He took out his wallet and handed me a card. It said, John B. Walter Federal Bureau of Investigations Special Agent.

"Yes, I am in the FBI and I have been assigned to find a partner. I want you to be my partner," John said and I was shocked.

"I have many questions," I said and John nodded.

"I figured, and I am ready to answer them," John said and I nodded.

"Okay, um how do I know that you are really an FBI agent, you could be a fraud," I said.

"Fine, search up the FBI website and call the phone number on it," John said and I nodded. I pulled up the phone number and called it.

"Hello, this is the Federal Bureau of Investigation Services, how may I help you?" the woman asked.

"I would like to ask about John B. Walter," I said.

"I am sorry, but I cannot release any information on Mr. Walter," the woman said.

"I understand, thank you," I said and hung up.

"Do you believe me now?" he asked and I nodded.

"Okay, I do. Why do you want me to be your partner?" I asked.

"Well I did a background search on you and you fit all the qualities that I want from a partner," John said.

"But I don't even know you John," I said.

"Well we can get to know each other while we train," John said, "Not only do I want you to join, but the head wants to recruit you anyways."

"Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"So what do you say?" he asked, "Move to Washington D.C. with me?"

"I have to ask my best friend," I said, "I don't want to make the wrong decision."
"Totally fine, here is my phone number, call me when you get your answer alright?" John asked and I nodded.

"Thanks," I said.

***

"What do you mean that you want to move to Washington D.C. to become a FBI agent?" Alex asked with her hands on her hips.

"Well I literally got a call from the actual head and he wanted to recruit me," I said, "Alex, this could be fate; this could be the way that I can fix things."