Sabriel- In the arms of a hunter

The day Gabriel showed up at the bunker, looking like someones personal punching bag, was the day the winchester brothers nearly shit themselves. This archangel who they thought had been dead suddenly appears out of thin air in front of them. Of course they'd freak out. After the initial shock, the brothers stared at their had-been-fallen ally, now standing before them and looking as if he'd keel over at any given moment.

"Gabriel?" Sam was the first to react, shock written all over his face. The trickster locked eyes with him for a few moments, gave a weak smirk and a mock salute before proceeding to fall unconscious. Sam snapped out of his trance and made a run for it, managing to catch the smaller man before he had a chance to hit the ground and injure himself even further.

That happened just over a week ago and the archangel was still unconscious. The brothers had decided to take care of him as he recovered and let him stay in one of the many vacant rooms. They had also contacted Cas who was now glued to his older brother's side. Cas had been shocked to find out about Gabriel, but more than anything he had felt joy and relief. After all, Castiel loved his siblings, and had a certain soft side for Gabriel in particular.

Dean had gone out on a supply run and brought Cas with him, insisting that the angel needed some fresh air. The poor guy hadn't left Gabriel's side since he had gotten there. Reluctantly, Cas had agreed to go, leaving Sam in charge. Currently, the younger Winchester was seated next to Gabriel, watching as he slept. It felt a little funny to watch an angel sleep. To Sam, it should have been the other way around.

Sam let his hazel eyes sweep over Gabriel's body, curious as to what had happened to him. His exterior wounds had healed by Cas, but for some reason, Gabriel remained unconscious. Sam was startled out of his thoughts upon hearing a low groan escape the archangel. Sam's eyes widened and he leaned forward in anticipation. "Gabriel?" He asked, placing a hand on his arm in an attempt to rouse the sleeping trickster.

Very slowly, too slowly for Sam's liking, Gabriel's eyes fluttered open. "Hey hey, take it easy," Sam soothed upon seeing Gabriel's eyes widen and his breaths quicken in a slight panic. The Archangels golden eyes locked with Sam's and he relaxed, knowing he wasn't in danger. Unless of course Sam wanted revenge for the mystery spot incident. Gabe pushed the though away. He'd deal with that later.

"Heya Sammy," He muttered, surprising himself with how raspy and weak his voice sounded. Sam must have noticed as well because as soon as the words had left Gabe's lips, Sam cringed. "Hold on, let me get you some water," The hunter stood and left, returning shorty with a tall glass of ice cold water.

Gabriel reached out and downed the thing in seconds flat. Sam's eyes widened slightly, and he took the now empty glass, placing it on the nightstand. "Thanks," Gabriel breathed, sounding better already. "Uh yea, yea 'course," Sam muttered, watching him with wary eyes. Several moments of awkward silence passed before Sam couldn't take it any longer.

"You're supposed to be dead," He blurted out. "What..What the hell happened to you?" The hunter noticed Gabriel stiffen, and instantly regretted being so blunt. Sam noticed Gabriel begin to panic slightly, and felt a hing of fear creep into himself. This wasn't the Gabriel Sam and Dean had encountered all those years ago. Sam couldn't imagine what frightened this powerful being who seemed to be a bundle of candy and jokes, into looking like a scared child.

"Nothing," Gabriel spoke quickly and looked away. Sam frowned softly, feeling a little bad for asking, but then again, they did need to know what was going on. "Gabriel..You showed up a week ago looking like...Death, and freaking us out. Cas has been worried sick about you. Hell we thought Lucifer killed you..." Sam muttered, watching the archangel closely.