thirteen

/Kalee/

/Kalee/

"Vi, what happens when the generators run out of fuel?" Rick asks. Jenner looks down shamefully.

"Zone 5 will self destruct using HITS." The animated voice says. I furrow my brows together, Rick looks at us all confused.

"Vi... what are H.I.T.s?" he asks. It takes a moment, but the animated voice begins to explain. 

"H.I.T.s - high-impulse thermobaric fuel-air explosives consists of a two-stage aerosol ignition that produces a blast wave of significantly greater power and duration than any other known explosive except nuclear. The vacuum-pressure effect ignites the oxygen between 5,000 and 6,000 degrees and is used when the greatest loss of life and damage to structures is desired."

"It sets the air on fire. No pain, no sorrow, no grief... no regret." Jenner says to us.

My breath hitches in my throat. I back up against the wall, sliding down it.

"You know what this place is? We protected the public from very nasty stuff! Weaponized smallpox! Ebola strains that could wipe out half the country! Stuff you don't want getting out! Ever!" Jenner yells. I watch as he sits down in his seat, pressing a button and a camera pops on.

"Everyone, go pack your bags, Glenn, T-Dog and I will go check the generators." Rick says to us, running off with Glenn and T-Dog.

The rest of us run to our rooms, packing the little stuff we had. After I pack my own stuff, I go to Glenn's room, packing his as well.

I grab the two bags, making my wat out of the room as the lights and air supply shut off.

"Why did the air and lights shut off?" Daryl asks, coming out of his room. We all look down the hall, noticing Jenner walking back to the lab where we found out about everything. We follow him, hoping to get an answer.

"Like Vi said, zone 5 is shutting itself down." he says nonchalantly. Our whole group is in the room, I walk over to Glenn, handing him his back. He nods thankfully at me, and goes back to paying attention to the group.

****
/3rd person/

The door closes, as Jenner presses a button locking it, and goes back to typing on the computer.

The golden haired girl leaned up against the wall. She felt defeated after all she went through. She felt as if building the walls that held everything about her were worthless. She didn't know if  she wanted to die, without anyone knowing anything really about her.

The short dirty blonde held onto the young boy next to her. She buried her face into his shoulder, hot tears escaping her eyes. She wasn't ready to due. She wanted to keep her relationship with Carl growing.

The boy wanted this as well, as he had fell for this girl very fast. He wrapped his arms tightly around her, kissing the top of her head, holding back tears.

"What don't you understand about 'everything is gone'?" Andrea says to the fighting group. Everyone turns to her and frowns.

"See your friend understand. Why can you be more like her?" Jenner says, pointing at Andrea.

The men take axes,smashing the locked door. The women and children huddled together, some crying.

Tall dirty blonde stood off to the side, brushing her fingers through her short blonde hair, not knowing what to do.

Shane starts to fire rounds, trying to kill Jenner along with Daryl.

"We need to have this chance." Rick explains to Jenner. "We have to have hope."

"It was the French." Jenner starts he looks down and frowns slightly. "they were the last ones in the labs they felt they were so close to having a cure. It was our people that were opting out rations of suicides and just leaving to be with their families but she she just stayed. She stayed and hoped till the very end. She ran this wing, me? Im just Edwin Jenner, I just worked here. She was a lost to society, she could have saved us. But those things, they took her. They took her!" He shouts. Everyone watched as Jenner broke down crying.

"TS19...she was your wife. She was the one who ran this wing? Wasn't She?" Kendall said from across the room. Jenner just nodded, placing his head in his hands. He turned and pressed some buttons opening the door.

"The main level I cant unlock." He whispers, but we were able to hear.

Everyone made their way out, except 3 people. Jacqui, Andrea, and Kalee. Dale, T-Dog and Glenn turned and saw this, T-Dog gave in, understanding and left quickly. Glenn grabbed Kalees arm, forcing her up.

"Not today. Your not leaving me." He says, and she follows just going with it slightly shocked.

As they run up the stairs, Rick holds a bomb,

"Get down!" He yells to the group, everyone forces themselves to the ground, Glenn holds Kalee close to himself as the bomb goes off. As soon as this happens, they run out the window.

When they arrive at the RV and cars, they realize there was only a minute till the CDC will be gone forever.

"Dale and Andrea, there coming." Kendall says, looking out the window. She opens the RV door, yelling out to them to get down. They climv behind a sand bag, the people in the cars in RV duck down and huddle together furthest away possible from the building.

Glenn holds onto Kalee, as she seems shocked almost and dazed at what is happening. He is still worried about her, ever since last night. He covers most of her body with his own. She holds onto him, clutching his hand tightly.

The two were not dating, but they were close enough where everyone around them figured they were. They were in the same position as Emma and Carl, no room between the two f them.

As the CDC exploded, a rush of hot air invaded the cars and RV, everyone held their heads and bodies close together. As soon as the CDC fell, the RV door opened, the faces of a disappointed Andrea and sad faced Dale appeared. They looked at everyone and nodded, Dale sat in the drivers seat, starting the old RV.

Glenn and Kalee stayed in that position for awhile. He didn't bring up the fact that Kalee almost died, or the fact that he saved her life.

Carl and Emma looked at each other, she kissed him, then laid her head on his chest, putting her hand in his. He rubbed his thumb over her hand. A ghost of a smile was on her face as he did this.

****

The groups cars followed one another down the highway, they didn't know where they were going next. They knew they were going to Fort Benning, but after the CDC they had little hope it was still up.