thirty four

8  M O N T H S  L A T E R

8 M O N T H S L A T E R

/Kalee/

Drive, scavenge, drive, fight, drive kill.

That's all we have done. In 8 months, we had made loops, and circles and lines all across the map.

Lori was about to pop, he stomach looked like a watermelon. We all knew, that if we didn't find a place soon, a baby would be forced to run with us.

Rick had told us, the night that the barn had collapsed, the night that the farm was gone, something new.

Jenner had told him something, and he kept it from us. He said, that we were all infected. Whatever it was, we had it.

Rick hasn't been the same sense that night. He told us he killed Shane, for us. I knew something was up, and I had said it to Glenn even before Rick confessed. It was obvious something had gone down. When I told Glenn what I thought, he had agreed, he didn't think I was crazy

Over the past eight months, everyone had changed. We had adapted to surviving more. We never turned on each other, even when the food was low.

Glenn and I's relationship grew stronger, we had gotten closer over the past months. He watched out for me, and I watched out for him. We were still errand boys, going to find supplies for the group, get back and give it all to them. It pissed me off, but it's better than having Glenn go by himself. No one else would be good at the job that we do.

Daryl hunted whenever he could, every time we stopped for the night or day, he went in the woods. It helped us out a lot, but the winter was harsh. He couldn't find many animals then, so it was mostly up to Glenn and I.

Emma and Carl had become good with their guns. Whenever there was a lot of walkers, and we had to use bullets, they practiced. At first they continued to whine about the noise, but they got used to it. Their relationship grew stronger as well, always making sure each other are okay.

While Glenn and I's relationship and Emma and Carl's relation ship grew strong, someones grew weaker. Lori and Rick's. When he confessed about stabbing Shane, she stopped talking to him. Everyone else cared for her and helped her through her pregnancy. It was hard on the group, especially knowing the possible father to the child was alive, and able to help, but he didn't.

We pull into a long driveway, woods surrounding the log house that was in front of us. Silently, a few of us enter the house, looking for walkers. I walk upstairs with Daryl, his bow ready and my machete ready. I turn to the right, slowly opening a bed room door. Behind me I hear Daryl set off an arrow, I turn around to look, make sure there were no more walkers, only to see there was none to begin with.

I look at him confused, and he turns around, an owl in hand. I nod my head, turning back into the room I was checking. There was nothing in there but a few comic books, I grab them for Carl and Emma, since they had always read together. When I go downstairs I see everyone in a living room. They all sat in a circle, and looked at each other.

"Its secure." I say to them, dropping the books in front of Carl and Emma and walking over to Glenn. We sat in silence, Carl taking a knife to a can of dog food, trying to open it. Rick walks over to him, grabbing it from his hands. He looks at the can, then Carl.

Rick throws the can out of the room, everyone jumps at the sudden noise. He goes back and sits down, only for a moment.

"We gotta go." T-Dog says, looking out the window. I peek out the window closest to me, to see around 50 walkers making their way around the house.

"Move out, come on." Rick says, and grabs as much stuff as he can. I keep my small back pack on my back, and run out of the house, Glenn following. A few walkers had made their way to the car that Glenn, Maggie, Hershel, Beth and I took.

I kick one in the knee, stomping on its rotten head once it hits the ground. I hear Emma and Carl shooting their guns, not at the correct height to stab the walkers. I stab another walker as Hershel and Beth get into the car. Maggie runs up next to me, throwing everyone in our cars stuff into the trunk.

"Glenn, Kalee!" Maggie shouts and she closes her door, I glance at Glenn, and he runs to the drivers side, I go into passenger.

"Back to square one." I say, sighing and settling into my seat. Glenn continues to drive behind Rick, placing his hand on my knee.

"We'll find somewhere."

A D A Y L A T E R

"It cool if I go to the stream right here real quick? Get some water and check out the land." Daryl says, pointing to a stream on the map next to where we were stopped.

"Yea, i'll come with." Rick says, following him as he heads towards the woods line. "Stay here, as soon as we get back we are going to keep moving." He says to everyone.

We all sit on top of the cars, waiting for Rick and Daryl to come back. They had only been gone for Ten minutes when they came through the woods line. Rick had a smile, along with Daryl having a small one.

"What going on?" Kendall asks, noticing their smiling faces as well.

"We found something." Rick says, looking at Daryl. Daryl nods his head, and we wait for Rick to finish. "A prison. There's visible walkers out in the courtyard. No signs of walls down. It looks secure." He tells us.

I look at Glenn, a smile plastered on his face. Everyone smiles and Lori holds her stomach, rubbing it, she knew they found a good place for having the baby. When we got up to the prison, the gate was locked from the inside.

"Lets cut the gate on left side, go in that way."